Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by hunni08)
    > Bitter about where you live...
    Not really bitter, I like living here, I am just a realist when it comes to how awful it is living here.
    When I moved here from Ireland ten years ago my family had the choice of the entire country to move to...they chose Hatfield.

ReputationRep:
    wow, I was considering going to Hertfordshire... maybe not so much now. :L

(Original post by 0201Bean)
    wow, I was considering going to Hertfordshire... maybe not so much now. :L
    It really isn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Not really bitter, I like living here, I am just a realist when it comes to how awful it is living here.
    When I moved here from Ireland ten years ago my family had the choice of the entire country to move to...they chose Hatfield.
    Fair do's i guess i'll just have to see for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    It really isn't that bad.
    yeaah? i suppose i'll get a real feel for it when i go visit :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0201Bean)
    yeaah? i suppose i'll get a real feel for it when i go visit :P
    Well definitely have a look around town as well!

ReputationRep:
    Hertfordshire, the county, is very nice. I've lived here all my life and wouldn't particularly want to move.

Hatfield is in need of regeneration - it's stuck in the 1970s. I lived there for 11 years and I've seen the decline in the community. The town centre is pretty much dead. One day (ha ha) it's going to be knocked down and a new town centre will rise, phoenix-like, out of the ashes... But the council have been saying that for at least ten years now so I'll believe it when it happens. I think Queensway House should really be torn down as it's an eyesore. Some parts are getting development though - the area to the side of the Galleria has a bunch of new shops and restaurants.

St Albans, which is nearby, has an excellent city centre if you like pubs and shopping. Welwyn Garden City, which is often overlooked, is very pretty though quite a sleepy town (not much happens there), but there's a nice big John Lewis. Stevenage is slighty chavvy, but there are lots of shops and a leisure complex including bowling and a cinema (which has unfortunately declined in quality in the last five years).

However, the University isn't snobby. The campus is nice and the general atmosphere is also nice. I've been at UH since 2004 and have never encountered snobbish behaviour. You'll get snobby people wherever you go... but I think the environment and atmosphere at UH is very nice, and in Hertfordshire in general.

ReputationRep:
    very well said! (post above I mean =D)

ReputationRep:
    I disagree that Hertfordshire Uni is an environment for snobs. It has its bright sparks, but being bright does not mean that one has to behave like a snob. And as for Herts Uni as "awful" - that's an exaggeration when it has reached the top 45 in the Independent rankings.

(Original post by thecurators)
    Hertfordshire, the county, is very nice. I've lived here all my life and wouldn't particularly want to move.

Hatfield is in need of regeneration - it's stuck in the 1970s. I lived there for 11 years and I've seen the decline in the community. The town centre is pretty much dead. One day (ha ha) it's going to be knocked down and a new town centre will rise, phoenix-like, out of the ashes... But the council have been saying that for at least ten years now so I'll believe it when it happens. I think Queensway House should really be torn down as it's an eyesore. Some parts are getting development though - the area to the side of the Galleria has a bunch of new shops and restaurants
    Unfortunately the big redevelopment fell through a few years back when the contractors pulled out, which was a real shame, because the town is possibly one of the most bleakest places I have ever seen.
    Apparently though they are redeveloping parts of it it though, though not all, so it will retain its bleakness.

Haha Queensway really is horrible, pretty nasty having it in view of my bedroom window. They should really knock it down, it is dreadful inside, my unlcle lives there atm and it is disgusting. Goldings on the other hand isn't as bad.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.