Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The divorce rate in England is disgusting Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TownPrat)
    I think people need to realise what their doing when they marry someone, once married it's your responsibility to society to make things work between you. If they don't work, you should've never got married in the first place. IMO there is no excuse for divorce, its just a result of people jumping into marriage too fast.
    So you should know at the age of 25 if you're going to be with that person for the next sixty years?
    If what you're saying is true, nobody should get married at all. You don't know what's going to happen in the future, just how you feel now - and if that feeling is that you want to be with that person, there's nothing wrong with marrying them.

What you're saying is all very well in an idealistic life, but it's totally impractical and not at all representative of how humans work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Areyoukidding?)
    It seems like every single person I speak to has split parents.

I'm sick of hearing all this "it's better for the kids if we break up" crap - no it's not you retarded ****. It's better for the kids if you take some responsibility and work out your problems instead of doing the selfish thing and then trying to justify it in the name of your children.
    Err my parents spent 3 years trying to "work out" their problems before they finally gave up and got a divorce. In the end they'd only been staying together because they couldn't afford the divorce. I can safely say those were 3 of the most miserable years of my life. Not to mention the next 3 years afterwards and all the repercussions my mothers failed attempts had caused. Not all problems can be worked out.

(Original post by tom//)
    not as horrific in having your whole family set up completely destroyed. and besides which not all divorces are because of unhappy couples, nor because the children can see it.
    That's a little melodramatic. It's a divorce, not a death. Just because your parents aren't married anymore doesn't necessarily mean you relationship with either of them has to change.

(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Why the hell do people have ******* kids if they plan on getting divorced after having the kid. retarded people in this country.
    Because it's the 21st century and you don't have to be married to have kids anymore. I never understood this notion... a piece of paper and a ceremony doesn't mean anything in regards to how much you'll love your children if you decide to have them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    not as horrific in having your whole family set up completely destroyed. and besides which not all divorces are because of unhappy couples, nor because the children can see it.
    Sasuke.

This guy knows what it's like =[

ReputationRep:
    My parents were married for 16 years. My Dad had an affair and they divorced. And quite rightly so, in my opinion, I don't blame my mum for not wanting to be with my Dad after that. This whole 'working things through' bull is just spewed out by people who have no idea what they're talking about. They aren't married and neither have they been affected by divorce.

I really don't see why divorce is so frowned upon. We live in the 21st Century. People shouldn't just stay in a marriage for the sake of it. When the love goes, the marriage should too, otherwise the whole foundation of marriage is just pointless.

At the end of the day, it really is just a slip of paper. I'm not saying that there aren't consequences to divorce, there are especially to children. However, I genuinely believe that a happy home with 1 parent is much better than an unhappy home with 2.

ReputationRep:
    Not surprising, it's the same in all societies that consider them selves advanced, but forgot that family is the base of society.

The reasons are well known: high selfishness is the major cause. Men and women want to be independant, have a great carrier, sex without commitment... and this doesn't fit when you want to have a stable family.

But the problem is even deeper: the feeling of responsibility and commitment is something that grows with you since your childhood.
    But see how teenagers behave these days: start having sex with 14-15, then when they are 20 they have already had 5-6 partners. How do you expect from such generation to have stable marriages, if they marry. When every single problem becomes a reason to break up. Just see how many threads on TSR with girls saying: my boyfriend is not going down on me, or he's not satisfying me in bed, or he cums quickly, should I break up with him?? Guys saying: she doesn't give me blow job, or doesn't like anal sex, should I dump her. Or even a funny thread from today about breaking up because of the mother's underwear.

When relations became based on just sex and underwears, then one can ask where is love, loyalness, commitment, devotion....obviously gone with the wind :o:

ReputationRep:
    So people should stay in unhappy relationships just for the sake of not getting divorced?

ReputationRep:
    Wish my parents had got divorced earlier - I spent 18 years being right in the middle of all their arguments every single ******* day, I hated school but I didn't like going home to them two arguing every day either. People saying that couples should stay together because they made a commitment or some other rubbish really have no idea what it's like to be in the middle of so much hatred.

ReputationRep:
    My parents only got married after having me because they felt it would be better for me. Now that was the stupid idea, not getting divorced a year later when I was 2. They are now both happily married to other people, and it means they are a lot happier than they ever could have been together.
    Surely its sometimes better to teach kids to be realistic rather than think everything will have a fairytale ending?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    For the last point - you just have to look at history. Humans have only in the last four-thousand years or so actually engaged in monogamous relationships, and marriage as we know it has only really been a concept that has existed since the 1500s (and is mainly a religious construct). Prior to that, although people would 'mate' and form something similar to families, it wasn't 'for life' as we know it.
    Plus, biologically, we don't fit the same 'criteria' or structure as other monogamous animals, we are far, far more similar to animals that don't mate for life.
    Can you show me the archaeological evidence to demonstrate that we have only been monogamous for 4000 years? And what exactly has changed in the structure of marriage since the 1500s? And how do we not fit the criteria to be a monogamous animal?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.