Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well, basically...

I get on really well with one of the Postgrads at Uni, and we've worked together on extra-curricular stuff.

The thing is, we're both attracted to each other (as has become pretty evident over the last two months or so) and are flirting quite a lot. He keeps asking me to go for a drink/meal with him, and I'm really tempted to say yes.

The thing that's worrying me, is what other people would think: there's just over ten years between us. There's the same difference between my Parents, oddly enough. But I'm being really wary not to be used for sex and kind of changing the question to distract him from asking me out. I don't want to get attacked for going for someone so much older, even though he's lovely...

I really don't know what to do. We're both doing the same course more or less (but his is an MA) and at the same frustrated stage.

My ex was 2 years older than me but it never caused problems... But I think 10 years might?

I don't know what to do

Anon please, as friends are on here.

ReputationRep:
    go for it you sound mature enough

ReputationRep:
    Daddy issues.

You have them.

ReputationRep:
    i guess its fine just take it slow and if he wants sex what you consider as too soon just walk away

ReputationRep:
    i think eleven years is too big an age gap...

ReputationRep:
    If it fees right it feels right Just be wary as at his age he might be thinking of settling down. xx

(Original post by Sasha_xx)
    If it fees right it feels right Just be wary as at his age he might be thinking of settling down. xx
    I was thinking this, but he's not really expressed any intention to....

I don't have "Daddy issues" either: he's not old enough to be my Dad and I certainly don't view him like that. I get along the same with him, as I do with younger guys: except he hasn't been trying to get me into bed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha_xx)
    Yeah, that's a great advert for Heroin use.

Who gives a flying rat-**** if it "feels right"? Sticking his **** inside little children probably feels pretty right to Gary Glitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was thinking this, but he's not really expressed any intention to....

I don't have "Daddy issues" either: he's not old enough to be my Dad and I certainly don't view him like that. I get along the same with him, as I do with younger guys: except he hasn't been trying to get me into bed!

Yes he has.

Looks like he's pretty close to succeeding, too.

(Original post by Areyoukidding?)
    Yeah, that's a great advert for Heroin use.

Who gives a flying rat-**** if it "feels right"? Sticking his **** inside little children probably feels pretty right to Gary Glitter.
    I'd like to clarify that this guy is not, by any means, like Gary Glitter.

I'm nearly 20 and prety mature; I've always had relationships with men older than me - it's just ten years is the largest gap so far. I could understand if I was 16 and naive, but I'm not. I'm well aware of what he might be after.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't think it's a problem, if your happy, then go for it. My boyfriends uncle is 40 odd and he has just married an 18 year old. They are extremely happy, and he looks after her well. It's not all about the sex. And he understands he is old enough to be her dad, but they don't care. They are right for each other, and age is just a number

Age may well be a number. It's not an issue for either of us - but it might be for others and that's what is worrying me.

I don't want either of us to be branded "disgusting" or thought less of because of the difference in ages

ReputationRep:
    11. Now what do I win?
    It doesn't disgust me in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    You're both over 18 so the age difference should only matter to the two of you. If you're both ine with it then go for it, its nobody elses business.

ReputationRep:
    back when i was 19 (i think) my best mates dad started going out with an 18yr old (young than my best mate). Kinda found it funny that she was younger than us at first, then stopped caring cos they were happy

People might think it's wierd at first, friends will just have to get used to the idea

Well, my closest friends know already and don't bat an eyelid.

I could understand outrage if the gap was 20 years + but, it's not....

I'm just confused as to what is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, my closest friends know already and don't bat an eyelid.

I could understand outrage if the gap was 20 years + but, it's not....

I'm just confused as to what is right.
    Allow me to quote Snow Patrol...

"if it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, wtf is 'right', so arbitrary.

You're both adults, more than old enough.

ReputationRep:
    I think my parents would have something to say about it.

(Original post by pamelaa)
    I think my parents would have something to say about it.
    There are 9 years between my parents.

They can't object on the basis of age without being massive hypocrites.

I would only tell my parents if things got very serious (say, after a year or so)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.