Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    In this sense the cost is irrelivent. It wont cost £4m I wouldnt have thought, there are units ready to go 24/7, so the only direct cost would be the fuel for the flight plus any consumables used in the inevitable firefight. The main point is though that it would deter future pirates from kidnapping British citizens, if they knew the weight of the armed forces would be bought to bear upon them. No sensible pirates are going to take on a squad of SAS/SBS members tooled up to the nines.

I honestly fail to see why we cant use force, the action was an action of war under international law, their location is well known, and we have marines just offshore.
    To be fair, these pirates are less dangerous than Al-Shabab. This is because they have treated their hostages fed them, also any time they are caught they surrender quickly. If it was Al-shabab they really wouldn't care, they might even go as far as to not fed them at all and kill if demand is not met in 48hours. If these pirates feel threatened to much then they will surely work with Al-shabab and I can assure these guys don't think twice about killing someone.

Here is some of their work: (Contains Disturbing Images)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.bestgore.com/beheading/al-shabab-valentines-day-beheading-mansuur-mohammed-video/

They have also revealed today that they are starting to work with Al-Qadea. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8491329.stm)

So, if you want a full-blown war like Afghanistan and Iraq, which will cost more than £4million, go ahead send in the troops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Exactly why not just send one member of the SAS with a foldaway MP5 and a hand grenade, damnnn i'd feel sorry for them.

Have a few choppers just over the horizon with a chopper load and bingo.
    Sounds familar... Black hawk down:confused: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Obviously if it was me I would want it to be paid, but doing so will only endanger other people.

What on earth were they doing sailing near Somalia in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    To the people suggesting a special forces operation: it's already been tried and it had to be aborted for some reason or another.

Besides anything else, though, what the hell were they doing sailing there alone with no weapons or protection of any other kind? As callous as it sounds to say it, they were pretty much asking for it.
    We need another special forces operation. The last one was abandoned because the chaps calling the shots back in London (predictably) pussied out. Logistically, it was possible.

Look at the map I posted! They weren't asking for it at all. Where they were sailing was not considered (and still is not considered) anything like a high risk area. If they were in the Gulf of Aden, then I'd agree, but look at where they actually were.

(Original post by tinywings)
    What on earth were they doing sailing near Somalia in the first place?

Aggghh! You obviously have no idea where they were snatched. Around 700 miles off Somalia. Nowhere near to high risk areas. Besides, it's not as if people sail near Somalia for fun - the Suez canal makes it a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Aggghh! You obviously have no idea where they were snatched. Around 700 miles off Somalia. Nowhere near to high risk areas. Besides, it's not as if people sail near Somalia for fun - the Suez canal makes it a necessity.
    That's exactly what I said. People are just going to comment even more saying what the hell where they doing near Somalia. It inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    The UK government never pays ransoms and I agree with them. It only encourages more.
    Silly pirates, bet they wished it was an old French couple.

And yes they were very foolish for sailing in a dangerous area, the ocean is a massive area, why didn't they choose another bit of water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Purple)
    i've been thinking about the situation about Paul and Rachel Chandler (the older couple who were kidnapped by pirates)

im really in two minds about..

from what ive gathered..

they were foolish enough to sail their yacht near somalia. i mean, those pirate must have thought they won the lottery by kidnapping an old white couple

but at the same time, i feel exceptionally sorry for them.. the lady has apparently mentally deteriorated

i hear the pirates want #4,000,000GBP for their release..

should the government pay??
    I'd rather they used half the money shooting the pirates... Should send out a strong message.

It's like the 4 guys in Iraq where only one survived, they knew where they were and ******* London canceled the SAS going in because it was too unsafe. ITS THE ******* SAS, THEY SERVE 200 MILES BEHIND ENEMY LINES, un ******* safeee??

Can you imagine Maggie doing that for the Iranian embassy siege, our country has no back bone now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil)
    And yes they were very foolish for sailing in a dangerous area, the ocean is a massive area, why didn't they choose another bit of water?
    I give up. Why do people who don't even have the basic facts continue to comment?

- Wasn't dangerous water. Look at the map I posted at end of page 3.

- Very little history of piracy where they were snatched. Route was and is still statistically pretty much pirate free

- Every person sailing off the North coast of Australia is at the same sort of risk the Chandlers were

- They were around 700 bloody miles from Somalia

- Even if they were going near to Somalia to get home (which they weren't) then what other bit of water would you suggest as an alternative to the Suez? Personally, I'd still chance the pirate infested Gulf of Aden/Suez over the incredibly slow, stormy and downright treacherous 5000 mile, two month diversion that is the Cape of Good Hope.

Facts people! Let's start dealing in facts here!

ReputationRep:
    It's like the 4 guys in Iraq where only one survived, they knew where they were and ******* London canceled the SAS going in because it was too unsafe. ITS THE ******* SAS, THEY SERVE 200 MILES BEHIND ENEMY LINES, un ******* safeee??

Can you imagine Maggie doing that for the Iranian embassy siege, our country has no back bone now.
    To be fair, these pirates are less dangerous than Al-Shabab. This is because they have treated their hostages fed them, also any time they are caught they surrender quickly. If it was Al-shabab they really wouldn't care, they might even go as far as to not fed them at all and kill if demand is not met in 48hours. If these pirates feel threatened to much then they will surely work with Al-shabab and I can assure these guys don't think twice about killing someone.

Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.bestgore.com/beheading/al-shabab-valentines-day-beheading-mansuur-mohammed-video/

They have also revealed today that they are starting to work with Al-Qadea. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8491329.stm)

So, if you want a full-blown war like Afghanistan and Iraq, which will cost more than £4million, go ahead send in the troops.

(Original post by jonjon123)

Spoiler:
    Show

What war?

You send them in, get them out and **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Purple)
    i've been thinking about the situation about Paul and Rachel Chandler (the older couple who were kidnapped by pirates)

im really in two minds about..

from what ive gathered..

they were foolish enough to sail their yacht near somalia. i mean, those pirate must have thought they won the lottery by kidnapping an old white couple

but at the same time, i feel exceptionally sorry for them.. the lady has apparently mentally deteriorated

i hear the pirates want #4,000,000GBP for their release..

should the government pay??

send in the SAS - shoot to kill

ReputationRep:
    What war?

HAHAHA. You funny. If you try this then it's over for the Somali’s but I can assure there will be lives lost for you guys The Al-shabab militant, along with the pirates and Al-Qadea is basically another Afghanistan and Iraq. Even if you decide to do that and leave, they will do something outrageous to get your attention, then start a full blow war.

(Original post by jonjon123)
    HAHAHA. You funny. If you try this then it's over for the Somali’s but I can assure there will be lives lost for you guys The Al-shabab militant, along with the pirates and Al-Qadea is basically another Afghanistan and Iraq. Even if you decide to do that and leave, they will do something outrageous to get your attention, then start a full blow war.
    You can't start a war with people not in your country.

The SAS would be long gone back to Britain before they got any kind of force that could overpower them.

A few nutters wearing scarves and waving ak's isn't going to scare them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    yeah, like i said, I hope they do, but it's unlikely.
    Yea, i can easily be mercenary with life if it isntmine at stake but i wouldn't be recommending the same course of action if i was in danger.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think if the government pays it could cause more kidnappings as the pirates know they will get what they want. You are right they were stupid sailing there! we dont have enough money to spend paying out ransoms anymore!

ReputationRep:

The SAS would be long gone back to Britain before they got any kind of force that could overpower them.

Agree with this entirely.

We already have the people in position, London just needs to grow some balls and give the go ahead. SBS/SAS could have the job done in a half hour.

There would be absolutely zero retaliation by the Somalis/terrorist groups. They have wooden fishing vessels with twenty year old, 50hp outboards on the back. They're not going to worry the SBS too much.

It's not as if we're going to be troubled by a country which can't defend its own fish stocks, permitted 10 million tons of toxic waste to be dumped on its shore and recently went through a civil war. To compare to Afghanistan/Iraq is ludicrous.

It might risk the Chandlers' lives, but as I see it, the following is the most sensible option now:

SAS/SBS in, blow up everything which looks remotely hostile, show absolutely zero mercy to pirates regardless of surrender, attempt rescue, back home for tea and medals. Job done!

ReputationRep:
    What war?

This isn't playstation game you know
    Government doesn't really want to send out the message don't worry at pirates killing you we will send in our troops and they will do it for them
    Also, why is everyone assuming if they meet the demands their will be a wave of more hostages, you think pirates just relax and don't try to kidnap all potential hostages and they won't say no not the french boat lets go to the British one over there like a shop
    Governments should send the message that they will help to protect citizens instead of thinking of their policies plus it's like giving aid to a third world country in a way the majority is never seen and sent to the boss

(Original post by Anoneemous)
    This isn't playstation game you know
    Government doesn't really want to send out the message don't worry at pirates killing you we will send in our troops and they will do it for them
    Also, why is everyone assuming if they meet the demands their will be a wave of more hostages, you think pirates just relax and don't try to kidnap all potential hostages and they won't say no not the french boat lets go to the British one over there like a shop
    Governments should send the message that they will help to protect citizens instead of thinking of their policies plus it's like giving aid to a third world country in a way the majority is never seen and sent to the boss
    No it's not, the SAS/SBS are better at it in real life than I am on a console.

Erm the soldiers rescue the hostages you numpty. Things can **** up, but the last time they pussied out, 75% ended up dead anyway.

Yes they have a brain, they won't take someone hostage they don't think they will get money for. But if they can they will.

ReputationRep:

That's what you think. These guys's are not dumb. I mean they’re not even likely to kill them. These guys's are "soft". Look:
    (Original post by telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/7129721/Paul-and-Rachel-Chandler-British-government-blocked-Somali-ransom-talks.html)
    He said that while the pirates were unlikely to harm the couple, they could be abandoned in Somalia where they could be at the mercy of other dangerous groups.
    But, if you provoke them, then there will be war. This is because they will somehow get your attention. They might even send a guy to Britain to blow himself up, but they will get the British authorities attention and leave them no option but to start war. This war would include most of the fighter in Somalia and Al-Qadea which is about 100,000 warlords in Somalia at the moment this is a estimate there could be as many as 500,000. Also, it might include the extreme European/ Asian Muslims such as the number of European/Asian Muslims that fought in Bosnia. They will find a way to radical these youths and then another war. Can you really operate three different wars at the same time?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.