Turn on thread page Beta

Would I be unreasonable to dump my boyfriend over this? watch

ReputationRep:
    yup deffo would be why take his past into account when hes perfect now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    :hmmm:
    :hmmm:

Well, he's a Physicist too, and my magic number is a lot more than his :ninja:
    Where do these hypersexual physicists hide? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    It is not a problem if you trust him.

If you cannot help that it is bothering you and if you think it will keep bothering you, then it seems that you don't trust him very much, which is not a good basis for a relationship. (That said, most relationships will have some flaws and probably not absolute, complete trust, but a basic level of trust is pretty vital.)

You would be unreasonable to dump him for it (maybe bret would like to say something about that though) IF you think you will get over it eventually. It would be reasonable to talk to him about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchkin88)
    In the past I never would have considered getting serious with someone who had such a "laddish" reputation, but do you think it would be silly to end it over what's in the past?
    The question should have been.. "Should I go out with a guy whose previously had this reputation?"

Now your going out with him youve already made the decision to say yes when you could have avoided him like the plague
    Which means you are immature to dump him for NO REASON
    Because it IS no reason! Your already going out with him... but if you want to end it, dont say its because of his reputation as that would be a lie!

Perhaps it might be because you are sick of everyone joking with him about his laddish ways, or thinking hes what hes not
    If so, then its not what he did thats the problem, its the situation now, so you cant actually hold his past against him like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Never judge someone on what they've done, but who they are.

P.S, theres nothing wrong with sex in cars.
    Exactly this. :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You're dating him NOW, so what he has done before doesn't matter.
    His past has made him the person he is now

ReputationRep:
    hmmm...try this one: "my boyfriend was a homicidal maniac, but he hasn't killed anyone for 3 years so I shouldn't judge him on his past righttttt?"

Seriously. What goes on in some of your brains? A person's past is what has shaped them to be who they are in the present. If you can be sufficiently certain that someone has changed then fine in this case, but coming out with claims like "you shouldn't judge people on their past" is just plain stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    hmmm...try this one: "my boyfriend was a homicidal maniac, but he hasn't killed anyone for 3 years so I shouldn't judge him on his past righttttt?"

Seriously. What goes on in some of your brains? A person's past is what has shaped them to be who they are in the present. If you can be sufficiently certain that someone has changed then fine in this case, but coming out with claims like "you shouldn't judge people on their past" is just plain stupidity.
    Are you seriously comparing not always sleeping with somebody whilst in a relationship with them and being a homicidal maniac?!

Being a murderer will quite probably mean that there is something psychologically wrong with him - and, let's face it, it's illegal. If somebody has slept with a few people before, it doesn't mean that the guy is some big awful boyfriend who deserves to be dumped for actions that have happened way before the girlfriend met him.

I thought your a guy :confused:, unless your gay

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're with him for the person he is now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Are you seriously comparing not always sleeping with somebody whilst in a relationship with them and being a homicidal maniac?!

Being a murderer will quite probably mean that there is something psychologically wrong with him - and, let's face it, it's illegal. If somebody has slept with a few people before, it doesn't mean that the guy is some big awful boyfriend who deserves to be dumped for actions that have happened way before the girlfriend met him.
    Are you seriously missing the point of me using ad absurdum logic in the first place? Why, yes - even though I said it explicitly in the last sentence of my post which you quoted. Curious Oh wells.

ReputationRep:
    most guys are like that when their young. they all sleep around have fun when there single, but as soon as they fall in love they change. every girl would love to change a guy like that. your lucky. and if hes in love with you why does it matter about his past?

ReputationRep:
    He sounds great. Don't hold his past against him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harleygrant)
    He sounds great. Don't hold his past against him.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been together? (Sorry if you've already said, couldn't be bothered reading through t'other posts.)

I've been with my bf for a year, and at first I was really wary because he's been 'around the block' and I really haven't... he's a bit of a serial monogamist, hardly ever single, which made me feel like 'just another girlfriend' - especially when he'd introduce me to friends and family. I was sure they were thinking, 'ahh another one, wonder how long this will last?' I sort of felt jealous of him too, because before him I was living in the worst sex/love drought EVER.

I got over it eventually and things are peachy now. Sometimes, it's better for them to have got it out of their systems. Plus, if he's always been single but he's chosen to be with you, that must mean you're pretty special, right?

I know exactly how you feel though.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a reason to not go out with him in the first place, but not to dump him.

ReputationRep:
    You ass, i would give you even more negative rep if i knew how.

ReputationRep:
    OMG SEX IN CARS :zomg:

Seriously, you say he'd never cheat so what makes his past a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)

P.S, theres nothing wrong with sex in cars.
    This

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.