Turn on thread page Beta

Keep a diary? watch

• View Poll Results: Diary - yay or nay?
    Girl - yes
    48.57%
    Girl - no
    20.00%
    Guy - yes
    14.29%
    Guy - no
    17.14%

ReputationRep:
    Hey :hi:

I was just wondering how many people on here actually keep some form of a diary. I've been doing it on and off for years and now have one I write in regularly. In one way I think it's a bit lame and I'm a bit embarrassed about it, but then in another way I guess I think it's a nice thing to do because looking back on old diaries can be so much fun since you simply forget so many details of your life - it can even be helpful for when you're trying to remember when something happened etc.

I expect it's far less common amongst guys, but if there are any out there who do, what do you write in them? Does anyone here actually keep a book of 'conquests'?

I'm just curious and bored, so post and discuss if you like

p.s. I would put up a poll but have no clue how to :p:

ReputationRep:
    I used to keep a personal diary which was just a book to rant about my life in! But then my boyfriend found it and read it which caused lots of problems so I stopped.
    I keep one now just to quickly jot down what I've done that day. I found that I kept forgetting about what I'd done and it's just nice to keep track of things. I don't write anything personal or emotional in it though.

ReputationRep:
    I have several that I've been keeping on and off since I was 14 or so. A couple are blogs that have at some point been public and read by a couple of my friends, but are now private. I also have handwritten ones and one typed and saved onto my computer. I'm not embarrassed that I do it, but quite a lot of it I'd be embarrassed if anyone read (even/especially if the person reading was me...)

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a really nice one for my birthday, and write in it very reguarly, sometimes two or more times per day. I find it more of a journal as I've gotten older, and feel it as something to confide in when I don't have anyone to talk to. It can be a real help sometimes, but I'm careful not to put anything too personal in there, for fear that siblings may read it!

ReputationRep:
    I have several that I've started then forgotten about. But have got one currently going; it's great to vent and stuff I guess. It's more for remembering funny things that have happened, men in my life, etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    I try to, and probably do every other day.

ReputationRep:
    I used to keep a diary but then I realised 3 things.

a) I couldn't be arsed to write it.
    b) Somebody else would read it eventually.
    c) I am self-obsessed enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Oops.. sorry didn't mean to post this thread twice. There's a poll up now, so feel free to vote

ReputationRep:
    i've kept art journals ( http://community.livejournal.com/jr__nal/) since the age of 14. I find them a bit more interesting than regular written diary's, and it means you can add things that are sentimental to you but may seem like rubbish to everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    I have one that I write in whenever I'm bored/angry/upset pretty much. I've kept one for a few years but there are months where I won't write anything and times when I write every day, it's very personal and I'd never let anyone read it.

I also have a blog but that's mainly weird/funny stories.

ReputationRep:
    I keep a diary but I don't write in it regularly at all, just when I feel like it every few months. I wish I had the energy to write in it more often because they are really good keepsakes to look back at.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. My mum or dad would probably find it and try to humilate me

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because every day of my life is precious

ReputationRep:
    yeah i've just started, i plan to write in it, not like everyday stuff but when i feel something important has happened in my life, even if no one else would think it that amazing, because i think its important to remember thoughts and feelings - i don't really plan on showing it to anyone, except maybe my wife one day when she won't leave me for being such a silly old sausage :p:

it'll be nice to look back in 60 years though and remember stuff like that and i love any form of writing i find it relaxing

something else i really want to do is to go on say a road trip around europe and keep a journal of it, actually i'll do that on any holiday i don't mind particularly when that happens, be it when i'm still young, or an old man looking for adventures when the kids have gone off to uni and me and the wife feel like it haha - wonder who this wife of mine is :p:

ReputationRep:
    I used to keep one fairly reguarly when I was 13/14 - and when I read it now I majorly cringe :o: Now I don't keep one so frequently, but I do occasionally. I also have a book, it's not so much a diary, but when I'm feeling upset/angry/frustrated I write things in it as a way of 'venting'. It's only random things though, not so much a diary!

ReputationRep:
    I try to, but always forget

ReputationRep:
    diaries are REALLY gimpy and pretentious in my opinion.

well... mines are.

Yeshh, I think it's fun :p: I have yearly diaries from 2002-2003, stopped for a year and then 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 - total of 4 diaries. I buy them from Finland though and because I didn't go there last year I couldn't buy one Though I do keep a blog, which is much easier as I don't have to write every day...

It's funny when I read the diary that I used to keep when I was 13... reading about the arguments I used to have with my best friend over trivial stuff :p:

It's just memories, reading your thoughts when you were younger :p: nothing to be embarrassed about

ReputationRep:
    Have done on and off for a few years. Its good to write regularly just to keep your writing voice sharp (which is important for pretty much any job you end up doing.)

But the main advantage is it slows down your thought processes and puts your ideas in order. So instead of **** flying around your head at 100mph - you write it down and youre forced to put it into a logical order. Which makes solving problems, setting goals, making decisions etc. much easier.

---
    Yeshh, I think it's fun I have yearly diaries from 2002-2003, stopped for a year and then 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 - total of 4 diaries. I buy them from Finland though and because I didn't go there last year I couldn't buy one Though I do keep a blog, which is much easier as I don't have to write every day...

It's funny when I read the diary that I used to keep when I was 13... reading about the arguments I used to have with my best friend over trivial stuff

It's just memories, reading your thoughts when you were younger nothing to be embarrassed about

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.