Turn on thread page Beta

The divorce rate in England is disgusting watch

ReputationRep:
    It's sometimes better if they split, really. Surely it's better that they are happy. I live in a single parent and it is great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    not as horrific in having your whole family set up completely destroyed. and besides which not all divorces are because of unhappy couples, nor because the children can see it.
    You don't know what you're talking about. There's nothing wrong with seeing one parent during the week and one at weekends/every other weekend, or one week at one parent's house one week at another. I haven't found it too difficult at all, much preferable to having to endure my parents' misery. It would only be a problem if one decided to move really far away and you couldn't see them.

And divorces not because of unhappy couples? What are you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangstermidget)
    My parents are not divorced only because of me, Id prefer it if they were divorced, I know how much my mom suffers, and it is also pressure on me, its making me feel like I owe something to them that is causing huge pain to their lives, so no OP, if they dont belong to each other anymore a fake family wouldnt do the children any good; pretending to be still loving each other is a pain
    You should tell her so she can be free and happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    There was some confusion over whether me or my step-sister had stolen 20p's worth of change on the way back from a shop (I lived in a village back then). I didn't say I saw her do it because she was bigger and older than me, and she of course denied it (although didn't directly blame on me), so out of simplicity he beat both of us.

But I'm a little confused: are you impplying that there's EVER a good reason to beat a small child with a belt??
    How else will small children learn?

Seems like he did the sensible thing. You didn't steal anything in the future, did you?

Ive never heard a child of divorced parents complaining about it. It always seems to be other people with the problem.

ReputationRep:
    My parents solved this by never getting married. Well, okay, my mother solved it by flat-out refusing to get married because a) she's an atheist, b) she thinks the whole thing is a little bit silly and c) she watched her mother suffer through years of being married to a petty, cantankerous old fool. When my father left I was so relieved, and not having to go through the whole legal rigmarole really added to that.

Like my mother, I prefer the equality and comfort of the word 'partner' than 'husband', 'wife' or 'spouse'. It means that when the person you trust most storms out the door, bags packed, yelling about how you owe them money and the last few years of your life back, and how the kids are still theirs, you can say, actually, no, you can just get lost. I'd rather my boyfriend became my partner than my husband.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like divorce, but it's better to get divorced than to be trapped in an abusive relationship, or if there are other problems that are too great to be worked out.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less either way tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my sister have turned out fine despite having a charlatan father with womanising ways.

My mom did the right thing by divorcing him.

And if you've read/watched the news, you'll discover that the divorce rate is at its lowest at the moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8485132.stm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's the result of ill-advised decisions as a result of lust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Areyoukidding?)
    It seems like every single person I speak to has split parents.

I'm sick of hearing all this "it's better for the kids if we break up" crap - no it's not you retarded ****. It's better for the kids if you take some responsibility and work out your problems instead of doing the selfish thing and then trying to justify it in the name of your children.
    My parents getting divorced was the best thing they ever did. I can honestly say that the first ten years of my life in which we lived as a family were the worst so far. So who the **** are you telling my family who we can and can't live with? My parents did try to work it out but they realised that was selfish, I was being forced to endure a horrible home life for the sake of holding up some archaic institution.

You may live in a happy little family OP but some of us don't, every family has it's problems but some problems cannot be worked out. Violence, abuse, neglect are all inexcusable. Marriage is a contract so if one side breaks it by say, being unfaithful, not providing for the family or just generally being a complete *******, the contract is null and void.

ReputationRep:
    My parents separated 6 years ago this year. There were no visible arguments, me and my sisters had absolutely no idea it was going to happen. They were hiding how unhappy there were from us, but it got to the stage where they'd become so unhappy they couldn't live together anymore. Yeah, it was tough at the time - but quite honestly it was what was best for our family. Six years on we're all happy - we live mostly with my mum, and go and stay with our dad on arranged days of the week. Everybody is very civil and it works for us. And to be honest, I have a much closer relationship with my dad because of it. We're now very close, and it's because we talk everyday (through text/e-mail/msn) whereas before when we all lived at home I didn't communicate as much with either of my parents because I just took it for granted - we all lived together and were one big happy family.

So, really I think there's no point remaining together if you're so unhappy and if there are also other problems.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell do people have ******* kids if they plan on getting divorced after having the kid. retarded people in this country.

I think it's naive to think that parents can always settle their differences for the sake of their children. The family unit is merely a facade when the parents have deep issues with one another, and it really is best to end it before the children (if young) develop a warped view of what makes a functional family.

My 'rents divorced when I was about 11 (now 18). I do believe it was for the better, although on the negative side I think it's made me rather cynical about conventional family life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Areyoukidding?)
    It seems like every single person I speak to has split parents.

I'm sick of hearing all this "it's better for the kids if we break up" crap - no it's not you retarded ****. It's better for the kids if you take some responsibility and work out your problems instead of doing the selfish thing and then trying to justify it in the name of your children.
    Why is divorce a bad thing? I mean, fundamentally, what is wrong with it?
    It can be damaging to children, but it isn't necessarily - in the same way that some couples can be damaging to children, too - it's how you cope with the divorce, not divorce itself that damages children.

ReputationRep:
    the divorce rate is pathetic tbh. I'd much prefer people were casual with their relationships or were in open relationships than the amount of cheating and divorcing that goes on. its crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    How else will small children learn?

Seems like he did the sensible thing. You didn't steal anything in the future, did you?
    What?? Are you serious? I'm gonna guess you're trolling, but that's still a really twisted view.

The answer to your second question is actually no, it taught me that even if I didn't steal, I'd get punished, so I might as well steal anyway and at least get compensated for receiving a beating. When I got a bit older I realised stealing was wrong owing to the influence of my mum and teachers at school, but being beaten when I'd done nothing wrong taught me nothing positive.

ReputationRep:
    work out your problems
    Some problems can't be worked out, and become bigger and more morbid over time. It's funny you posted this. It was just yesterday when my parents had a monstruous argument about money w/e. I remember ages ago when mum mentioned divorce, how dad said "No, it's better for the kids if we stay together". Really? Is it better for me and my sister to live in a house full of misunderstanding, pain, rage and uncertainty? Could you ever answer that for me? No, you couldn't.

You generalisation and arrogance are disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    MY PARENTS HAVE NEVER SPLIT UP OR DIVORCED!

I felt I should make this quite clear, meaning I am superior to you all :ta:

Nor mine , and as I said in my earlier post, they were married for 36 years . No bragging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    not as horrific in having your whole family set up completely destroyed. and besides which not all divorces are because of unhappy couples, nor because the children can see it.
    You're talking ****. I'm happy that my parents got divorced and I really don't think it's that much of deal, they're both remarried and they still get on even though they're not married any more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.