Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, when do people typically make their subject choices for Higher? My standard grades are in May and I was just wondering if the school will make me pick my Highers before I get the results for the SG exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quintro)
    Hey guys, when do people typically make their subject choices for Higher? My standard grades are in May and I was just wondering if the school will make me pick my Highers before I get the results for the SG exams?
    We're doing ours next week. It shouldn't be long.

ReputationRep:
    Same we just got our mock forms, then we get an options interview, then the final forms.

What you hoping to take?

ReputationRep:
    You will most likely have to pick before you even sit your SGs, but you can change your subjects after you get your results (if you get better or worse than expected in some subjects)...well you could in my school anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    Normally march. Don't rush your decision though, and DO NOT base it on standard grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibbogersfan)
    Same we just got our mock forms, then we get an options interview, then the final forms.

What you hoping to take?
    Hopefully Graphics, Maths, Chemistry, Human Biology, English..

What are you picking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Normally march. Don't rush your decision though, and DO NOT base it on standard grade.
    Theres nothing else for me to base it on really though. I'm just picking the subjects I enjoy and find interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Theres nothing else for me to base it on really though. I'm just picking the subjects I enjoy and find interesting.
    That's what I mean, too many people pick highers because they found the standard grade easy peasy.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Graphics, Maths, Chemistry, Human Biology, English..

What are you picking?
    Im doing Higher English, Maths, Chemistry, Human Bio, and either Physics or History

Cant decide ^ :/ lol

ReputationRep:
    Nice, pretty much the same as me then. I'm doing Physics in 5th year as I think it would be tough doing 3 sciences for Higher. Are you staying on to 6th year?

ReputationRep:
    Nice, pretty much the same as me then. I'm doing Physics in 5th year as I think it would be tough doing 3 sciences for Higher. Are you staying on to 6th year?
    do u mean ur doing physics in 6th year? lol

Well I've never done physics before but I've been told as long as I get a 1 in SG maths I can take it next year. So I would be crashing it, that's why I'm not sure whether to take it or not

ReputationRep:
    Yea I mean 6th year ha!

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably do bio and chem in fifth year, then do physics in S6. I'm hoping to crash it next year (S6).

Plus, history gives you a wee change from the sciences :p:

But, it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Higher English, Maths, Chemistry, Human Bio, and either Physics or History

Cant decide ^ :/ lol
    Human Bio and Chem are really good highers! Human Bio is quite easy and interesting, but a reaaaallllllyyyyy big course with huge amounts of information to take in. Chemistry is quite simple if you see past all the complex concepts and master the tricky exam questions. English and Maths are just horrible :p: but you DO need them.

If you can't decide, then think: "Do I want to stick to sciency based subjects this year and do some arts/humanities next year or should I have a balance?" If you're crashing then you'll have quite a task on your hands! :p:

Good luck with your choices

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.