Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't want to go to graduation - parents? watch

I really don't want to go to graduation for a number of reasons, for one thing I feel very uncomfortable being the centre of attention (add to that being dressed in a silly gown and I think I'll be too self-conscoius), I'm bad enough in my own clothes.

Another thing thats bugging me is the parent issue. My parents and family expect me to go to graduation (after all its kind of a given). Howver my parents split when I was 1, and have pretty much been hostile ever since. It just feels VERY awkward when they are forced together, pretending to be like some happy family. Ultimately this will lead to a day of them speaking bluntly to each other as though they are complete strangers.

Is there anyway you can miss graduations and still get your certificate?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the ceremony is not compulsory at most universities. Maybe you should speak to your family before you make the decision though?

ReputationRep:
    You can graduate in absentia. However, I'd speak to your parents about this first, especially if they have supported you financially through university. I see graduations as something to grin and bear for the sake of my family as it is the only real demonstration they get of your achievement.

ReputationRep:
    noo go! its a once (ok maybe more) in a lifetime opportunity!

ReputationRep:
    I didnt really want to go to my graduation (was busy with other stuff, didnt have the money, bad memories of the place after a hellish final year) but I went for my parents sake and it was great actually.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I really don't want to go to graduation for a number of reasons, for one thing I feel very uncomfortable being the centre of attention (add to that being dressed in a silly gown and I think I'll be too self-conscoius), I'm bad enough in my own clothes.
    By the time theyve called out the 500th name nobody is paying any attention except the family of the person up there. It wont be as bad as you expect.

Another thing thats bugging me is the parent issue. My parents and family expect me to go to graduation (after all its kind of a given). Howver my parents split when I was 1, and have pretty much been hostile ever since. It just feels VERY awkward when they are forced together, pretending to be like some happy family. Ultimately this will lead to a day of them speaking bluntly to each other as though they are complete strangers.
    sit them both down in turn and ask them to be civil towards each other because graduation is about you not them. They'd have to be pretty childish and selfish not to agree to that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.