Turn on thread page Beta

Recommend me books that will make me dumber watch

ReputationRep:
    Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    This is a thread about bad books. Religious texts are a valid answer, but you had the clear intention of turning this into a debate about religion by bringing up hell. I'm asking you not to turn this into a religious debate- we have enough of those on the internet- and I'm sure people would like to discuss something more interesting for once.
    If you had bothered to read the whole thread. You would notice that i only digress because i am challenged as to the difference between the Communist Manifesto and the Bible.

So i think maybe you should get down off your high horse and have a look at page two, before you make yourself look even more foolish.

ReputationRep:
    Any of Alan Titchmarsh's novels.

So, so droll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Karl Marx - The Communist Manifesto
    :facepalm2: Whatever your opinion, how you can forward this key text as something which will make you dumber is beyond me

To the OP - Ann Coulter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    No one suggested people who read twighlight weren't intelligent, just that twilight was not an intelligent book.
    Well-put. My first reaction upon seeing this thread title was 'Twilight', because it is essentially mindless, poorly-written drivel. That's not to say that there aren't very intelligent people who enjoy them, but it has to be said that in regards to literary prowess, they're pretty awful.

Failing that, get a nice dose of chick-lit down you. Any pastel-coloured member of a WHSmith 3 for 2 offer should suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    *buries face in hands* I did read the whole thread. I know fully what context your post was posted in. Point stands. You were gagging to have someone talk with you on how stupid the eternal suffering doctrine of the Bible is.
    Right im obviously going to have to break this down for you into bitesize chunks so you can understand.

1. I name key religous texts as books which will make you dumber.

2. A challenger appears and implies that they are no different to the Communist Manifesto.

3. I reply that the communist manifest does not demand you obey it's every rule or you receive eternal torture. Hence somebody who reads these texts and takes them seriously is in my opinion dumb.

Now, please explain to me how my opinion was out of context? I explained which books i thought made you dumber and i explained why i thought they made you dumber.

Me thinks you are just trying to save face now after realising what a complete fool you made of yourself. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    The Bible
    I was going to say that.
    Great minds think a like.

ReputationRep:

(Joking)

I think that any reading will make you cleverer in some way, be it increased knowledge of quantum mechanics, a deeper understanding of world cultures, or simply a slightly improved vocabulary, reading is a good thing. I don't think that any book will make you dumber, but I suppose there's always exceptions!

ReputationRep:
    THE BIBLE HA HA HA HA HA LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    :facepalm2: Whatever your opinion, how you can forward this key text as something which will make you dumber is beyond me

To the OP - Ann Coulter
    Because if somebody reads it, there's the chance they might take it as academic opinion.

And if anybody takes Marx's works as anything other than humorous conjecture, they're stupid.

QED, thank you

ReputationRep:
    I thought Twilight was actually a good thing to read. It made me realise something, that to be a best-selling author, it's not necessary to be some kind of literary genius or wizard with words. It's possible to do it just by having a simple idea, and using it to cater for a specific audience - and I think that applies with most forms of creative work.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    I thought Twilight was actually a good thing to read. It made me realise something, that to be a best-selling author, it's not necessary to be some kind of literary genius or wizard with words. It's possible to do it just by having a simple idea, and using it to cater for a specific audience - and I think that applies with most forms of creative work.

That was proven ages ago by one Ms Rowling. Good fun as the Harry Potter books are, and as much as I enjoyed the story... the woman can't write for ****.

Anyway... my suggestion... any Inspector Morse book. I had to read one for my advanced higher english dissertation. You'll probably get dumber when you're forced to stab yourself in the head with a screwdriver out of sheer boredom.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, with this thread.

In way English books and general works of English literature will not make you smarter. Sciences books that aren't popular sciences books are good though, hence why I only read maths books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    I win,

http://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/

Pos rep to anyone who can beat that.
    I got to "I go to a magic school called Hogwarts in England" and died... :rolleyes:

To the OP:

Soldier of Rome: The Legionary by James Mace
    I got it from the library and was very close to burning it by Chapter 2. I could write a review of why but this guy on amazon sums it up pretty well: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2RZG...SIN=059541737X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    That was proven ages ago by one Ms Rowling. Good fun as the Harry Potter books are, and as much as I enjoyed the story... the woman can't write for ****.
    I'll agree that she's no Poet Laureate with regards to her English - but I do think that she made a very creative and immersive story out of a simple idea, and that's what people found appealing. The plots and subplots were nicely linked together, and it kept the reader thinking, wondering and remembering.

Stephenie Meyer seems to have attempted this to some degree in the fourth book of her series, not to much avail. All she's really got going for her are her far-fetched descriptions of Edward. But this alone seems to have caught the attention of teenage girls everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    the georgia nicholson diaries-a hilarious but light read.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.