Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just been offered an interview at a law firm this week for a vacation scheme hopefully with a view to securing a training contract starting in 2012. However, I'm a non-law grad and so will need to complete both a GDL and LPC before then. The problem is that I haven’t had the funds to sign up to a GDL course and now I find out that the 'initial' deadline has passed yesterday for all GDL courses. What does that mean? If I do actually get a TC offer at one of the firms I've applied to, Im going to have to have secured a GDL place somewhere.

So does anyone know how much the initial fee is for GDL courses at the College of Law or BBP law school? And more importantly, is it already too late for me to apply now? And if not, when is the latest deadline in which you can apply? My dilemma is that if I'm unsuccessful in securing a TC before next September, I will have to withdraw from the GDL course due to lack of funds to pay for it.

Any help will be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I have a very similar problem but have heard stories of people signing up to do the GDL literally days before the course starts just because all the course providers really care about is if you have the money. Therefore I was going to wait until I (hopefully) get a training contract offer and then try to apply for a GDL. I'm not sure if this is the wisest plan though, so I wouldn't advise following this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkrockisfreedom)
    I have a very similar problem but have heard stories of people signing up to do the GDL literally days before the course starts just because all the course providers really care about is if you have the money.
    Very true. People on my course (GDL) signed up two days before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkrockisfreedom)
    Therefore I was going to wait until I (hopefully) get a training contract offer and then try to apply for a GDL. I'm not sure if this is the wisest plan though, so I wouldn't advise following this.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is so unlikely it isn't true.

There is more chance of pigs flying.

There are hundreds or thousands of people who have sucessfully completed a law degree/GDL and LPC and still can't get a TC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crux)
    The problem is that I haven’t had the funds to sign up to a GDL course and now I find out that the 'initial' deadline has passed yesterday for all GDL courses.
    You can apply now, it only costs a tenner or something. You don't have to pay a deposit/fees instalment for some time. Although the advice given by others i.e. that you can apply and sign up just a few days before the start of the course is correct.

(Original post by legaleagle87)
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is so unlikely it isn't true.

There is more chance of pigs flying.

There are hundreds or thousands of people who have sucessfully completed a law degree/GDL and LPC and still can't get a TC.
    Sorry, but this is certainly incorrect. Loads of non-law students get training contracts before they start the GDL (for the larger firms which run a 2+ years in advance of start date recruitment programme it is the 'correct' time to be getting your TC offer). I was in a similar position to the OP in that I would not have started the GDL myself if I hadn't managed to secure a TC beforehand. Having completed a law degree/GDL/LPC doesn't intrinsically make someone a better candidate either.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.