Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

proof of wilson's theorem by differentiation on fermat's little theorem? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does it work? I'm trying to do it, but keep getting to (p-1)! (three horizontal lines) 0 (mod p), which obviously isn't right.

Could you show how? Bearing in mind I'm an A level student with very little further maths knowledge

ReputationRep:
    You simply cannot differentiate like that with modulo arithmetic. Take for example:

x^5 \equiv 1\mathrm{mod\ 31}

x\equiv 2\mathrm{mod\ 31} is a solution but differentiating the equation as you seem to have done gives

5x^4 \equiv 0\mathrm{mod\ 31} for which the solution doesn't work. Moduluar arithmetic is that little bit more tricky, you need to turn a modular equivalence into an equality for differnetiating

ReputationRep:
    Basically, the set your function operates on, \mathbb{F}_p, doesn't have enough structure to support differentiation. The proof of Wilson's theorem is actually quite easy, and boils down to the observation that every number other than \pm 1 has a unique multiplicative inverse which is not the number itself.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that Wilson's Theorem "follows directly from Fermat's Little Theorem".
    If differentiation like that isn't a correct approach using the Little Theorem as starting point, what is?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying there isn't a link, but I'm not really seeing it. The normal approach is as Zhen describes (and in fact, Wilson's theorem is in many ways "simpler" than Fermat's Little Theorem).

ReputationRep:
    http://users.broadsurf.co.uk/johnbul...ninduction.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I'm not saying there isn't a link, but I'm not really seeing it. The normal approach is as Zhen describes (and in fact, Wilson's theorem is in many ways "simpler" than Fermat's Little Theorem).
    The first proof I learnt was more complicated, but does indeed start with Fermat's Little Theorem.

Spoiler:
    Show
    We know that x^{p-1} - 1 \equiv 0 \pmod p for all x \in \mathbb{F}_p^*, so by various properties of \mathbb{F}_p which I cannot recall, x^{p-1} - 1 \equiv (x-1)(x-2)\cdots(x-p+1) \pmod p. Now consider x = 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    The first proof I learnt was more complicated, but does indeed start with Fermat's Little Theorem.

Spoiler:
    Show
    We know that x^{p-1} - 1 \equiv 0 \pmod p for all x \in \mathbb{F}_p^*, so by various properties of \mathbb{F}_p which I cannot recall, x^{p-1} - 1 \equiv (x-1)(x-2)\cdots(x-p+1) \pmod p. Now consider x = 0.
    Oh yes, thanks. Though you could argue it starts with observations about roots of polynomials in \mathbb{F}_p.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.