Turn on thread page Beta

Just had my first interview, for Sixth form..what would you make of this? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, to begin with..grades. I need 6 A*-Bs to get in.

My mock results were ...: 2 As, 5 Bs and a C (was predicted A, C was in history ;\).

Second hand, I walked in, handshake and sat down. The man said that because I'd made the effort to bring my report, he'd read it. Is that good or not? About 5 people out of the 48 in our year brought their reports.

Then we discussed subjects etc, he said I just need (minimum)...a B in English and B in ICT to do the subjects I wanted. My mocks were an A in English and a B in ICT. Other important ones were Maths: B and Science :B. The other A was music.

FINALLY, what I really want to know is what you make of this comment. I'm paranoid, I don't think I will sleep for the next two weeks until half term, when we get the letters. I know it's "only sixth form", but this is my first time ever having to go through this process. How I'll survive the wait for results and uni applications, I do not know.

He said right at the end "Ok, well you will be getting a letter just before half term. You don't need to worry if we're going to make you an offer or not, just keep your foot on the pedal!".

Then we did the handshake, I said thank you, and left.

What do you make of that comment? I don't quite understand what he's trying to say. Is it a "There's no point worrying, you won't get in" or is it the other way round? I really hope it is..

Opinions on it, please..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)

My mock results were ...: 2 As, 5 Bs and a C (was predicted A, C was in history ;\).

Second hand, I walked in, handshake and sat down. The man said that because I'd made the effort to bring my report, he'd read it. Is that good or not? About 5 people out of the 48 in our year brought their reports.

Then we discussed subjects etc, he said I just need (minimum)...a B in English and B in ICT to do the subjects I wanted. My mocks were an A in English and a B in ICT. Other important ones were Maths: B and Science :B. The other A was music.

FINALLY, what I really want to know is what you make of this comment. I'm paranoid, I don't think I will sleep for the next two weeks until half term, when we get the letters. I know it's "only sixth form", but this is my first time ever having to go through this process. How I'll survive the wait for results and uni applications, I do not know.

He said right at the end "Ok, well you will be getting a letter just before half term. You don't need to worry if we're going to make you an offer or not, just keep your foot on the pedal!".

What do you make of that comment? I don't quite understand what he's trying to say. Is it a "There's no point worrying, you won't get in" or is it the other way round? I really hope it is..

Opinions on it, please..
    I think the point being made was that he didn't want you to worry like this, because it will distract you from getting the final grades you need to achieve a place there. If you worry too much, you may get the offer, but not the grades, but if you don't worry, you could still get the offer, and the grades.

ReputationRep:
    What he meant to say was "congratulations, your in"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)

Opinions on it, please..
    I swear that as long as you have the required grades you get a place? That's how it was for all the colleges and sixth forms I applied to... Seriously, sixth form is not a big deal at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)

Opinions on it, please..
    I don't think it means anything either way, he's just trying to remind you to keep things in perspective, if you're a good student you'll do fine whichever sixth form you go to, you're in year 11 and your GCSEs are more important. Don't worry about it, concentrate on your grades, you'll end up where you're supposed to be.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.