The Student Room Group

Toys r us granduate scheme

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has has experience with the interview process for this scheme?

I have a telephone interview in a few days and would welcome some tips.

I'm not asking for you to tell me the questions, just a general overview

Thanks
Reply 1
amybam
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has has experience with the interview process for this scheme?

I have a telephone interview in a few days and would welcome some tips.

I'm not asking for you to tell me the questions, just a general overview

Thanks

I don't have any experience, but this would be a childhood dream :-D I could get cheap toys for my future kids! Good luck :yep:
Reply 2
I know somebody who did the scheme for a bit and quit because of the mental hours.
How did the phone interview go??

I passed mine for toysrus and have a first interview at a store tomorrow :-)

Not too sure what to expect, they ve messed me around a bit, they said i was through to an assessment centre months ago and have taken a long time to finally schedule me in for something...and turns out its not an assessment centre but a first interview.

Dont know if anyone else has had a similar experience with them, they do seem a bit disorganised though
nikkibiscuit

Not too sure what to expect, they ve messed me around a bit, they said i was through to an assessment centre months ago and have taken a long time to finally schedule me in for something...and turns out its not an assessment centre but a first interview.

Dont know if anyone else has had a similar experience with them, they do seem a bit disorganised though

How did your first interview go?? What kind of things did they ask you/make you do etc??
I have mine tomorrow.....! :woo:
They seemed to have been quite good with me throughout the porcess (i.e from application-phone interview-now etc) and everything has moved quite quickly along. Better than some other schemes I have applied for thats for sure!:yep:
Reply 5
Original post by nikkibiscuit

I also have a telephone interview in a few day. Pls can u help me?

what sort of questions did they ask u on the telephone interview?

and what did they ask u to do in the assessment centre?

thanks in advance.
I'm through to the Assessment Centre too.

For the phone interview its just general competency type questions! :smile:

Anybody have any advise for the "Talent Showcase"?
Original post by James Matthews
I'm through to the Assessment Centre too.

For the phone interview its just general competency type questions! :smile:

Anybody have any advise for the "Talent Showcase"?

Ya didn't tell me in your PM's that this was for graduates :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I've just been offered a position on the Toys R Us graduate scheme. Has anybody else also been offered a graduate role?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by j_bo
I've just been offered a position on the Toys R Us graduate scheme. Has anybody else also been offered the job?

Congratz :smile: Do you have any tips? Was it similar assessment to the Placement year one?

x m
Reply 10
Thank you :-) I actually didn't do an a placement year so I can't really compare it to the assessment centre/ 'talent showcase.' My general advice would be to turn up and not be scared to speak/ be yourself; the amount of people who attended yet didn't really speak up and get involved really surprised me. If you don't get involved then your never going to get noticed. Are you hoping to apply next year?
Original post by j_bo
Thank you :-) I actually didn't do an a placement year so I can't really compare it to the assessment centre/ 'talent showcase.' My general advice would be to turn up and not be scared to speak/ be yourself; the amount of people who attended yet didn't really speak up and get involved really surprised me. If you don't get involved then your never going to get noticed. Are you hoping to apply next year?

Yer welcome :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi,

I wonder, what kind of questions they ask for graduate management program apart form the general questions,, I will have an interview soon, is tehre any one who got the interview for this job?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
As a longstanding toys r us manager I would say steer well clear unless you are desperate.The companies expectations have become overwhelming and in my experience very few graduates stay the course.The training course has become overly intensive,the unsociable hours a killer and the rewards poor.Expect to work around 45 hours a week rising to 60-70 in the run up to Christmas.Working hours are between 7am and 10pm depending on whether you are the opening or closing manager.
I am leaving shortly ...if you want my job then you're welcome to it.Good Luck

Good luck to you all
I have a place at an assessment day but I don't know when or where yet. They don't seem very organised...
DO NOT apply for this scheme, it is possibly the worst company to work for. I have worked there nearly a year now on the graduate programme and it is definitely been the worst year of my life.

The job is nothing like it is advertised, the pay is poor compared to the hours you do, roughly 48-50 a week, mainly unsociable hours and 9-10 hour days. You work every weekend and are frowned upon if you ask for them off or ask for any time off in general. The company does not value you whatsoever and it really is not a job I would recommend to anyone, please stay clear of Toys R Us, unless you are incredibly desperate. Even then, dont apply to Toys R Us. They lie and try to gloss over the details of the job and it really is not like it is advertised.

Oh, and the promotion aspect, forget about it. You will get nowhere for atleast 5-6 years, and even then only if you have the right attitude and if they like you, not on how hard you work, only on the hours you do and how many more hours you are willing to sacrifice for the sake of this god awful company.

Stay well clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending