Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If it was an American couple they'd have been freed by now - American would have probably declared war on Somali.

The government wastes so much money 'protecting it's citizens' from themselves (eat healthy campaigns etc) yet when someone is in real danger they won't pay a paltry amount.

The amount the government spends on our armed forces, they should be ready to save some people.

The message with regards to pirates should be, if you **** with us, we will kill you. Or we will get the people you have kidnapped back, then we will kidnap you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1990)
    no they are old biddies and have lived their lives already, also they were dumb enough to go sailing near somalia, so it is their own fault.
    that actually made me LOL. love if it that was the official line of response to the pirates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    That sets just as much precedent, the kidnappers would still get their money. So long as no one pays the precedent wont be set but if anyone pays it will happen more often.

Personally i think they should either ignore it or send in the sas or something.

Personally it would be more hardline to pronounce them dead and bomb the ***** if that doesn't act as a detterent n othing will.

Oh I know, I'm not saying someone else should have given the money, just that I'm suprised that someone hasn't if that makes sense!

I mean obviously not everyone will agree with/understand the governments point of view on it.

ReputationRep:
    Ransoms should NEVER be paid. Paying them only encourages them to commit more piracy.

Yes refusal would lead to more deaths in coming years but eventually when piracy doesnt pay, they will give up and move onto another form of crime.

Same with terrorism, never negotiate with them. plus half the extremist nutjobs dont want to negotiate, they are just fixed on thier target and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    Yes refusal would lead to more deaths in coming years but eventually when piracy doesnt pay, they will give up and move onto another form of crime.
    I imagine they'll soon learn that hijacking commercial vessels pays, but hijacking leisure vessels doesn't.

Realistically, commercial vessels will almost always pay eventually, as the pirate demands are nothing compared to the cargo value. Plus, the commercial companies are insured and can't really take any other route other than the Suez (thus passing near to Somalia). In fact, despite all these attacks, commercial shipping insurance premiums have barely risen, as statistically hijacking is still very unlikely.

The only way this piracy is going to stop is if shipping companies pay for armed private security forces on all of their boats and shoot the pirates on sight. But, security firms are expensive and the problem will have to get much worse before that becomes cost effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    The only way this piracy is going to stop is if shipping companies pay for armed private security forces on all of their boats and shoot the pirates on sight. But, security firms are expensive and the problem will have to get much worse before that becomes cost effective.
    Sadly international maritime laws make it very hard to practically have armed mercenarys on cargo ships. Has a multitude of complications!! Ive looked into this with a security company and a few ex forces guys when i left forces. its just not doable at present due to the various legal aspects!!

I do think more aggressive patrolling including close to shore patrols within territorial waters would help. Sod it if Somalia doesnt agree, they dont have an effective government let alone a navy!!

This is the joke commander of the somali navy!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8096137.stm
    :woo: :woo: :woo:

send in some allied warships and following a bit of intel gathering, the somalian coast line would make GREAT target practice for some NGS!! Shell the pirates bases while your there. Theyd get the message then!!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.