Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Well if they get in to the same university you do, on what grounds can you discriminate against them, how are they any 'worse' than you?
    He could be doing medicine and they are doing a health and media and baby care foundation year?

ReputationRep:
    as much as i hate to say it, depends on the uni

ReputationRep:
    I don't like mind their fashion or like how they speak ya, but their attitudes are detestful.
    As long as they aren't immature, I'm fine with it. Actually, that goes with everyone. Please let there be no immature people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justjoshing)
    Is it true that more chavvy sorts are going to University? I really hope this is not the case
    Dont worry OP, no chavs at my uni, or any of my friends unis as far as I can tell.

ReputationRep:
    To me, Uggs are soooo chavvy. And there are loads of uggs at my Uni. And false nails with mental decorations on them.

Plus, a girl on my course has just had a boob job. WTF?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you're in grave danger of the likes of devvo gracing durham.. but as for the pheasant eating...fat chance.

ReputationRep:
    A chav is a type of person. Like, back in the 1960s and before that you get the sense (from films and stories from grandparents) that people were more austere and had that churchill way of speaking about them. My point is, any type of person, meaning what they display to the public, has a brain and can be as smart or as dumb as anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that University will be full of commoners and I won't be able to mix I'd rather be eathing pheasant and drinking wine, not downing vodka shots at some cheap nightclub. I wan't refinery, not chavs and tarts.
    I don't mean to sound snobby or anything. I just wan't to enjoy my time at University.

I'm hoping to study Law at Sussex BTW.

Commoners at university. :eek3: What will they think of next?

There may even be some who understand grammar, unlike the OP. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harlequin Jester)
    Commoners at university. :eek3: What will they think of next?

There may even be some who understand grammar, unlike the OP. :rofl:
    I think OP was a joke :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find some have more than others
    ok maybe some....if you find your clique then that's good for you.

ReputationRep:
    Why should someone's subculture stop them from attending university? Someone might be a chav, but they might also be naturally intelligent and work pretty hard.

ReputationRep:
    OP should go to St Andrews. Did my undergrad there and there was "corrrrrrrr yes shall we have pheasent or quail tonight chaps?" and all that. Definetely no chavs!

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to study English and American Lit studying the works of Homer, Shakespeare and Poe so I doubt chavs will be on my course seeing as the only thing they can read is the daily sport and playboy.

None of the people I know who are hitting the uni patch are chavs either nor do I know of any chavs hitting the joint...... they mostly smoke it instead while trying to become an engineer of the tills at T.K. Maxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that University will be full of commoners and I won't be able to mix I'd rather be eathing pheasant and drinking wine, not downing vodka shots at some cheap nightclub. I wan't refinery, not chavs and tarts.
    I don't mean to sound snobby or anything. I just wan't to enjoy my time at University.

I'm hoping to study Law at Sussex BTW.

should have got into a better uni then to avoid that

ReputationRep:
    I really dont think anyone in this post has any idea what so ever what a chav is!

ReputationRep:
    Chav = vicky pollard type. At least that's what I think a chav is. You do get rich chavs like lily allen too . . .
    I also thought chavs were people who wear those thick gold earrings, a lot of chains / necklaces - rather than one, and of course tracksuits and trainers - I'm sure we all know the vicky pollard look. A lot tend to me loud and aggressive, some without manners . . . . But this is not to say people coming from low income families are chavs. I know a lot of people who are not wealthy and are not chavs.

If you do not want to be around chavs, it may prove difficult considering the amount of universities promoting diversity. Don't even kid yourself about going to a top uni because you think there no chavs. I suggest you stay well away from places like kings, ucl, queen mary - you will find chavs there too. There's no running away. I am not sure about imperial - I don't have any friends there.
    Maybe cambridge, oxford, st andrews would be a better choice with few chavs.

I have nothing against chavs but whe you are a medic and going on wards etc and someone turns up so overdressed you feel ashamed for them, then you need to draw a line somewhere. I have seen girls coming to placements in super high heels, a whole arm of bangles / bracelets and lots of necklaces, dangling earrings, long acrylic nails with designs painted on them. If my GP dressed like that, I would run a mile. This is no joke. Please attend open days or ask to shadow, a student in a course which you would be applying for. You will at least see the type of people you are likely to be studying with. To be honest, at my university they don't change much every year.

p.s I 'm not a rich snob - I just think there is a place for certain types of clothing and behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    This, i must say is a very amusing thread. I'm fairly sure its a joke bcuz of that guy on page 5.

Any-hoo... i can see where they are coming from if they define a 'Chav' as i do which as nothing to do with weath, status, aesthetics etc. Its the moral ignorance, not understanding that their actions have painful consequences. This means they are nominally abusive, violent when unprovoked to gain the satisfaction (that is human nature) in competing and beating another human. Also verbal abuse and threats, they cheat and exploit.

You have to have a certain level of intelligence to get into uni, this has the side effect of allowing someone to form their own set of morals and therefore there arent many 'chavs' at uni.

However your sort of ignorance is self destructive and socially degenerative too. You use the word commoners making it sound as if you have some hereditary right to a better life, 'better' in terms of material things.. (which do matter! i love good food hehe) but thats wrong, everyone is born with equal rights its impossible to say otherwise. so you need to realize you are lucky to be privileged and not take it for granted.

as for your questionable AAAB... the education system is fairly flawed, it is now just rote memorisation and teaching 'how to pass an exam', you might have worked really hard to get those grades but not really have much intelligence or you may have learnt to pass the exams without really having any understanding...

ReputationRep:
    Wow the ego on here is shocking...

ReputationRep:
    okay, as people have different definitions of chavs I'll say this:

I know nobody who is loud, pointlessly aggressive and reads on the daily sport and shops in sports shops. Nor do any of my friends wear trakkies, oversized gold chains or earings and they don't swear at teachers. These are the people I couldn't stand to live or study with. Ever.

The people I know may not have a degree but they are all good people who will refuse to pointlessly fight or use vulgar language. They are not immature or wear trakkies. These are the people I'd hope to study with.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get it VIle_Minds... you make a point that you dont want to study with people beacuse of what they wear... what difference does that make?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.