Turn on thread page Beta

Recommendation on a certain book/author about the Russian Revolution? watch

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure if this sub-forum or the 'entertainment -> books' sub-forum was appropriate for this question, but I decided to post on here because you lot would be potentially more helpful.

Anyway, I'm currently studying history AS and we're doing the 'From Autocracy to Dictatorship 1881-1924' unit under the Edexcel specification. I'm interested in further reading about this in order to study outside the limits of the text book and specification. This is because I want to look at it from a historian's point of view as well, I want to see the events as history rather than exam content, and I want to read someone's professional interpretation of this period in order to establish my own personal opinion.

I am aware of one author, possibly the most renowned one, called Orlando Figes. I have been told about his book, A People's Tragedy, but I really am not up for a 900-odd page read. Are there any other decent books that cover the events prior to Stalin's regime and have digestible amounts of information (~200-500 pages) that people could recommend?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Read the "Communist Manifesto" by Marx and Engles to get a theoretical view of communist theory and Russian critique of Capitalism at the time....

ReputationRep:
    We actually did about Marx in history today and I considered that.

I meant originally about books that cover the Russian society, roughly around the dates 1881-1924, and with a broad view of all aspects of the country and the different factors of the transistion; and obviously containing stuff like Marx's ideology.

But I will take your advice and look into the Communist Manifesto as well.

ReputationRep:
    there are a series of books called 'a very short introduction to..'
    these books dont really go into much depth but tell you everything that was important
    there is one on the russian revolution if you are interested

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Revo...5124491&sr=8-1

Pretty much one of the best introductions I've read to the Russian Revolution, the Very Short Introduction is also good.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen those books on the net but their synopses say they cover from the 1920s onwards, right? Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm looking for books prior which cover dates prior to 1924.

ReputationRep:
    Sheila Fitzpatrick's pretty good on the revolution, can't remember what the book was called though.

Found it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakebowerbank)
    I've seen those books on the net but their synopses say they cover from the 1920s onwards, right? Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm looking for books prior which cover dates prior to 1924.
    The one I linked to goes back to the 1905 revolution, and a bit before if I remember correctly. These sections aren't as long as the later sections though.

ReputationRep:
    I did Russia last year (CCEA). "Ten days that shook the world" by John Reed is pretty good, he was an American journalist in Petrograd during the October 1917 Revolution, its a really interesting first hand account, but he was also a communist so you have to bear that in mind while reading it.

If you want a text book "Communist Russia under Lenin and Stalin" by Chris Corin and Terry Fiehn, is good.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the tips guys, I've decided to choose Fitzpatrick's book and look forward to reading it!

ReputationRep:
    Endurance & Endeavour
    Russian History 1812-1971
    Westwood

I have read all the above and ^ is in my opinion the best one.

ReputationRep:
    Micheal Lynch is a good historian, who did a small book that I used last year for my Edexcel exam, both for the period before Lenin and Stalin and during that time. There was another book which we used called 'communism under Lenin and Stalin' I don't remember the historians but it was a good book and was excellent for quick burst of revision as it was mainly bullet pointed or short paragraphs.
    The 'Communism under Lenin and Stalin' was like my bible through my unit on autocracy to dictatorship.

Good luck with your search for wider knowledge.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.