Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please help! visa...or not?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi!
    I'm currently living in Italy and was also born here, but I still hold my chinese nationality...so in order to study in England do I need a visa?

ReputationRep:
    Not if you are also an Italian citizen, which you most likely are.

Do you hold 2 different passports, or only a Chinese one?

Do you have an Italian ID card or anything along those lines?

If not, apply for an Italian passport. Some countries don't allow dual citizenship with certain other countries though, so you maybe required to drop your chinese citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuisaH)
    hi!
    I'm currently living in Italy and was also born here, but I still hold my chinese nationality...so in order to study in England do I need a visa?
    Do you hold Italian citizenship? (i.e. eligible for an Italian passport?) If you do then you don't need a visa. If you are on a Chinese passport you do.

Note that China does not recognise dual nationality so either you have Italian nationality and not Chinese or you do have Italian citizenship and your Chinese nationality is not officially recognised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Do you hold Italian citizenship? (i.e. eligible for an Italian passport?) If you do then you don't need a visa. If you are on a Chinese passport you do.

Note that China does not recognise dual nationality so either you have Italian nationality and not Chinese or you do have Italian citizenship and your Chinese nationality is not officially recognised.
    No, I still have my chinese citizenship...It would have been much easier if I just got the Italian one.
    Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    No, I still have my chinese citizenship...It would have been much easier if I just got the Italian one.
    Thank you for your help
    Yea you would need a visa then.

I looked it up on wikipedia and apparently Italy favours jus sanguinis which means you can only gain Italian citizenship through ancestry rather than just being born in Italy. On the other hand you could naturalise and become an Italian citizen. This has advantages as you'll only need to pay home university fees in the UK which is much lower than the international fees for Chinese citizens. However your Chinese citizenship would be revoked if the Chinese authorities find out.

ReputationRep:
    Yea you would need a visa then.

I looked it up on wikipedia and apparently Italy favours jus sanguinis which means you can only gain Italian citizenship through ancestry rather than just being born in Italy. On the other hand you could naturalise and become an Italian citizen. This has advantages as you'll only need to pay home university fees in the UK which is much lower than the international fees for Chinese citizens. However your Chinese citizenship would be revoked if the Chinese authorities find out.
    Well, you actually can also apply for an Italian citizenship after living for several years here, that's what my dad did.
    I am an International student?? I thought that having always studied in Italy I could have been considered an Italian one...God, my mom is going to kill me.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you actually can also apply for an Italian citizenship after living for several years here, that's what my dad did.
    I am an International student?? I thought that having always studied in Italy I could have been considered an Italian one...God, my mom is going to kill me.
    Yes, living in a country long enough to gain citizenship is called naturalisation.

Different countries have different laws regarding classification of students. You may be classed as a home student in Italy (for example maybe because your dad has Italian citizenship or if you have a permanent residency permit for Italy) but that does not mean you'll be classed as a home student in the UK.

In the UK you are a home student if:
    1) You are an EU citizen or
    2) You have a permanent residency permit for the UK or a British citizen and have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to your university course or
    3) You are an asylum seeker or other reason which your may live in the UK for an indefinite amount of time.

EDIT: See http://www.shef.ac.uk/ssid/fees/status.html for more detailed rules (they are the same for every university). Apparently you can be a home student if you are a "relevant family member" of an EU national, but that EU national must be living in the UK and is self sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, living in a country long enough to gain citizenship is called naturalisation.

Different countries have different laws regarding classification of students. You may be classed as a home student in Italy (for example maybe because your dad has Italian citizenship or if you have a permanent residency permit for Italy) but that does not mean you'll be classed as a home student in the UK.

In the UK you are a home student if:
    1) You are an EU citizen or
    2) You have a permanent residency permit for the UK or a British citizen and have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to your university course or
    3) You are an asylum seeker or other reason which your may live in the UK for an indefinite amount of time.

EDIT: See http://www.shef.ac.uk/ssid/fees/status.html for more detailed rules (they are the same for every university). Apparently you can be a home student if you are a "relevant family member" of an EU national, but that EU national must be living in the UK and is self sufficient.
    ops...I had no idea what naturalisation meaned:p:
    One last question: if I applied as a international student, but then I got the Italian citizenship, will it make any difference to my university fee?

ReputationRep:
    ops...I had no idea what naturalisation meaned:p:
    One last question: if I applied as a international student, but then I got the Italian citizenship, will it make any difference to my university fee?
    I think student fees are calculated yearly. Therefore if you change citizenship during an academic year you'll start paying the home fees next year.

Best thing to do is to speak to the international/fees department in your university's admissions office.

ReputationRep:
    I think student fees are calculated yearly. Therefore if you change citizenship during an academic year you'll start paying the home fees next year.

Best thing to do is to speak to the international/fees department in your university's admissions office.
    thanks for the advices

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.