Turn on thread page Beta

How does one fund a masters degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ^?

ReputationRep:
    or any postgrad qualification FTM???

ReputationRep:
    A small percentage will get funding mainly from individual uni's/research councils. Alot will pay for it with money from their parents/savings. Some may take a year out to do this. A fair share will take out a career development loan from a UK bank. Some will work part time/full time and simultaneously study part time.

More than likely a combination of all/most of the above for most people.

ReputationRep:
    Savings, working, parents (if lucky)

Research Council funding if you're fortunate

ReputationRep:
    Career development loan.

ReputationRep:
    My postgrad education has been funded by my parents so far - but I'm lucky enough to live in France, where most unis have no tuition fees, so they're really just paying for my living expenses. Now I want to do a PhD/DPhil in the UK, and I feel so bad in advance for having no other option than asking my parents to pay for that too, since I don't feel like taking a year off and work. I applied for funding (mainly hoping for university/college funding) but these awards are even harder to get for EU students... That's it as far as my situation goes, hope that helps...

I've taken a year out and will be fully funding myself (the experience I'm getting is invaluable though )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    I've taken a year out and will be fully funding myself (the experience I'm getting is invaluable though )
    Can you support yourself completely on just a year out? How do you do it?
    Sorry, it's just that my plan is to take a year out, but I'm thinkin' that's going to be able to cover rent and pretty much nothing else when it comes to actually studying.

(Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Can you support yourself completely on just a year out? How do you do it?
    Sorry, it's just that my plan is to take a year out, but I'm thinkin' that's going to be able to cover rent and pretty much nothing else when it comes to actually studying.
    Long story short. I started my own company and I'm now contracting as a Java programmer. Fortunately I'm getting paid good money for my work and if my calculations are right I should be able to fully fund myself, tuition and living expenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Long story short. I started my own company and I'm now contracting as a Java programmer. Fortunately I'm getting paid good money for my work and if my calculations are right I should be able to fully fund myself, tuition and living expenses.
    http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...t/default.aspx

! :p:

With regards to the question, though I am applying for research council and university funding, and assuming I do not get it then I will take out a career development loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    My postgrad education has been funded by my parents so far - but I'm lucky enough to live in France, where most unis have no tuition fees, so they're really just paying for my living expenses. Now I want to do a PhD/DPhil in the UK, and I feel so bad in advance for having no other option than asking my parents to pay for that too, since I don't feel like taking a year off and work. I applied for funding (mainly hoping for university/college funding) but these awards are even harder to get for EU students... That's it as far as my situation goes, hope that helps...
    Completely off-topic but I like your avatar :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    ^?
    The tried and tested way - get a job and save like mad.

ReputationRep:
    I spent two years working, which will be enough to allow me to do it part time (and go to New Zealand for half a year!)

ReputationRep:
    Get a part time job while doing your undergraduate degree, you could put it in a seperate bank account if you think you might be tempted to spend it. There you go, 3 years part time work should cover it.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of my friends that graduated took a year out before Masters and it ran them deeper in personal debt as they couldn't find jobs .

I'm applying to PhDs/DPhils. My previous Masters was funded through government loans and my BA was funded by government loans and partial scholarships. I am hoping that this time around I also get scholarship/studentship and add commercial bank loans into the mix. I hear the latter is extremely difficult to get if the degree isn't enroute to being a doctor or lawyer in the US anyway.

The job thing isn't really working out right now. So best to be prepared for other options and not assume one is waiting for you upon graduation to help you save.

ReputationRep:
    but I'm lucky enough to live in France, where most unis have no tuition fees, ...
    I'm living in France aswell! and going to do my postgrad studies in the uk!:woo:

I have taken a year out. this will allow me to pay for tuiton fees and accomodation.
    I'm plannig to work part time at same time as doing my masters degree to pay for the rest ( food, leisure...).

ReputationRep:
    parents...

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely advise taking a year out to earn the money to fund yourself (and gain valuable and essential work experience in the process) if you are unable to receive funding of any kind.

If you have a combination of work experience and a Masters degree, your bound to find yourself a good job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Completely off-topic but I like your avatar :holmes:
    Thanks. I don't know what to think about your "location" statement though... or is it that you've spent enough time in Southern France to know that "dans ton cul" is the generic reply to any question beginning with "where..." ? :france:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I don't know what to think about your "location" statement though... or is it that you've spent enough time in Southern France to know that "dans ton cul" is the generic reply to any question beginning with "where..." ? :france:
    Don't assume English people know the joke. They don't. I'm not English. Nor have I spent any time in the South of France, and they're not the only one crackin crappy jokes in France, innit . But we're spamming now, soz, thread starter.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.