Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you organise your music folder on comp? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm finally getting music onto my laptop, yes I'm very behind the times I know! How do you guys divide it up? Music genres? Artist? I'm confused. :p:

ReputationRep:
    iTunes.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    iTunes.

:dontknow:
    This

Install iTunes and let it do all the work for you.

ReputationRep:
    By Artist, then divide that up by Album.

ReputationRep:
    All saved in separate folders under artist name.
    I try and avoid iTunes, because if they ever decide they want to start charging £10000 a second to use it, you're stuck, and you haven't got an actual mp3 copy of your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    I try and avoid iTunes, because if they ever decide they want to start charging £10000 a second to use it, you're stuck, and you haven't got an actual mp3 copy of your own.
    If they ever start charging for it, their business will literally implode overnight.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the EU would just rule it an illegal action and order Apple to overturn it in European jurisdictions.

ReputationRep:
    Once you've bought an mp3 from iTunes they can't start charging you to use it anymore than HMV could if you bought an CD.

To answer the OP: I use itunes and tell it to organise my music collection and sync to my iPhone etc. I find I don't actually use itunes to play music anymore, however - Spotify seems to be my default music player as there's just so much more to listen to!

ReputationRep:
    One word: iTunes
    =D

ReputationRep:
    I just put them in the folder all together

Yes im too lazy to organize them :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously what on earth are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Alphabetical order of song artists.

Music Folder > Artists > Albums > Songs

ReputationRep:
    In Discographies; one for each subfolder and then by album. Albums are by year. Note if you buy iTunes to arrange you music I'll, I, I I don't freaking know what I'm gonna do apart from:

ReputationRep:
    \Artist\Album\Track No - Track Title

In an ideal world. The reality is somewhat different, so I use iTunes to make it all work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    If they ever start charging for it, their business will literally implode overnight.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the EU would just rule it an illegal action and order Apple to overturn it in European jurisdictions.
    (Original post by kexy)
    Once you've bought an mp3 from iTunes they can't start charging you to use it anymore than HMV could if you bought an CD.

To answer the OP: I use itunes and tell it to organise my music collection and sync to my iPhone etc. I find I don't actually use itunes to play music anymore, however - Spotify seems to be my default music player as there's just so much more to listen to!
    Ah fair enough, I didn't realize that...
    I'm just suspicious of Apple having such a grip over my music collection. You need THEIR software to play the tracks, and you can't transfer it over to a non-Apple device to play or burn it on to a cd to play in your car, you have to have an Apple device. Too much of a monopoly....

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough, I didn't realize that...
    I'm just suspicious of Apple having such a grip over my music collection. You need THEIR software to play the tracks, and you can't transfer it over to a non-Apple device to play or burn it on to a cd to play in your car, you have to have an Apple device. Too much of a monopoly....
    You can transfer to another device quite easily, I assure you. You can even get DRM free tunes using iTunes plus.

iTunes also includes a disc burner, which is really easy for you to make any cd you want to play in your car.

Most of my iTunes library is non-iTunes songs, most are simply ripped from cds.

ReputationRep:
    iTunes fascism is from the old, DRM'd days which are thankfully behind us- but I still object to having a music program organise my music for me, I'd much rather know exactly where things are myself!

My "Music SORTED" folder looks like:
    Artist -> [year] Album Title -> [track no] Track Title
    Any single tracks (i.e. not on albums/EPs, of which there are very few) get their own folder called "Misc. [Artist Name]".

My "Music UNSORTED" folder looks like:
    SDAKJDJHA217813hKJNDaKJNJK123120 94I234;W2-12=-

...but luckily it comprises less than 10% of my total music by filesize.

ReputationRep:
    iTunes does it for me.

Basically it organizes it like this:

Artist Folder (i.e. TVOTR) >Album Folder (i.e. Dear Science,)>Tracks for that album.

Sweet.

I never look inside them again, I just use iTunes if I want to listen to anything.

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 massive folders on 2 external HDs, I have 2 on one HD because it started taking ******* ages to open the original folder if I wanted to drag an album onto my MP3. Asides that I just use Winamp, iTunes takes way too long to import everything (I wipe it all every so often and reimport to get rid of all the stuff I've deleted) and on top of that iTunes seems to be really slow and use more resources.

I would be using Foobar but it has a habbit of crashing on my PC. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I have 3 massive folders on 2 external HDs, I have 2 on one HD because it started taking ******* ages to open the original folder if I wanted to drag an album onto my MP3. Asides that I just use Winamp, iTunes takes way too long to import everything (I wipe it all every so often and reimport to get rid of all the stuff I've deleted) and on top of that iTunes seems to be really slow and use more resources.

I would be using Foobar but it has a habbit of crashing on my PC. :\
    That sucks. Have you tried the latest version of Foobar? It just hit v1.0.

Splitting folders into Artists then Albums instead of just Albums could make it faster to load?

ReputationRep:
    Dumped in to my Music library, then roughly arranged by artist, then album.. With individual tracks slung in a separate folder. Works for me, all there in front of me when I open WMP, can't complain.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.