Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey peeps

for my personal study (which is due in on thurs ) im reading the picture of dorian gray,
    my question is; how does oscar wilde explore good and evil through the development of the main character. aka dorian

i was wandering can someone please help me make a good plan for this essay or tell me the best scenes to use cause im really struggling

thank you

xxxxx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So you have given yourself 2 days for this piece of work? Good job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    So you have given yourself 2 days for this piece of work? Good job!
    yep i have indeed, but its only my first draft that is due in and the teacher said to hand it in if you can, so technically i have a couple of weeks
    ive read the book tho

ReputationRep:
    Do it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Dorian's picture represents a tangible manifestation of evil, while his youthful countenance is a physical symbol of 'not judging a book by its cover'.

They're both pretty subtle symbols within the novel, their many intricacies and layers proving to be a real intellectual stomping ground. I practically guarantee you an A* based on an analysis of these two much under-evaluated symbols.

ReputationRep:
    i would split the essay in two
    the Good side and development in Dorian Gray
    The evil side and development of Dorian Gray
    then perhaps chose like.. 2/3 of the main ways that you think are important for each of these sections
    x

ReputationRep:
    advanced higher english is a *****.

ReputationRep:
    Do your own work... No one is going to write you up a plan for your own personal study.

ReputationRep:
    I did PoDG. Mail me for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Do your own work... No one is going to write you up a plan for your own personal study.
    im not expecting anyone to write me a plan, thats not what i said i was just asking for tips ACTUALLY

ReputationRep:
    He is essentially a good person (as seen in the innocent opening chapters, where he has his relationship with the actress, and seems totally awe-inspired, with a child-like naivete, by Lord Hnery) but he is corrupted by vanity, encouraged by Lord Henry, and the power that brings. Hence the later actress he rejects - it seems like a good act, but his picture takes on a stance of hypocrisy, showing his purpose behind the act (correcting the picture rather than doing a genuinely good deed).

That's something that comes to mind, anyway. I adore the book, but I've never studied it in depth, only read it for pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much guys, i absolutly loved the book, i just find it difficult reading behond the words but i think i have a clear view of what to write about
    thank you so much

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.