Turn on thread page Beta

Health Care Assistant Interview watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I have an interview for an HCA position later this month and was wondering if anybody had been through the interview and/or are now working as an HCA.

What questions do they ask at interview?

What's the job like?

Thanks and ill give rep for the best reply

ReputationRep:
    The job can be hard work but rewarding, and it gives you a good base level in certain care and clinical skills. As per the interview, they're mainly concerned whether you're enthusiastic, reliable etc. A huge number of HCA's start with little/no experience (including myself) so don't worry about not really having an idea.

You may want to think about the basic duties involved. What type of ward will you be working on?

Duties may include;

- Tending to basic hygiene needs (a.k.a washing and wiping arses)
    - Basic observations ('vitals' for those who watch ER)/blood sugar monitoring
    - Making beds
    - General housekeeping
    - Feeding patients

Some roles depend on the ward in question, and I've worked on just about every ward imaginable so let me know and perhaps I can give you some more advice.

ReputationRep:
    I work as a HCA agency, and am a student nurse. It's an alright job but i wouldn't want to do it forever, and this huge initative is coming in soon where HCA's are going to be regulated by the NMC, and no long their actions will be wholly accountable to the nurse they're working under, so this is going to change a huge amount of what they can/can't do and also training and experience.

What sort of ward have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I think I'll be covering a variety of wards but not mental health. The job sounds interesting apart from the wiping arses bit. It's pretty much what I expected. I found another thread with some q's on it for interview which was helpful. As an HCA can you give injections, monitor vitals? This would be really good experience as im studying mental health nursing and havnt done much of that. Im repping you subcutaneous because it looks like you need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurse207)
    Thanks. I think I'll be covering a variety of wards but not mental health. The job sounds interesting apart from the wiping arses bit. It's pretty much what I expected. I found another thread with some q's on it for interview which was helpful. As an HCA can you give injections, monitor vitals? This would be really good experience as im studying mental health nursing and havnt done much of that. Im repping you subcutaneous because it looks like you need it

You'll be just on one ward, it's very rare health care asisstants work on a rotation or in different areas unless they're on a bank or agency.

As a hca, no you can't give injections, administer medication, you can TAKE someones obs, but it's the nurses who monitor the EWS score, report, decide to repeat, interpret etc.

Most of it will be toileting, manual handling, repositioning, hygiene needs, asissting with feeding and drinking, doing obs (again this depends on the ward, i know neuro, gastro and cardiac wards very rarely let HCA's take obs) some wards let HCA's do fluid balance charts but the nurse in charge needs to calculate and document, you may take out a venflons..and general stock duties, and basically asissting with the registered nurse you're assigned too

ReputationRep:
    Being a HCA is boooooooooring - but it pays the bills.
    However DO NOT do as i did and manage to empty the contents of a very full catheter bag down the front of myself.
    That and i had to watch a nurse do someones obs the other day incase i didnt know how to do it. Even then i wasnt trusted.
    Good luck with your interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Being a HCA is boooooooooring - but it pays the bills.
    However DO NOT do as i did and manage to empty the contents of a very full catheter bag down the front of myself.
    That and i had to watch a nurse do someones obs the other day incase i didnt know how to do it. Even then i wasnt trusted.
    Good luck with your interview.

how the **** did you manage to do that?! Emptying a catheter bag is so simple. I wouldn't trust anyone to do my patients obs personally, if there was an abnormal reading i'd re-do it myself, as HCA you're not accountable for what you do but the nurse delegating or nurse in charge is, so i dont bloody blame them! Especially when you're new

ReputationRep:
    As an HCA I used to do Obs, EWS, help at meal times, be the general dogsbody, do some simple paperwork, help with toileting needs, wash patients, change about 50 beds a day, coral the odd mental health patient we had, direct relatives and take patients too and from scans etc. I worked on an EAU (emergency assessment unit) which also had a surgical side...

In the interview I basically emphasised my career plans for the future (at the time, paramedic, but it's changed now!) and said how compassionate etc. I was quite lucky for the Sister to take a liking to me and her give me a go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    how the **** did you manage to do that?! Emptying a catheter bag is so simple. I wouldn't trust anyone to do my patients obs personally, if there was an abnormal reading i'd re-do it myself, as HCA you're not accountable for what you do but the nurse delegating or nurse in charge is, so i dont bloody blame them! Especially when you're new

Oh dear subcutaneous - you make me laugh.

Because ive never done obs in my life - :rolleyes:

Changing disposable catheter bag maybe - tap broke = fairy gets covered in urine. Because you have never done anything silly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Oh dear subcutaneous - you make me laugh.

Because ive never done obs in my life - :rolleyes:

Changing disposable catheter bag maybe - tap broke = fairy gets covered in urine. Because you have never done anything silly?
    Don't worry, I came pretty close when I was emptying one into a bottle that was far fuller than I realised!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.