Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've been thinking about the situation about Paul and Rachel Chandler (the older couple who were kidnapped by pirates)

im really in two minds about..

from what ive gathered..

they were foolish enough to sail their yacht near somalia. i mean, those pirate must have thought they won the lottery by kidnapping an old white couple

but at the same time, i feel exceptionally sorry for them.. the lady has apparently mentally deteriorated

i hear the pirates want #4,000,000GBP for their release..

should the government pay??

ReputationRep:
    Nope, we've already pissed away enough money as it is on Haiti, i think the bank's running dry.

ReputationRep:
    No, it would act as an incentive for other kidnappers to target British people.

ReputationRep:
    i don't see why they just haven't sent in the SAS or Royal Marines and killed them, either that or drop them the money and when they release them send in the navy and blow them to hell and shoot them would make more sense and we get the money back its a win win situation

ReputationRep:
    When I first heard about it all I thought it was awful for the government to not pay, but I guess they can't set a precident for just paying out millions of pounds. I suppose it puts more people at risk because the pirates know what they can get from kidnapping someone.

I don't know why the money hasn't been raised by other sources though.

ReputationRep:
    No, but they do need to help them (obv.) its not as bad as when that journalist went into a known war zone, after being told not to, then ended up with a solider killed trying to rescue him.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. A life is a life. it's precious. But money is just something that gets us by and people in Britain live a priviedged life as it is

ReputationRep:
    The pirates made a video and Sky news managed to get their hands on it. The woman looks so ill, really skinny and apparently her mental state is bad too. I hope they are released soon, but I cant see the government paying the ransom as they have said they will not "negotiate with the pirates". I"m guessing it would be a different matter if it was someone important ( maybe an MP or something) that was being held by Somali pirates, I be the government would pay the ransom then.

ReputationRep:
    Like several others have said, if the goverment accept the pirates terms this time, it'll fuel them to kidnap others again if they know they will recieve lots of WONGA. It's unfortunate and sad, but i don't see the goverment paying out, especially with Haiti- the banks are running dry.

ReputationRep:
    I thought someone was willing to say for it but was stopped?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if it were me I would want the governemt to do something. Yet, they dont really act at all, same withe the Autistic man being held in America for hacking into the pentagon and the biopolar man who was executed in China for drug smugling. We'll wait and plead and Gordon Brown will do nothing - just the way it goes to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Purple)
    i've been thinking about the situation about Paul and Rachel Chandler (the older couple who were kidnapped by pirates)

im really in two minds about..

from what ive gathered..

they were foolish enough to sail their yacht near somalia. i mean, those pirate must have thought they won the lottery by kidnapping an old white couple

but at the same time, i feel exceptionally sorry for them.. the lady has apparently mentally deteriorated

i hear the pirates want #4,000,000GBP for their release..

should the government pay??
    Whether they were fools or not should not come into whether the ransom should be paid or not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R91)
    Yes, if it were me I would want the governemt to do something. Yet, they dont really act at all, same withe the Autistic man being held in America for hacking into the pentagon and the biopolar man who was executed in China for drug smugling. We'll wait and plead and Gordon Brown will do nothing - just the way it goes to be honest.
    If Gordon Brown pandered to the every whim of the constantly outraged British public we would be well and truly ******.

ReputationRep:
    No, pirates need to know that they won't profit from taking British hostages.

These pirates let a journalist and a doctor see her. They should just send James Bond disguised as a journalist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    i don't see why they just haven't sent in the SAS or Royal Marines and killed them, either that or drop them the money and when they release them send in the navy and blow them to hell and shoot them would make more sense and we get the money back its a win win situation
    They had the oppurtunity when they were first taken, the navy wanted desperately to send in a team, they had one ready to go, but Bob Ainsworth didn't have the balls to OK it so the oppurtunity passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    If Gordon Brown pandered to the every whim of the constantly outraged British public we would be well and truly ******.
    We would, I agree but in regards to the safety of it's people? We have full right to ask our country to support us when we are in need. We bailed out the banks, pay taxes, contribute to society - we deserve safety in return.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's dangerous to give the impression that they will give in and pay any time people are kidnapped. Like negotiating with terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    how much you reckon it costs to send the navy down there?

my bet is the weapons they will use and the fuel together will already cost the £4 million.

Then you might as well have paid in the first place.

But I agree with not paying coz it shows kidnapping is not a good business.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a bit wrong that the government can apparently afford to throw money at foreign countries, but can't help out two of its own citizens. But at the same time it would be wrong to give the impression that we will pay off anyone and everyone.

I feel very sorry for the couple, and the government should have done something about this months ago, anything! They could have sent in people, used resources to find out where they were etc....

ReputationRep:
    so..

YES:
    a life is a life
    what if it was you

NO:
    leaves others at risk of being kidnapped
    not enough money as it is

in the case of the autistic hacker (he went to my secondary school btw ;D) and the schizophrenic man, they actually had illnesses and i dont think they where truely responsible for their actions

the old couple in their right minds sailed near somalia even though the government is always warning people about sailing near places like that. its easy to think, what are the chance of that happening to me but theres actually a really strong chance! are their lives a reasonable price to pay for their mistake?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.