Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should the ransom be paid?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    how much you reckon it costs to send the navy down there?

my bet is the weapons they will use and the fuel together will already cost the £4 million.

Then you might as well have paid in the first place.
    In this sense the cost is irrelivent. It wont cost £4m I wouldnt have thought, there are units ready to go 24/7, so the only direct cost would be the fuel for the flight plus any consumables used in the inevitable firefight. The main point is though that it would deter future pirates from kidnapping British citizens, if they knew the weight of the armed forces would be bought to bear upon them. No sensible pirates are going to take on a squad of SAS/SBS members tooled up to the nines.

I honestly fail to see why we cant use force, the action was an action of war under international law, their location is well known, and we have marines just offshore.

ReputationRep:
    i think they should, unless the government wants more blood on their hands than they already have. however it will probably only encourage the somali pirates to continue kidnapping as they know they will get the ransom paid. But I don't think that the government is really doing enough to try and rescue them.

(Original post by paddyman4)
    No, pirates need to know that they won't profit from taking British hostages.

These pirates let a journalist and a doctor see her. They should just send James Bond disguised as a journalist.
    Exactly why not just send one member of the SAS with a foldaway MP5 and a hand grenade, damnnn i'd feel sorry for them.

Have a few choppers just over the horizon with a chopper load and bingo.

ReputationRep:
    Send in the SBS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    i don't see why they just haven't sent in the SAS or Royal Marines and killed them, either that or drop them the money and when they release them send in the navy and blow them to hell and shoot them would make more sense and we get the money back its a win win situation
    :facepalm:

Thankfully you'll never be in charge of anything...

ReputationRep:
    Whilst paying the ransom would be the right thing to do, by paying the ransom it sets a precedent for 2 different scenarios. 1) Pirates will up the attacks as they know they will receive a pay out. 2) If the Government draws the line and says 'no more' there will be a backlash from the public as they have paid up before and therefore will be portrayed as the bad guys. It's a really difficult situation and I think the most likely strategy would be not to pay it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R91)
    We would, I agree but in regards to the safety of it's people? We have full right to ask our country to support us when we are in need. We bailed out the banks, pay taxes, contribute to society - we deserve safety in return.
    But by doing so you would endanger the lives of every Brit in that part of the world, the pirates will see UK citizens as a soft target and go after them specifically, so more people would be put in danger. Its the lesser of two evils.

And the govt is already investing a lot in trying to prevent pirate activity (in the form of regular RN patrols etc)

ReputationRep:
    4,4 mills? **** no... Just pay a bunch of afgans a few hundred bucks each and arm them to the teath for cheap ak47s and a few rpgs and let them fight it out. Then we can have a legitmite reason to blame them for something again.

ReputationRep:
    The pirates will most likely become desperate and lower the ransom money with the government ending up paying it. :rollseyes:

ReputationRep:
    I feel super sorry for the Chandlers. However, we really can't pay a ransom, because if we do, they'll kidnap more people once they know we'll pay up. And for that reason, I seriously doubt the goverment will pay it, even if it's substantially lowered. It would only encourage further kidnapping.
    I really hope the kidnappers give up trying to get a ransom and just realise them. The wife looked and sounded so upset and frail, it upset me to see her on TV. I can't imagine being in such a horrible situation.

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 things that can be done.

1) pay the ransom(not good idea)
    2) send in a special forces team(costly and they may be needed somewhere else more)
    3) sweep it all under the rug and think of them as having died when they were captured(not very nice but probably the cheapest and easiest way, wont cost more lives or endanger other travelers and wont cause political trouble)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    I feel super sorry for the Chandlers. However, we really can't pay a ransom, because if we do, they'll kidnap more people once they know we'll pay up. And for that reason, I seriously doubt the goverment will pay it, even if it's substantially lowered. It would only encourage further kidnapping.
    I really hope the kidnappers give up trying to get a ransom and just realise them. The wife looked and sounded so upset and frail, it upset me to see her on TV. I can't imagine being in such a horrible situation.
    Unlikely, the kidnappers have kept them for months(albeit not well) so i doubt after going for all that trouble they will release them, they will either get payed or kill them.

If i was the kidnapper and they didn't pay i would kill them as an example of what happens when people don't pay otherwise if they ever kidnap again their bluffs would be called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    Unlikely, the kidnappers have kept them for months(albeit not well) so i doubt after going for all that trouble they will release them, they will either get payed or kill them.

If i was the kidnapper and they didn't pay i would kill them as an example of what happens when people don't pay otherwise if they ever kidnap again their bluffs would be called.
    yeah, like i said, I hope they do, but it's unlikely.

F'kn nuke 'em!!!!111 :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hay.hay)
    When I first heard about it all I thought it was awful for the government to not pay, but I guess they can't set a precident for just paying out millions of pounds. I suppose it puts more people at risk because the pirates know what they can get from kidnapping someone.

I don't know why the money hasn't been raised by other sources though.
    That sets just as much precedent, the kidnappers would still get their money. So long as no one pays the precedent wont be set but if anyone pays it will happen more often.

Personally i think they should either ignore it or send in the sas or something.

Personally it would be more hardline to pronounce them dead and bomb the ***** if that doesn't act as a detterent n othing will.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid people for sailing in pirate infested waters. What did they expect? It reminds me of those sailors who captured for sailing into Iranian waters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtiesto)
    What the hell were they doing there in the first place. I'm sure if illegals were in the english channel, they would of been stopped and put in a cell. Don't really care what happens to them tbh!
    They were sailing near tanzania. They got capturated. They didn't want to go to somalia.

(Original post by Casse)
    Stupid people for sailing in pirate infested waters. What did they expect? It reminds me of those sailors who captured for sailing into Iranian waters.
    Or so Iran claimed. Irrrrannnnnnnnnnn..........

ReputationRep:
    To all those saying they were silly to sail there, you might want to take a look at where they were kidnapped? The Seychelles to Tanzania route they were sailing was very low risk with barely any reported piracy...this couple were just very unlucky. It's not as if they got snatched off the Gulf of Aden.

Look - Seychelles to Tanzania. Very few reported cases of piracy in '08. The level shown is pretty much in line with any of the waters anywhere around Asia or Africa...you'd be more likely to see pirates around Singapore, but nobody would claim you were an idiot for sailing around that area.

People keep saying 'avoid the pirate areas'. Have you looked at a map lately? Avoiding all known pirate areas is not practical any more, as demonstrated by this latest case. They're working further and further offshore and getting more desperate. Pirates are around 700 miles offshore in little fishing vessels. That's practically suicide in those craft.

Basically, unless you go round the Cape of Good Hope and add 5000 miles and two months to your Asia-Europe expedition, you need to use the Suez. Can't get to the Suez without passing uncomfortably close to Somalia. It's cheaper for the shipping companies to pay the ransom than change the route.

Should we pay the ransom? No, because that's a very short term solution and does nothing to dissuade. It's come to the stage now where we need to put the Chandlers' lives at risk, in order to potentially save them. Send the SBS in, all guns blazing and show no mercy - kill the pirates in cold blood even if they surrender. It's not as if we'll damage international relations or be held to account by Somalia's government...

ReputationRep:
    To the people suggesting a special forces operation: it's already been tried and it had to be aborted for some reason or another.

Besides anything else, though, what the hell were they doing sailing there alone with no weapons or protection of any other kind? As callous as it sounds to say it, they were pretty much asking for it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.