Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    These pirates let a journalist and a doctor see her. They should just send James Bond disguised as a journalist.
    Best idea yet. :o:

Like others, I think it sets a bad precedent. You'd like to have thought some other sources would have come up with something akin to that amount of money though. Shame. Hope a good outcome results.

ReputationRep:
    it would help fund them for future kidnappings. the only hope of the ransom being paid is if a part of the media is able to raise the funds required. considering the media is now another arm of the government this shouldnt be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    no its waaayyy too much and if we pay there ransom we would have to pay other ransoms of course its sad that they are gunna get killed
    this is gunna sound harsh but can we afford to dish out £4 million on 2 people

ReputationRep:
    I think we need to get some troops up there and kill these pirates.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell were they doing there in the first place. I'm sure if illegals were in the english channel, they would of been stopped and put in a cell. Don't really care what happens to them tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Money would be better sent sending the SAS out there to kill these *******.

ReputationRep:
    we havent paid up soo far and they are still alive soooo are they really going to kill them if they have waited this long :confused:
    Or is this what they usually do ?

ReputationRep:
    well if 4 million people gave a penny each its not so much huh?

Edit : i meant a pound...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    well if 4 million people gave a penny each its not so much huh?
    It's also not £4 million :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunate as it is for the couple, by not giving the pirates what they want, the government is sending a strong message that targeting British civilians is a waste of time.

(you do have to wonder what the hell those two were thinking by willingly sailing into that area after all the news coverage...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    It's also not £4 million :facepalm2:
    whoopsa daisy :o:

ReputationRep:
    tbh i think it should. the government is there to protect citizens, so yes, it should be paid if theres no other way to release them. then they should send in special forces and kill those mother *******

ReputationRep:
    RBS should lend them (the couple) the money secured agaisnt future earnings arising from the ordeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananacake14)
    Yes. A life is a life. it's precious. But money is just something that gets us by and people in Britain live a priviedged life as it is
    If they pay the ransom then it makes every british person in that part of the world a target and more precious lives will be ruined. It's a no brainer.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should keep a couple of somali asylum seekers hostage and threaten thekm with death and starve them. Then we could exchange them for the hostages.

We would kill two birds with one stone as we could get the hostages back and we would be rid of two soamli asylum seekers, thus reducing crime and the number of unwanted ethnic minorities in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    No. The government should never, ever pay for ransoms.
    Slipery slope that will lead to many kidnappings and many scams.
    If they pay many more will be taken for the £,£££,£££ sums of money.

ReputationRep:
    They should pay, get back the prisoners and then execute the pirates publicly :dry: Or the RAF could let me fly a fighter jet armed with missiles and I'll make it rain bombs on pirate hotspots :cool: that'll teach them.

ReputationRep:
    No the ransom should not be paid. We don't negotiate with terrorists so it should stand true for pirates too. Im sure they will be released or rescued soon enough. Yes it is bad, but at the end of the day they shouldnt have been there!

ReputationRep:
    This might sound cold, but £4 million is a lot of money and I'd expect that targeting it at other sectors of society could save a few more than 2 lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    If they pay the ransom then it makes every british person in that part of the world a target and more precious lives will be ruined. It's a no brainer.
    So if someone you loved was captured, would you want the government to pay?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.