Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Living with GF???? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well basically me and my girlfriend are both at uni in our first year and are looking for a house/flat to live together next year. I was just looking for some advise from anyone in the same situation or anyone who has or is living with their boyfriend/girlfriend while at uni. And how they're getting on together and whther its a good or bad idea??

ReputationRep:
    We did it 2.5 years ago It's more expensive living on your own but I work full time so it's not too bad.

Have you ever stayed together before? My bf and I lived in the same halls in first year (but different flats) so we kind of got used to living very close so wasn't much of a shock to live together

ReputationRep:
    We're in different halls, but she pretty much spends most of her time at my flat n we get on fine. but if we did fall out she can go to hers can't she. so i was just thinking that if we were in the same house n we fell out - no one where to go :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I live with my OH (first year undergrads) In a halls of residence but in a twin room. It can be great, but at times i need my space. To get this space I have to go to my friends house. Its dificult to do as things like one of you wanting to go to bed and the other not can effect each other.

I am glad i have done it, i just wish there was more than one room!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you get a place with 2 bedrooms so that you'll still be able to get away from each other?

ReputationRep:
    I've been faced with this problem, but have decided to live with friends for my first year not in halls, just in case anything goes awry - my BF and I have only known each other since late October, and while I can't see any problems happening now, who can predict the future?

ReputationRep:
    I lived with my boyfriend in our second year in a shared house, and now for our third year we have a flat to ourselves. We lived in separate halls in first year, but once we got together if he wasn't staying at mine, I was at his, so we knew we'd get on alright living together and luckily haven't had any problems. If you're worried about needing your own space then get somewhere with two bedrooms - that means as well you can use one as a study, which is what we do. I don't know about your uni town, but around here there are no one bedroom student places so a two bedroom place was our only option!

ReputationRep:
    This depends on how likely you are to stay together. I have been with my girlfriend for 4+ years now. We got together around the start of 6th form, and went to separate universities. She got an industrial placement for her third year, nearer to me, so we moved in together last September. It has been great.

I figured since we had gotten through two years of living apart and were still together we could handle moving in: I was right.

On the other hand, if you were to split up with her then it could cause all sorts of trouble, one of you might want to move out to get away from the other, and that is a hassle. I recommend you really question yourselves and ask if you are ready for it.

You also have to be prepared to adapt to each other. When you are living apart you have your own showers, your own kitchens and might not experience each others' annoying habits!

ReputationRep:
    we decided to go ahead, 2 bedrooms like everyone suggested in case we do fall out plus we get space aswell. my flat mates now are moving into a house 10mins away which isnt's too bad either so hopefully everything will be fine.
    we talked it through and decided that if anything did happen, eg splitting up, we'd just have to be mature about it and still be friends.
    thanks eveyone for the help

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.