Turn on thread page Beta

Do any of you leave your Sat Nav in the car? watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviously for other people like me who don't have have an inbuilt one, do you leave it in the boot of the car or do you take it with you?

I always leave it in the boot and this mate said I shouldn't because it will become damaged from moving about in the boot e.t.c Can't keep it in glovebox as stack full of cd's.

ReputationRep:
    Nope dont leave it in the car. Only use it rarely, so keep it next to the computer so it can be updated when needed!

ReputationRep:
    No, because I use a map or instinct. I dont let sat nav lead me into a river

ReputationRep:
    Never leave anything valuable in my car and I keep my glovebox open when I park...

Mainly because my car was broken into and they stole my Ipod, radio, and sat nav from the glovebox.

Keep it where ever you want to. Keep it in the box in the boot?

ReputationRep:
    When i need to go on a long journey (which is the only time i use my satnav) i will get it out of its box in my house and use it. It lives in the glove box until i return home and can put it back in the box.

In regards to your (OP) sat nav in the boot. Why don't you invest in a net or something that you can keep it in so it doesn't bash around in the boot. I imagine it's not the best idea for a piece of delicate electronics really to be sliding and banging around in the boot.

ReputationRep:
    I leave it in the glove box. It only cost £60 from Tesco and is always sending me the wrong way, so if anyone stole it they'd probably be doing me a favour, and I live in a pretty safe area anyway. I'd say get a case for it and leave it in the boot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    Obviously for other people like me who don't have have an inbuilt one, do you leave it in the boot of the car or do you take it with you?

I always leave it in the boot and this mate said I shouldn't because it will become damaged from moving about in the boot e.t.c Can't keep it in glovebox as stack full of cd's.
    But surely when you are moving in the car the sat nav would be set up and NOT in the boot?

ReputationRep:
    Never ever leave it in the car.

ReputationRep:
    never.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    When i need to go on a long journey (which is the only time i use my satnav) i will get it out of its box in my house and use it. It lives in the glove box until i return home and can put it back in the box.

In regards to your (OP) sat nav in the boot. Why don't you invest in a net or something that you can keep it in so it doesn't bash around in the boot. I imagine it's not the best idea for a piece of delicate electronics really to be sliding and banging around in the boot.
    Yeah that's a good idea, it's just my sat nav is playing up a little, maybe i did damage it in the boot all this time lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    But surely when you are moving in the car the sat nav would be set up and NOT in the boot?
    I rarely use it though, because locally I know my way. It's only when I go on the motorway. I keep it in the boot for insurance if somehow I get lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantBrain)
    Never ever leave it in the car.
    But surely if it's out of sight it's out of mind

ReputationRep:
    Not got one and when I've been in my mum's car and she's used it, all it does is send you round in circles. If I need to go somewhere, I'll put it into google maps and either print it off or write it down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammie300)
    No, because I use a map or instinct. I dont let sat nav lead me into a river

logic, man.

ReputationRep:
    Leave it in the glove compartment every night, don't even think twice about it. Use it almost every day if I'm on away jobs at work, which is 3 out 4 weeks a month

ReputationRep:
    I leave mine in the golebox with the holder on the screen.

ReputationRep:
    I used to just dump it in the box, now I use the sat nav on my phone though.. if someone thinks you have one, where you keep it, even if not in the car will not not tempt them to not smash your window. at the end of the day, it costs them nothing and even your parking change is them in pocket!

my glovebox locks and insurance excess will be the same if it's in there or not so worse case senario I get a shiney new one.

ReputationRep:
    I leave my satnav on my dash with big flashy lights saying LOOK A SATNAV. I also leave my car unlocked because I'd rather they just take the satnav than break my window and take the satnav

ReputationRep:
    I leave mine in my dash (I have a big channel all along that that hides it pretty well) and never had any problems yet. It was only £40 off a friend and my car looks as if it won't have a satnav in it so I'm fine I take it with me if I leave my car in busy cities though, but other than that it's fine.

To those of you who say 'I don't need a satnav, I'm too good at knowing where I am', I was the map reader for both the 10 tors I did and I'm much better at maps than anyone else I know but satnavs make things a bit easier. I don't just blindly follow it. I often use it to take reference points which I double check in Google Earth at home, or vice versa. I also zoom out in 'look down like a map' mode rather than 'follow' mode and double check that I'm on the right road and going in the right direction. If you use it appropriately it can really be of use. Not using a satnav doesn't stop you from being a moron if you can't use a satnav properly.

Latest project is to get a suitable GPS receiver to hook up to my MacBook and to turn Google Earth into a MASSIVE satnav!! Mwuhahahahaha!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)

lmfao

thats like putting your mobile in the boot, itll obviously slide around and get bashed every time u turn. Find some space in the glovebox or take it with u

EDIT (assuming ur not usin it when driving lolz)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.