Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Should I take Economics at Higher level when I pick my subjects? I did not do it at Standard Grade - in fact I've never done it - but I do have a bit of basic knowledge of economics from elsewhere. I'm also not planning on taking Maths next year, and I guess Economics would go in place of it.

The thing is, if I take it at Int 1 or 2, then when I do Higher, will universities accept that, as they say that all Highers have to be done in one sitting, don't they?

Please respond, subject choices are next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    The thing is, if I take it at Int 1 or 2, then when I do Higher, will universities accept that, as they say that all Highers have to be done in one sitting, don't they?
    I think that this is mainly aimed at averting people sitting the same subject again and again in an attempt to improve their grade. You still have a single sitting of each Higher, it's just that they were spread over a couple years.

In any case, I don't think you'd have any problem crashing Higher. I did Int 2, and the majority of the content was common sense. What you would be missing out on is a) how to approach answering the questions and b) a few of the bits of terminology.

The stuff that's actually applicable is largely common knowledge that you can pick up from watching the news attentively - how interest rates and inflation are linked, how wealth is produced, fractional reserve banking, the effects of exchange rate on trade, the various ways of restricting trade, etc.

So it's not as if the Int 2 is useless, as you'd expect, but I don't think it would cast significant obstacles in your path if you missed it. I didn't do the Higher, though, so take with a small pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    Who says that highers have to do all be done in one sitting? I didn't do all my highers in 5th yr, yet I still go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Who says that highers have to do all be done in one sitting? I didn't do all my highers in 5th yr, yet I still go to uni.
    Lots of universities say that they'll make higher offers for Highers not done in one sitting. EDIT: Which I realize isn't quite exactly what's in the OP.

e.g.

(Original post by http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/Undergraduate/prospective/infoschools.htm)
    Only applicants that have, or are predicted to achieve, the minimum academic qualification are considered for selection.

* SQA Highers - BBBB or BBBBB/ABBB in more than one sitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Lots of universities say that they'll make higher offers for Highers not done in one sitting. EDIT: Which I realize isn't quite exactly what's in the OP.

e.g.
    It says in more than one sitting, though? Ah well. I don't really care either way, haha :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I enjoyed Higher Economics. I'd already done Int. 2, but I think it's the sort of subject that would be too difficult to crash - the Int 2 and Higher courses are really not very dissimilar. It's not a particularly mathsy subject if you were looking for a sort of ample replacement for maths itself (which I'm not sure you are). It's quite discursive and essay based. Go for it

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my class is crashing it this year, because our school stopped running it at SG about 10 years ago... but there is an int.2 option if people fail the first higher NAB.
    However i'm finding it alright, I'm not pursuing it at uni or anything, I only chose it because there was nothing else to take haha, but I think for some people it's like marmite... but if you're good at memorizing things then it's quite an easy subject, if it interests you anyway, most of the people in my class just shut off and complain that they don't understand anything, but it just takes a good few reads of the notes I think
    I went on a trip for it at the Glasgow science centre and it was dire :| sitting listening to old men talk about the economy.. not for me haha. And there were a lot of "posh" schools there... I think mine's was one of the only public ones there- doesn't mean we're not intelligent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatesoup)
    And there were a lot of "posh" schools there... I think mine's was one of the only public ones there- doesn't mean we're not intelligent!
    You're absolutely right, and for much the same reason it's virtually irrelevant whether there were 'posh' schools there or not. I'm at university now, and for the most part I couldn't tell you who went to Westminster or Eton and who went to their local comprehensive. People are people are people.

It just happens that it's one of those subjects with a miniscule cohort (~150 or less each year) of which the overwhelming majority are private schools.

[/moan]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    You're absolutely right, and for much the same reason it's virtually irrelevant whether there were 'posh' schools there or not. I'm at university now, and for the most part I couldn't tell you who went to Westminster or Eton and who went to their local comprehensive. People are people are people.

It just happens that it's one of those subjects with a miniscule cohort (~150 or less each year) of which the overwhelming majority are private schools.

[/moan]
    I didn't mean to offend :-/ I just meant that where I live the subject isnt offered by many state schools, our's is one of the only in the area, so if someone wanted to take it at their school they wouldnt be able to, or they'd have to travel, which sucks . Just seems like a lot of economics teachers are going to private schools (where I live ). I wasn't meaning to say anything about which type of school a person goes to and how it can influence their intelligence or anything, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    ive been lucky enough to get the person who writes the exam as a teacher but he says that it is alot easier if you have done int2 not to say that crashing it is a bad idea but it tends to be harded as you have to learn all the int 2 stuff to get the higher.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.