Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone there is absolutely moronic. If your hope is to have an intelligent conversation with anyone, wrong university for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Its reputation is quite strange,it is seen throughout Hertfordshire as a general sh*thole,and there are some relatively bad places,like up the Hilltop and whatnot. But its reputation from about 20-30 years ago has kind of stuck,when it was quite a bad place.I mean its not as bad as people say,obviously I am biased as I have lived here for a fair amount of time,but it is not as bad as its made out,as hooded chav's running around with knife's and Britains underclass living there.
    Yes it is your average working-class town which is awfully bleak and boring,but the level to which it is percieved to be by students and surrounding towns surpasses really what it is.
    Nothing wrong with Hilltop, I lived there for 3 years never had any problems. Apart from the time I seen some chavs racially abusing the guy at the petrol station. Or when a random man at 11pm came running down the street and telling me he was going to beat me up before his daughter dragged him away. Or the time I seen what I think was a drug deal go wrong and these peopel chased after another group screaming we have knifes. Or the time I was walking back late from a house party and a guy told me he wanted to have sex with me and come back to my house (I'm a guy btw). Or when my flatmates motorbike got stolen. Or that every Friday night police officers would be around One Stop.

Love the takeaway from Hilltop though, Chinese, Chips, Kebab or Indian. It's all there. The butchers rocked too!

Man, I miss UH!

(Original post by sypher1985)
    Nothing wrong with Hilltop, I lived there for 3 years never had any problems. Apart from the time I seen some chavs racially abusing the guy at the petrol station. Or when a random man at 11pm came running down the street and telling me he was going to beat me up before his daughter dragged him away. Or the time I seen what I think was a drug deal go wrong and these peopel chased after another group screaming we have knifes. Or the time I was walking back late from a house party and a guy told me he wanted to have sex with me and come back to my house (I'm a guy btw). Or when my flatmates motorbike got stolen. Or that every Friday night police officers would be around One Stop.

Love the takeaway from Hilltop though, Chinese, Chips, Kebab or Indian. It's all there. The butchers rocked too!

Man, I miss UH!
    Yeah it's not that bad,I lived there until a couple of years ago when I moved down near the town.
    That guy in the garage gets his fair share of abuse,especially when it's closed and you ask for your stuff through the little drawer thing and he goes and gets it.poor lad.
    I used to be one of those chavvy mugs hanging around outside One Stop and the Harrier being a little ****.Fortunately I ditched that look.
    Oh man chinese up there is absolutely divine,cannot be beaten.
    All in all for what has a bad name,Shatfield has some perks,though not very many.:p:

ReputationRep:
    I've been sitting worrying, here having second thoughts about Herts uni, because of everyone saying how awful it is.
    Then it struck me: it sounds like the town I live in. xD
    I feel better now. I bet I can cope. xD

I don't go out much, so I suppose I'm not gonna be disappointed at the uni life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawr.ox)
    I've been sitting worrying, here having second thoughts about Herts uni, because of everyone saying how awful it is.
    Then it struck me: it sounds like the town I live in. xD
    I feel better now. I bet I can cope. xD

I don't go out much, so I suppose I'm not gonna be disappointed at the uni life.
    yeah no worries really! I never go out myself really, I have a cineworld unlimited card for 13.50 a month and I love it, I see what ever I want. There are loads of other things to do really. I don't know what sorts of things you are into but loads of pretty places to walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    yeah no worries really! I never go out myself really, I have a cineworld unlimited card for 13.50 a month and I love it, I see what ever I want. There are loads of other things to do really. I don't know what sorts of things you are into but loads of pretty places to walk.
    Ooh Sounds pretty good, the cineworld card.
    Yeah I don't do much. I'm the sort of person that's content to be sitting inside, or even just sitting around with people, chatting.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh Sounds pretty good, the cineworld card.
    Yeah I don't do much. I'm the sort of person that's content to be sitting inside, or even just sitting around with people, chatting.
    me too really! I'm sure you'll be fine. You can always join one of the student societies, enough to chat :P :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, btw, any good bicycle tracks around?

ReputationRep:
    me too really! I'm sure you'll be fine. You can always join one of the student societies, enough to chat :P :woo:
    Student Societies?
    On here, or an actual one at the uni? xD

ReputationRep:
    Student Societies?
    On here, or an actual one at the uni? xD
    at the university, you can join the student union and/or one of the many student societies http://www.uhsu.co.uk/

(Original post by septemberfox)
    Oh, btw, any good bicycle tracks around?
    Well in terms of an actual cycle track there is one at Gosling Sports Park in Welwyn,but in terms of general tracks there is Alban Way,which run's from Welwyn to St.Albans,which is pretty good,except for at night,where you will get raped.

ReputationRep:
    at the university, you can join the student union and/or one of the many student societies http://www.uhsu.co.uk/
    Eee thanks (:

I'm really looking forward to uni. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sypher1985)

Man, I miss UH!
    My car got broken into just round the corner from Hilltop, right outside my door. ****** *********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaneC)
    My car got broken into just round the corner from Hilltop, right outside my door. ****** *********.
    I'm really sorry to hear that! That doesn't mean the area is bad though. In the end, your car can get broken into anywhere really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that! That doesn't mean the area is bad though. In the end, your car can get broken into anywhere really.
    Yup, anywhere really scummy.

(Original post by DaneC)
    My Uncle caught someone trying to syphon out his fuel outside his house up the hilltop on Friday.
    Some things never change...

ReputationRep:
    I live in Harpenden in Herts, and I'm a complete snob. I hate even thinking about unis that don't contain ONLY snobs, so much so that I've made 3 of my servants cry (I'm a hard task-master - harsh, but fair with a heart of gold).

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Krakatoa i feel like like where im from, and you seem kinda bitter, well very actually :/

And aren't all places gonna have a similar view... theres some nice part and some rough parts

But im generally looking forward to starting Herts in Sept hopefully =)

(Original post by hunni08)
    Hey, Krakatoa i feel like like where im from, and you seem kinda bitter, well very actually :/

And aren't all places gonna have a similar view... theres some nice part and some rough parts

But im generally looking forward to starting Herts in Sept hopefully =)
    Erm in english please.
    Though bitter about what?

ReputationRep:
    > Bitter about where you live...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.