Turn on thread page Beta

Idiot kids who over-idolize their girlfriends / boyfriends... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    My 14 year old cousin and his girlfriend are completely insane about each other but the worst part is that they advertise everything on facebook. Strings of hearts, 'I love yous' and statuses directed at each other... not to mention when they get in arguments, they update their status describing how sad and depressed they are and all their little 14 year olds are like 'OMGZ! so sorry :L :x xD!!! u guys are perfect tho!" and it makes me want to COMMIT SUICIDE

tldr: I agree with you OP, but I think a lot of people seem to go through that phase anyway
    I totally agree with you! These imbesciles need to be locked up and whipped. (..maybe thats a bit far-fetched)

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Im not going to lie though, I probably agree just because I'm really actually jealous and bitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    My mum met my dad when she was 14, married at 17 and are still together at 36, so I think you're being a bit melodramatic.
    I take it he married her out of obligation because he knocked her up with you? hardly a winning argument is it?
    Even the relationships that do last don't warrant the bullcrap that so many people spout.

ReputationRep:
    I agree OP. They make me barf. Tbh I'm 19 and one couple I know posts it all over fb about how they're 'going on their first date even though it's been 9 months! I love you lots! ' :mad:

I am seriously going to hide her from my feed for the fortnight surrounding their anniversary. :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    My 14 year old cousin and his girlfriend are completely insane about each other but the worst part is that they advertise everything on facebook. Strings of hearts, 'I love yous' and statuses directed at each other... not to mention when they get in arguments, they update their status describing how sad and depressed they are and all their little 14 year olds are like 'OMGZ! so sorry :L :x xD!!! u guys are perfect tho!" and it makes me want to COMMIT SUICIDE
    ROFL

And all those groups they create about 4756 things guys should know about their girlfriends :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    My mum met my dad when she was 14, married at 17 and are still together at 36, so I think you're being a bit melodramatic.
    But that's very rare :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it matters tbh. If its making you feel sad or whatever, then go out and find someone. I know early relationships will more than likely fail, but the feeling of being in love with someone is so good, why does it matter? You have to live for the present, and not the future.

(Original post by puma21)
    But that's very rare :confused:
    I don't know. I know quite a lot of people who have similar stories.

ReputationRep:
    Its really annoying when they celebrate their "6 month anniversary"

but hey, most people go through it and most people grow out of it. Some people just do it more annoyingly than others.

ReputationRep:
    can you blow it out of my ass please i can reach :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

I've been trying to tell 'em the exact same thing. My favourite has got to be when they claim to love someone after a week or something. Uh, hello? You barely know their last name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    I take it he married her out of obligation because he knocked her up with you? hardly a winning argument is it?
    Even the relationships that do last don't warrant the bullcrap that so many people spout.
    :no: She was pregnant by chance, but he proposed before either of them found out :awesome:.

My point being, that some warrant it, because it could actually be true. I fell for my guy the first time I met him, and although everything may or may not be tinted rose at the moment (we have been together just little over 7 months), I can honestly say that I would not be happy, living my life without him. Yes, okay, there are people that fall in love with everyone they meet and date, which makes people sceptical. But sometimes it isn't so, and if two people want to make a relationship work, I don't see why it can't.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this. I just think it's incredibly pathetic and delusional how teens claim every single partner is 'the one' and the 'love of the their life'...it's laughable because innevitably it all comes to an end. However, they don't learn and are quick to make such irrational claims again with the next relationship.

I just think there should be mutual respect, no over idolizing/worshipping nonsense. In fact, if a girlfriend thought like that it's definately a reason for breaking up with her. I have no interest in creating false, delusional pretensions nor do I find that sort of foolish quality appealing in a person.

ReputationRep:
    I've gotta agree with the title as well. Firstly, it takes years to truly love someone, so I hate it when people say they "i love you" to someone they've only been going out with for a couple of months, and haven't known much longer. Also I hate it when people plast their relationship all over facebook, I don't need to know whether you love your gf/bf or not.

ReputationRep:
    I love how bitter we all sound, but hey it's the truth.

I'm in my first relationship, but I seem to have skipped over the whole 'first love' phase altogether. Never felt like he was 'the one' and 'forever'. He's not perfect, I'm not perfect, our relationship definitely has problems. In fact, I could probably find someone else who is more suited for me and makes me happier - and the same for him. But I love him and want to work at this, isn't that more precious a feeling?

When teenagers over-idolise and dramatise their relationship, I just find them completely shallow and meaningless. 80% of the time, I doubt it's even anywhere near love. Infatuation is equally, if not more, potent a feeling... Even I've mistaken it to be love before, and for a much much longer duration of time than a few mere months.

I wait for the day they either grow out of it and develop a real relationship instead, or just to watch it crash and burn :devil:

ReputationRep:
    I think you must be single

No I am joking, but I know what you mean. Ech.

ReputationRep:
    1/5 people at uni settle down with somebody they met during that time, its not ridiculous or unreasonable to believe that at 18 you could be with the same person for the rest of your life. There are many many people who are proof of that. Of course full on public announcements and displays of your feelings are rather crass, if you believe it you should still keep it to yourself.
    At 14 or so it is a bit silly, but they are kids of course they are going to be silly.

Whats worse than pathetic lovey stuff though, cynical old/young gits who think that because it hasn't happened to them then it can never happen and anyone it who it has 'happened to' is lying to themselves or whatnot. Self styled standards of normality make me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    thats why i lead a pimps life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    1/5 people at uni settle down with somebody they met during that time, its not ridiculous or unreasonable to believe that at 18 you could be with the same person for the rest of your life. There are many many people who are proof of that. Of course full on public announcements and displays of your feelings are rather crass, if you believe it you should still keep it to yourself.
    At 14 or so it is a bit silly, but they are kids of course they are going to be silly.

Whats worse than pathetic lovey stuff though, cynical old/young gits who think that because it hasn't happened to them then it can never happen and anyone it who it has 'happened to' is lying to themselves or whatnot. Self styled standards of normality make me laugh.
    I think most of them simply grow to genuinely love them over time. So even if they said 'I love you' 2 weeks into the relationship, 10 years later they'd probably know when they said it back then, it wasn't quite true - despite feeling like it at the time. And over time, it has become love.

I said 'I love you' 5 months into my relationship but now a year on, I know that I wasn't. It was simply infatuation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh.)
    I think most of them simply grow to genuinely love them over time. So even if they said 'I love you' 2 weeks into the relationship, 10 years later they'd probably know when they said it back then, it wasn't quite true - despite feeling like it at the time. And over time, it has become love.

I said 'I love you' 5 months into my relationship but now a year on, I know that I wasn't. It was simply infatuation.
    Thats from your experience, you shouldn't let what you have felt cloud your view on other peoples relationships, not everyone is the same.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.