Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    well I have booked flights on Monday 15th Feb to Belfast city from Gatwick, but I am in a bit of a pickle with transport... What I think I will do is get the train from Belfast to Portrush (since this is where everything 'goes on' I have been told) and stay at a B&B the night there. Then the next day, Tuesday, I will go see Coleraine and the campus (not sure if there are buses?) and then get the train from Coleraine to Belfast and stay the second night in Belfast. The translink website for travel is pretty confusing to me. Can anyone give me tips on the trains/buses/hotels or B&B's? Also, how much do taxi's cost since I think I'll have to get one from Port-rush to Coleraine.

Sorry if I sound like a noob it's just I am a bit anxious, never been to Ireland before and I am coming on my own, first really independant trip I've been on (I'm 17)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, When you arrive in Belfast City Airport you will be able to get an airport bus (costs £2) which will take you into Belfast City Centre. You can get off the bus at Europa Bus Centre which is right beside Great Victoria Street Station where you will be able to get the train directly to Coleraine. (Get the train times before you arrive) (There is no train directly to Portrush, you would have to make a connection at Coleraine). Portrush is very quiet at this time of year and I suggest you stay the night in Coleraine. You could stay at the Lodge Hotel which is 0.5 miles from the train station (£55) (google this hotel to get telephone no). There is also a Premier Inn in Coleraine which is 1.5 miles from the station. If you arrive early enough in the day you can quite easily get a bus or train to Portrush if you so wish. There are quite frequent buses / trains to the University Campus also. For your night in Belfast I suggest you stay at Jury's Inn which is very close to the Europa Bus Station / train station and also the City Centre. It will cost £64 for the night (use 1800 hotels website). www.tripadvisor.uk forum gives very good information re hotels, transport etc. Perhaps you could encourage a friend to come along with you as I am sure you would enjoy the experience better. An extra person won't make any difference to the price you pay for your accommodation. Sorry I don't know about taxi prices. Hope this has been of a little help and I wish you a good trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violet15)
    Hi, When you arrive in Belfast City Airport you will be able to get an airport bus (costs £2) which will take you into Belfast City Centre. You can get off the bus at Europa Bus Centre which is right beside Great Victoria Street Station where you will be able to get the train directly to Coleraine. (Get the train times before you arrive) (There is no train directly to Portrush, you would have to make a connection at Coleraine). Portrush is very quiet at this time of year and I suggest you stay the night in Coleraine. You could stay at the Lodge Hotel which is 0.5 miles from the train station (£55) (google this hotel to get telephone no). There is also a Premier Inn in Coleraine which is 1.5 miles from the station. If you arrive early enough in the day you can quite easily get a bus or train to Portrush if you so wish. There are quite frequent buses / trains to the University Campus also. For your night in Belfast I suggest you stay at Jury's Inn which is very close to the Europa Bus Station / train station and also the City Centre. It will cost £64 for the night (use 1800 hotels website). www.tripadvisor.uk forum gives very good information re hotels, transport etc. Perhaps you could encourage a friend to come along with you as I am sure you would enjoy the experience better. An extra person won't make any difference to the price you pay for your accommodation. Sorry I don't know about taxi prices. Hope this has been of a little help and I wish you a good trip.
    thanks for the tips
    i wish i could bring another person but my family is busy and i've already booked the flights. I am going to be meeting a friend I know from there though at some point the point of me going on my own is that if I do decide Ulster as my firm, I'm going to be on my own because noone I know applied there. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Glad you're coming to visit - I find UUC to be a great campus, I'm sure you will too.
    If you're going to stay in Coleraine (I reccommend this as it will be cheaper than a B&B in Portstewart) you could try the Carnadoon Guest House on Portstewart Rd - it's less than a minute's walk to campus and will give you an opportunity to look around the local area & high st too. Plus, taxis are only around £2.50 between anywhere in the Triangle (Portstewart, Portrush, Coleraine area) so if you fancy going out it's not going to cost you lots.
    If you fancy another Londoner's perspective on what it's like over here, feel free to message me.
    I hope you enjoy your trip! Any problems, get in touch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NarcoticGlitter)
    Hey
    Glad you're coming to visit - I find UUC to be a great campus, I'm sure you will too.
    If you're going to stay in Coleraine (I reccommend this as it will be cheaper than a B&B in Portstewart) you could try the Carnadoon Guest House on Portstewart Rd - it's less than a minute's walk to campus and will give you an opportunity to look around the local area & high st too. Plus, taxis are only around £2.50 between anywhere in the Triangle (Portstewart, Portrush, Coleraine area) so if you fancy going out it's not going to cost you lots.
    If you fancy another Londoner's perspective on what it's like over here, feel free to message me.
    I hope you enjoy your trip! Any problems, get in touch!
    thanks, i did enjoy the trip (was in feb) and i did stay at Carnadoon the first night ^_^ but i don't think i'll be going to the uni -too far from home.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.