Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

anonymity at GUM clinic watch

Announcements

Hi, basically I do not think I have an STI but have recurring thrush and UTIs and thought a GUM clinic might be more useful than going back to GP, plus I want to make sure it's nothing else.
    My mum is a medical secretary in the same hospital and I am training to be a doctor and therefore don't really want it on my records. I thought you could be anonymous but have just rung up to make an appointment and have given my name, address and dob - my own fault I know but was just answering the questions! So will this now be on my records? I should point out in a repro lecture we were all advised to be anonymous, can this only be the case if you go to a drop in clinic? only they don't do those here. Thanks for any advice!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    GUM clinic records are supposed to be entirely separate from the rest of your records.

Have a look for the NHS Trusts and Primary Care Trusts (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) Directions 2000, which are the latest version of the rules:

Every NHS trust and Primary Care Trust shall take all necessary steps to secure that any information capable of identifying an individual obtained by any of their members or employees with respect to persons examined or treated for any sexually transmitted disease shall not be disclosed except-

(a) for the purpose of communicating that information to a medical practitioner, or to a person employed under the direction of a medical practitioner in connection with the treatment of persons suffering from such disease or the prevention of the spread thereof, and

(b) for the purpose of such treatment or prevention.
    Slightly different rules apply outside England, but the basic idea is the same - it was recognised decades ago that if records aren't confidential, fewer people get tested / treated.

ReputationRep:
    It's cos you used to be able to have your health/life insurance premiums messed with massively if you'd ever had an HIVtest. Now it's very hushyquiet secret.

ReputationRep:
    Your records in the GU clinic are kept there. They will not even enter the main hospital building.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.