Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths is killing me... We have to have all of our lessons after school as 1 of our maths teachers is in Hospital until Easter, and I just don't have the motivation anymore... Do I have to tell the Unis that have given me offers if I decide to drop Further Maths??

Any Opinions?? (By Dropping FMaths I will be left with 3 Subjects, and Further Maths isn't a be all and end all requirement on the courses I have applied for, oh and I probably got a C/D in FP2 In Jan.)

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    oh god ....do you drop/do you not??? ... yes/no.
    i mean i tink its sorta k to drop .... provided none of the universities have asked for it .... make sure you check with them though.
    BUT ...
    you took units in jan? im sure you did others apart from the further maths modules, like other subjects. if you get good marks that'll lessen the work load for may + if you can cope ... i say you dont drop it (i mean its further maths ... you must have worked real hard alreadi)
    hope this helps =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimita)
    oh god ....do you drop/do you not??? ... yes/no.
    i mean i tink its sorta k to drop .... provided none of the universities have asked for it .... make sure you check with them though.
    BUT ...
    you took units in jan? im sure you did others apart from the further maths modules, like other subjects. if you get good marks that'll lessen the work load for may + if you can cope ... i say you dont drop it (i mean its further maths ... you must have worked real hard alreadi)
    hope this helps =)
    Yeah I agree with you there... It will def. reduce the workload and Yes I had Maths, Physics and Chemistry in Jan. I have an AS in FMaths at B... so thats all good at the moment. Thanks for the help... lets see if others have the same view

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who did this and was left with 3 other subjects to do, and so far he seems to just feel relieved at having made his workload smaller. We don't do January modules though... I think if you've got three other subjects anyway and you're worried aout workload, then just drop it- won't do you much harm IMO!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation with Physics. I don't need it for any of my courses and if i dropped it it would make a hell of a difference to my other 3 subjects. I stayed behind to talk with my teacher today and he told me i would have to e-mail the uni's and let them know, then they might change the grades i need etc...I really have lost all interest in the subject, not helped by the fact i'm the only girl in the entire school who does it, but at the same time i dont want all the work i did for the january modules to be a complete waste of time.
    I think i'm gonna leave it a untill next week and then decide. It's tough tho just throwing all the time spent doing it away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chupito)
    I'm in the same situation with Physics. I don't need it for any of my courses and if i dropped it it would make a hell of a difference to my other 3 subjects. I stayed behind to talk with my teacher today and he told me i would have to e-mail the uni's and let them know, then they might change the grades i need etc...I really have lost all interest in the subject, not helped by the fact i'm the only girl in the entire school who does it, but at the same time i dont want all the work i did for the january modules to be a complete waste of time.
    I think i'm gonna leave it a untill next week and then decide. It's tough tho just throwing all the time spent doing it away.
    Thanks.

I think I will email the Universities, ask them what they think, and what they would do If I dropped Further Maths, and then make my decision.

Good luck on your decision.

ReputationRep:
    i am in the same situation, but isnt too late to drop it? when is the last date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Step_into_my_world)
    i am in the same situation, but isnt too late to drop it? when is the last date?
    I don't know. I really haven't had a discussion about it. I have been told that I have to wait until the exam results come. Our director or studies supposedly wants to talk to me after half term, so I will try to update this at some point.

I don't know what would happen with the a2 grade, but I have a suspicion that the school are going to try to make me stay on. I will probably have to reapply to university if I can't drop it. I don't want to get a C/D in further maths, so I will have to work for that, and therefore give less work to my main subjects. - so I probably wont get 3A's.

Stupid ******* school imo.

ReputationRep:
    i so agree with you, my 4th a -level is ict which i want to drop coz i have lost interest so am not doing well. the good thing is i have not any exams for it.

(Original post by Paske)
    I don't know. I really haven't had a discussion about it. I have been told that I have to wait until the exam results come. Our director or studies supposedly wants to talk to me after half term, so I will try to update this at some point.

I don't know what would happen with the a2 grade, but I have a suspicion that the school are going to try to make me stay on. I will probably have to reapply to university if I can't drop it. I don't want to get a C/D in further maths, so I will have to work for that, and therefore give less work to my main subjects. - so I probably wont get 3A's.

ReputationRep:
    i heard that you can drop an a-level at any time, so it should be fine coz they can't force you to carry on if you are not interested.

i so agree with you, my 4th a -level is ict which i want to drop coz i have lost interest so am not doing well. the good thing is i have not any exams for it.

ReputationRep:
    btw can i ask you soemthing, what did they say when you first told them you want to drop it?

(Original post by Paske)

ReputationRep:
    btw can i ask you soemthing, what did they say when you first told them you want to drop it?
    Yeah.. I got stared out by my maths teacher. Honestly. That's what happened. I felt like ****, and he was like are you serious?... and I told him that I was, and he told me I should wait until March for the results.

ReputationRep:
    same here really... Lost interest and the workload is quite high.

ReputationRep:
    I am really stuck with what to do i am cureently in year 12 any am studying 4 Alevels which are all based around performing arts other than media studies which i am really struggling with. i have never studied the subject before but at the open day it sounded really interesting and fun. however when i started the real teach had gone on maternity leave and so the school replaced her with a retired supply teacher who didn't have a clue. as a result i didn't go to my media exam in January because i didn't have a clue what to do and now the real teacher has just arrived back and has piled on the work. the whole coursework is based on a computer system that i have never used before however the majority of the class have due to them all having done there GCSEs in it. my mum fully supports me in dropping media as all my other subjects are slacking due to the excessive workload n now my teachers r saying they wont allow me to drop it even tho every other skwl does and i will still be continuing with 3a levels which is more then most people. who can i talk to for help asap as i dont have time to waste and my school is showing any support
    thank you x

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.