Go out w/ him

(Original post by fox_the_fix)
    dude sounds like a G.
    Go out w/ him
    A "G"?

what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    I think its wrong tbh :p:
    they've had their chance to get young girls now they should shove on! Then again, if its just a meal you could just go and see what happens, but can't he try and find someone his own age perhaps? Ten years is a lot when you're talking about teenagers, i mean like in highschool you where seen as wierd if you went out with someone 2-3 years older/younger than yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Maturity levels are important too.
    I'd say both studying the same course is pretty cool, I'll be a fresher when my boyfriend's graduated from his MSc and eill be out in the working world. I think that's scarier tbh :o:

ReputationRep:
    my parents married at 19 and 30...they dont have a problem

(Original post by Bolyolyoi)
    I think its wrong tbh :p:
    they've had their chance to get young girls now they should shove on! Then again, if its just a meal you could just go and see what happens, but can't he try and find someone his own age perhaps? Ten years is a lot when you're talking about teenagers, i mean like in highschool you where seen as wierd if you went out with someone 2-3 years older/younger than yourself.
    I'm closer to 20 than I am to 19.

Ahh I remember when I was 17 and I was dating a chap who was 28 @ the time - I absolutely regret that decision well and truly! Thinking of makes me feel sick; his smelly willy for a start, puke!

IMO going for an older bloke is never a good idea, especially with that big a difference. Go for someone your own age!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    my parents married at 19 and 30...they dont have a problem
    Religious indoctrination at its best.

ReputationRep:
    Religious indoctrination at its best.
    Arranged marriage is not religious, its cultural

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ahh I remember when I was 17 and I was dating a chap who was 28 @ the time - I absolutely regret that decision well and truly! Thinking of makes me feel sick; his smelly willy for a start, puke!

IMO going for an older bloke is never a good idea, especially with that big a difference. Go for someone your own age!
    I wouldn't have made a decision like this when I was 17 tbh...

Have to see where it goes I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    Arranged marriage is not religious, its cultural
    Which is underpinned by.... religion.

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone telling you to go for it is just wrong tbh. It's creepy for him to like you and even though you parents have the same gap maybe it was different that long ago and maybe they were older than 19 and 30 when they got together?

I think the only reason you should go out with him is if you will regret not trying it for the rest of your life, if you only kind of like him then run away!!

ReputationRep:
    It's not *that* much of a gap. Whether he's older/younger is nothing really, that he makes you happy is everything (and vice versa).
    My ex and I had 19 years between us which did bat a few eyelids, but the people that mattered (and that we mattered to) weren't bothered.

ReputationRep:
    Which is underpinned by.... religion.
    Not really, my mums highly religious yet she says its upto me to choose who I marry - shes not 'arranging it'
    And her marriage wasnt underpinned by religion either, it was just convinient and she had a choice

(Original post by Mmm Danone)
    I think anyone telling you to go for it is just wrong tbh. It's creepy for him to like you and even though you parents have the same gap maybe it was different that long ago and maybe they were older than 19 and 30 when they got together?

I think the only reason you should go out with him is if you will regret not trying it for the rest of your life, if you only kind of like him then run away!!
    I do like him and I would like to see how it would go. But I don't want to reserve a relationship because of other peoples reactions.

I wouldn't have made a decision like this when I was 17 tbh...

Have to see where it goes I suppose!
    17 = very naive, I know. But teenagers dating much older men generally is not a good idea - not matter how much maturity you say/think you have. I thought I was well mature, above my boots. When the **** hit the fan I realised then it was the biggest mistake.

Like I said before go for fellas your own age and leave older men alone! (They are usually indecisive anyway in what they want and as a ''make do'' - young bate is what they go after. Im not making this up, just expressing what has happened to me in the past).

ReputationRep:
    Not really, my mums highly religious yet she says its upto me to choose who I marry - shes not 'arranging it'
    Well then saying you're in an arranged marriage is ....

ReputationRep:
    my friend is with a 30 year old and she's 19...it was a bit of a shock when i first heard but i realise she is really happy with him now and it seems really normal them being together.

so dont worry about other people, life is short, just go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    I do like him and I would like to see how it would go. But I don't want to reserve a relationship because of other peoples reactions.
    OP i really think a decision like this should be based on how you feel, not how everyone else feels about it. It would be your relationship and not theirs, so if the age difference seems wrong to you then don't do it. If you think it's fine, however, go for it! Who cares what everyone else thinks anyway?!

ReputationRep:
    Well then saying you're in an arranged marriage is ....
    I dont understand sorry?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.