Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The orginal sentence was:

"One the east way of the town, the prince rides carelessly towards the castle, the horse's breath matching that of his own, like beast like man, charging through the wilderness and forest to reach his beloved."

I have to change this to past tense but am not sure if I have to change the phrase "charging throught the wilderness". I know charging is a verb but if you read the whole sentence in the past that bit just doesn't seem right or is it just me?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is that first word meant to be "one"?

"One the east way of the town, the prince rode carelessly towards the castle, the horses breath matched that of his own, like beast like man, charged through the wilderness and forrest to reach his beloved"

i think

ReputationRep:
    you would have to put a pro-noun beforehand to make it flow better... "he charged through the wilderness" therefore

ReputationRep:
    East side in the town, the hood star rides his whip to his yard, the whip making bare noise like him, bare loud, going through some waste endz to hit his ard yard.

HOPE THIS HELPS

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have to change it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by melonhead12)
    The orginal sentence was:

"One the east way of the town, the prince rides carelessly towards the castle, the horse's breath matching that of his own, like beast like man, charging through the wilderness and forest to reach his beloved."

I have to change this to past tense but am not sure if I have to change the phrase "charging throught the wilderness". I know charging is a verb but if you read the whole sentence in the past that bit just doesn't seem right or is it just me?
    Thanks
    It's just you. The 'charging' bit doesn't change.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to change it, but you could, as people have suggested above. Since "charging" and "matching" are descriptive words as well as verbs you could just leave them as they are.

ReputationRep:
    Only need to change the word "rides" - the rest are describing continuous action, and hence do not need to be put into a tense. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers dudes, very greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melonhead12)
    Cheers dudes, very greatly appreciated!
    NO PROBS

ReputationRep:
    As lots have said, because charging and matching are non-finite verbs, they can be used descriptively - so you don't need to change them to make the sentence past tense:

"One the east way of the town, the prince rode carelessly towards the castle, the horse's breath matching that of his own, like beast like man, charging through the wilderness and forest to reach his beloved."

^Also is it possible you mean "on" instead of "one" or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by invis)
    As lots have said, because charging and matching are non-finite verbs, they can be used descriptively - so you don't need to change them to make the sentence past tense:

"One the east way of the town, the prince rode carelessly towards the castle, the horse's breath matching that of his own, like beast like man, charging through the wilderness and forest to reach his beloved."

^Also is it possible you mean "on" instead of "one" or something?
    That's exactly the way I had it in my head, and yes I did mean "On" lol. Positve rep coming your way!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.