Turn on thread page Beta

Insomnia, sleeping pills? watch

Anon please.

Hi, i have terrible insomnia, is it neccessary to see a doctor/gp? Can i get sleeping pills? Does anyone here on tsr use them?
    Just would like anyone who has the same problem to share experience please.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I have had insomnia on and off for years. The doctor was always very reluctant to give me sleeping pills, partly for reasons i wont go into and partly cause they can be addictive, and it is better to sort out a decent routine. During the day, do so much that you struggle to stay awake past 10pm, never sit or lie on your bed until you are going to go to sleep, and make it the comfiest place ever. Go to bed at a set time every day, and wake up and a set time everyday, even if you lie there awake stick to the times. Never go to bed hungry either.

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem, and I didn't sleep more than 2 hours a night most of last week (drove me a little bit mad to say the least!) But I've since tried using lavender oil on my pillow, and I have strict sleeping hours between 11pm and 8am. No lie-ins.
    Last few nights I've slept like a baby
    Have you tried the following?
    -daily exercise for at least 30 mins
    -strict sleeping hours (bed by a certain hour, no sleeping past a certain hour)
    -don't eat in the 2 hours before bed
    -relaxing music
    -warm milky drink
    -wind down routine (in the hour before bed do something relaxing, like reading)
    -lavender oil on pillow
    -move bed around so it's in a different place

Work your way through this checklist, and if none of the above work then go on sleeping pills but only use them as backup on the odd night when nothing else works.
    Good luck, I know how crappy lack of sleep makes you feel x

(Original post by Double Agent)
    I have had insomnia on and off for years. The doctor was always very reluctant to give me sleeping pills, partly for reasons i wont go into and partly cause they can be addictive, and it is better to sort out a decent routine. During the day, do so much that you struggle to stay awake past 10pm, never sit or lie on your bed until you are going to go to sleep, and make it the comfiest place ever. Go to bed at a set time every day, and wake up and a set time everyday, even if you lie there awake stick to the times. Never go to bed hungry either.
    Am trying terribly... It is hard, I ended up sleeping for about 15 minutes the whole of last night. I really hate it.

(Original post by Angrybanana)
    I have this problem, and I didn't sleep more than 2 hours a night most of last week (drove me a little bit mad to say the least!) But I've since tried using lavender oil on my pillow, and I have strict sleeping hours between 11pm and 8am. No lie-ins.
    Last few nights I've slept like a baby
    Have you tried the following?
    -daily exercise for at least 30 mins
    -strict sleeping hours (bed by a certain hour, no sleeping past a certain hour)
    -don't eat in the 2 hours before bed
    -relaxing music
    -warm milky drink
    -wind down routine (in the hour before bed do something relaxing, like reading)
    -lavender oil on pillow
    -move bed around so it's in a different place

Work your way through this checklist, and if none of the above work then go on sleeping pills but only use them as backup on the odd night when nothing else works.
    Good luck, I know how crappy lack of sleep makes you feel x
    Do you know side effects of sleeping pills, except poster above mentioned they can be addictive. Sorry, where can i buy lavender oil?

ReputationRep:
    How are things in the rest of your life, have you got any issues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you know side effects of sleeping pills, except poster above mentioned they can be addictive. Sorry, where can i buy lavender oil?
    I saw a dr this morning about them and they said that the main problem is that if you use them every night for a period beyond 3 weeks then they stop working as you get used to them, so if you do take them restrict their use to 2 or 3 a week if nothing else works.

You can buy lavender oil in a pharmacy, or a big supermarket. Cost me about eight pounds for a bottle but it's been worth every penny, so do try it.

Why do you think you have so much trouble sleeping? Because if you're depressed then you're better off tackling the causes of that.

(Original post by Double Agent)
    How are things in the rest of your life, have you got any issues?
    Going through a rough patch, but my sleeping has always been a problem, but last nights was just extreme..

(Original post by Angrybanana)
    I saw a dr this morning about them and they said that the main problem is that if you use them every night for a period beyond 3 weeks then they stop working as you get used to them, so if you do take them restrict their use to 2 or 3 a week if nothing else works.

You can buy lavender oil in a pharmacy, or a big supermarket. Cost me about eight pounds for a bottle but it's been worth every penny, so do try it.

Why do you think you have so much trouble sleeping? Because if you're depressed then you're better off tackling the causes of that.
    Oki, thank you very much. I will try and buy some.
    What can i do about depression... I don't think i can class it as depression, I am not sure.

ReputationRep:
    I've been given sleeping pills for my insomnia and I don't use them anymore. I was told to use them for a month to see if it helped but to be honest it's empty sleep. I slept a little more (i.e. it would take me one hour to get to sleep instead of three/not at all) but I felt hungover a lot of the time and never refreshed.
    Plus you can become dependent on them or just get used to them so they take no effect.
    IMO dont bother.
    I've set myself a routine of getting around 8 hours sleep a night, setting my alarm for 9 o clock latest and sticking to it. I do an hours exercise every day and have a hot drink before bed, dont go on laptop/watch TV in the 2 hours before bed and read a book to settle down.
    It has taken a while to get into the routine but has made a HUGE difference; you have to put the effort in and it will be difficult at first but definitely worth it in the long run.
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oki, thank you very much. I will try and buy some.
    What can i do about depression... I don't think i can class it as depression, I am not sure.
    Only a GP can diagnose you with depression so if you think that is an issue you're better off talking to them about that.

Hope you get some sleep x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.