Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right heres the problem, I have to fully decide my A levels in a few days and am completely torn between two combinations of subjects to take?
    Im really interested in studying Law (pretty much have my sites set on it) so any one who knows anything about it and can help me choose which would be the best for a Law degree please can you give me some advice? Thanks

Its either:

English Lit, Geog, Chemistry, Physcology

Or

English Lit, Geog, Biology, Sociology

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether you intend on keeping all 4 or dropping one
    At my school you drop a subject unless you request that you are not and are aceing them all

I do English lit
    did Bio (and the pointlessness of the qus annoyed me to the extent I quit)... did consider doing chemistry instead and whilst biology is a better reflection of my personality, I like the logics of chemistry and regret not choosing chem.... it makes a nice break from the more writing/theoretical choice

Psychology is generally considered stronger than sociology these days, and though sociology interested me in theory, I would say you are more free studying Psychology

Im also interested in law and whilst the second one seems simpler, they are similar enough that if you drop one you keep the same balance you had, from experience I would probably choose the first combination - as it gives YOU a break from always doing the same things, as someone with a legal mind the biology exams will frustrate you (and chem will show your logical ability) Psychology over sociology tbh and then you have 4 subjects which are interesting and humanity based, yet also reflect your ability to handle intricate facts and formulas.... you see the wider picture and the details in one

Totally your choice, you have english lit something people/mind based and 2 world/science subjects (which presumably you enjoy!)

Interestingly enough, out of those who take geography, equal numbers take bio versus chem!

But in the end, if you have the skill, it wont matter so much (you have eng lit!)

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend the first combination, but really think that you need to have more essay-based subjects, such as History or Religious Studies. As Law is a highly competitive field, it is important to pick courses that give you the best chance of demonstrating relevent skills.

It is also bearing in mind that both Sociology and Phychology are sometimes regarded as being less academic by some Universities.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the second one, but I always say go with which you more enjoy- most of the oxbridge applicants/medics are starting to say they wished they'd taken subjects they'd enjoyed because A*A*A* would look better than ABC...

And I just have to say, I'm assuming putting 'site' instead of 'sights' was an easy mistake- one of those silly things :P

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

I would say have a look at specific uni's already and get a flavour for what they require or look for in a candidate.

Option one I would say. But I would also agree another essay subject/anaysis subject would be nice. If your college does Human Biology, i could reccomend that as it has an emphesis on case study work and investigative skills. Geo and Hist are normally interchangable subjects and i would suggest a swap there would be nice. But a lot of the time its just jumping hoops, if you can get better grades in a subject then often that would be better.

Bringing it back to the top tho, looking at uni's helps as some say things like... you must have certain subjects for certain uni's, alot pretty much ignor points system and have very specific requirements. hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauradmxx)
    Right heres the problem, I have to fully decide my A levels in a few days and am completely torn between two combinations of subjects to take?
    Im really interested in studying Law (pretty much have my sites set on it) so any one who knows anything about it and can help me choose which would be the best for a Law degree please can you give me some advice? Thanks

Its either:

English Lit, Geog, Chemistry, Physcology

Or

English Lit, Geog, Biology, Sociology

Well, you have to understand that law is an essay based degree as opposed to a scientific degree..

If you really want to study law you need at least 2 traditional essay based subjects, I suggest you need to do History (as well as Eng Lit) in order to be successful in your University application..

Both His and Lit complement each other really well, and if you master one the other will follow..

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.