Turn on thread page Beta

The "I have the best boyfriend/girlfriend in the world" thread. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor Tickner)
    Thats not that funny really, it can happen quite easily, it depends on the kind of people. I've only been in 2 serious relationships where I genuinely loved them, one was for over 2 years, and I was well and truly in love by about a week or 2 into both of them. When it works it just works. Also it depends how much time is spent with them not just how long it's been.
    6 weeks is easily enough time.
    That just doesn't click with me. How could you possibly be truly in love with someone after 2 weeks?! I really cannot fathom it being anything but infatuation. Are you saying your feelings for them really did not change for the entire two years? I personally wouldn't trust anyone if they told me they loved me after one month (or even more)... and it'd make me wonder if they really know what love is.

Sorry, I just realised I sound very accusatory. I don't mean to I just genuinely don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh.)
    That just doesn't click with me. How could you possibly be truly in love with someone after 2 weeks?! I really cannot fathom it being anything but infatuation. Are you saying your feelings for them really did not change for the entire two years? I personally wouldn't trust anyone if they told me they loved me after one month (or even more)... and it'd make me wonder if they really know what love is.

Sorry, I just realised I sound very accusatory. I don't mean to I just genuinely don't get it.
    Sorry i didnt reply earlier, i had to go yesterday.

Of course my feelings changed over 2 years, but it did not develop from infatuation to love to a deeper love as is the 'typical' relationship. there were feelings well beyond just infatuation after a very short amount of time. It scared me at the time. It was different to anything I'd felt before by a hell of a long way, and there were moments, staring into each other's eyes where, and i dont like saying this because it makes me sound like a religious nutcase, but the connection between us genuinely felt metaphysical, and we both felt it. I can spend all day describing it but no words will ever match up to how it felt.
    That feeling didnt happen so obviously in the second of these relationships, but by that stage, I recognised it when I felt it again and although I/we REALLY tried hard to slow things down, it was again, pretty scary, and we just couldnt. That was slighlty different because we spent every waking moment together talking about ourselves, about our past, our future, everything. I learnt more about her in a couple of weeks than i had in the whole first 6 months with the other girl. As much as i would have liked to have waited longer and everything, I loved her, there was no denying that. Once its there embedded, there's no point ignoring it. but once again, the feeling was mutual, it either works or it doesnt. I'm not a person that says 'love' lightly either. I felt bad that it was so soon at the time, but i know it wasn't wrong at any stage.
    Over time one relationship ended prematurely due to her family problems and her mental breakdown which she refused to drag me through (she ended it), but in the other, the feelings stayed the same in essence, the feeling didnt' change, but it developed into a more secure and more comfortable version of it.

Hope that makes it more clear for you to understand, if not convinced.

ReputationRep:
    Valentine's Day isn't all that important to me. We're not going out or doing anything special for it. I'll cook for him, but I do that most weeks anyway. What's more important to me is that this weekend, it'll be two years since I was raped. It matters more to me that he's coming over for that, and spending the night with me, and looking after me while I temporarily go crazy, than if he buys me flowers or spends some random day of the year with me.

He's not the best (I'm certainly not the best). We're not perfect. But out of the many men and women I've hooked up with, dated, slept with or had messed up liaisons with, he's undoubtedly the kindest, sweetest and sanest.

Eh. The only people I know who care about Valentine's Day are overly-mushy couples or overly-bitter single people.

ReputationRep:
    We're hoping to go out on Valentine's day, mainly because it's the only day in like a month we're both off work! But yer, nice breakfast in bed (for me!) and then maybe a trip out... but tbh, we're both out the night before for a mate's 18th so we might just sleep!

I know a guy, 17, who's been going out with a girl for 5 weeks and has brought her a £50 VIP ticket to the Automatic- like to see how he tops that next year

ReputationRep:
    So many good stories :love:

He's coming onto campus with me today because my favourite fish is sick and I don't want to be alone . . .

Best boyfriend ever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.