Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this has been discussed before, but the discussion turned into who has more adventure training, and I feel my situation is a little different.

I'm a 23 year old graduate, and have just been accepted into a 5 yr medicine course. I plan on applying for a medical cadetship. Here's my options:

1. Army. Apply for Army bursary, do OTC, apply for Army cadetship.
    2. Navy. Join Royal Marines Reserve for first 2 years, then apply for Navy cadetship.

I would plan on being a MO for at least the 6 year commitment, and maybe longer.

First and foremost, I want to become the most competent doctor I can, and I plan on entering a surgical specialty (probably orthopedics). If either Army or Navy would provide a clear advantage in this area, then that's what I'll pick. I've heard, for example, that it's required to spend 2 years as a general medical officer in the Navy which would delay my training. I do not want this. Is it true?

Secondly, I am looking forward to being deployed, but would not want to be away from home for 2-3 months maximum. How long would deployments be in each case? How long would you be on a ship for if in the Navy?

Lastly, I would like to be stationed in a good area, such as London. How much choice do you have over this and where are young medical officers in each service usually posted?

Also, how would OTC be (socially and otherwise) for a mature student, such as myself?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    army is better for surgery...pretty obvious due to actual combat in army as opposed to largely distance by navy....
    you do not choose where you get deployed....as a doctor, you probbably be in a military hospital (selly oak..etc.) and on operations will be jamming waaay behind the front line in most cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    army is better for surgery...pretty obvious due to actual combat in army as opposed to largely distance by navy....
    you do not choose where you get deployed....as a doctor, you probbably be in a military hospital (selly oak..etc.) and on operations will be jamming waaay behind the front line in most cases
    Is there any truth to this? I was under the assumption that most field hospitals were staffed by medics from all services. What are some more of the biggest military hospitals?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solidgk)
    Is there any truth to this? I was under the assumption that most field hospitals were staffed by medics from all services. What are some more of the biggest military hospitals?

Thanks
    obviously it will be medics from all services, however as an army medic, you are more likely to be in one as unlike the navy, the army don't have ships that need doctors...if you get me...:rolleyes:

selly oak is the main one....although I'm pretty sure there are others in places like portsmouth and southampton.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.