Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to university in September but I am not sure about the whole freshers week thing.

I know each university is different, but when or how do you usually get information about it? Like when to buy tickets?

Is it really a fun thing? I am planning to go but I am just curious.

ReputationRep:
    My University sent out a Welcome pack in the first week of September, which had a booklet on general university information, and another booklet with our Freshers week events.
    Me, and most people I spoke to got their Freshers tickets online incase they sold out before Freshers week came. e.g. Freshers Ball, but some still got their tickets from the Union. Whatever you prefer really.

Unfortuantly for me, I managed to severely sprain my achillies on the second night of Freshers (4 hours up A&E.. fun fun!), so that was my Freshers week over. From people I've spoken to, some absolutley loved it and thought it was awesome, whereas others thought it was abit overhyped and boring. Depends on you I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe-Marie)
    My University sent out a Welcome pack in the first week of September, which had a booklet on general university information, and another booklet with our Freshers week events.
    Me, and most people I spoke to got their Freshers tickets online incase they sold out before Freshers week came. e.g. Freshers Ball, but some still got their tickets from the Union. Whatever you prefer really.

Unfortuantly for me, I managed to severely sprain my achillies on the second night of Freshers (4 hours up A&E.. fun fun!), so that was my Freshers week over. From people I've spoken to, some absolutley loved it and thought it was awesome, whereas others thought it was abit overhyped and boring. Depends on you I guess.
    Thanks.

Freshers ball? Is that where you have to dress very formal?

I am not sure how it works. Is it partying for the whole week with a different theme each day or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Lettuce)
    Thanks.

Freshers ball? Is that where you have to dress very formal?

I am not sure how it works. Is it partying for the whole week with a different theme each day or something?
    Thats ok!

Umm, from seeing photos of our Freshers Ball as I was unable to go to it, most people just dressed up like they would do for clubbing (although dont quote me on that!). I know with some Uni's it is a formal event.

Freshers week just has lots of information about uni life, society fairs on where you can look/join the societies, and other events on during the day. It's where you'll get introduced to your course and meet coursemates too. During the evenings the union usually puts on different nights... I think we had a School Disco themed night on the Wednesday.. and the Union usually brings in 'special' guests.. we had N Dubz and S Club 7 (yeah real classy!).

ReputationRep:
    Thats ok!

Umm, from seeing photos of our Freshers Ball as I was unable to go to it, most people just dressed up like they would do for clubbing (although dont quote me on that!). I know with some Uni's it is a formal event.

Freshers week just has lots of information about uni life, society fairs on where you can look/join the societies, and other events on during the day. It's where you'll get introduced to your course and meet coursemates too. During the evenings the union usually puts on different nights... I think we had a School Disco themed night on the Wednesday.. and the Union usually brings in 'special' guests.. we had N Dubz and S Club 7 (yeah real classy!).
    Hmm. Okay.

When you said you got your freshers week tickets online, did they get posted to you? If so, that is good .

ReputationRep:
    When i went to Birmingham you got the freshers tickets online before you went, but to be honest i only knew that because i had read it on here before i went. The university actually never sent out anything saying to get them or anything- which i thought was a bit crap. Especially when one of our flatmates didnt get any of the tickets because he wasnt aware of this.
    But then again after the first night its easy to get hold of some from people who dont wanna go out every night but brought the whole package for the week.

I would suggest you wait til early sept. see if you get any info from the unis but also look on the specific uni area on here to see if you hear anything about freshers tickets.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've been told, fresher's week is the best, most fun-filled weekend of your life, and if it's not true I'm going to be very disappointed!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Okay.

When you said you got your freshers week tickets online, did they get posted to you? If so, that is good .
    No, we could just print them out.

Perhaps it's worth looking on the University's forum on here? See if you can get the posts from September and find any information about what they did about tickets, and the general events held. At least then you may have some idea of what the Uni does for Freshers.

(Original post by xmarilynx)
    From what I've been told, fresher's week is the best, most fun-filled weekend of your life, and if it's not true I'm going to be very disappointed!
    :mmm:

tbh I expected nothing, but I enjoyed it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    No, we could just print them out.

Perhaps it's worth looking on the University's forum on here? See if you can get the posts from September and find any information about what they did about tickets, and the general events held. At least then you may have some idea of what the Uni does for Freshers.
    Okay, thanks .

It's just that I am the first in my family going to university so I don't know anything lol.

ReputationRep:
    I got most of my info on the Facebook pages, tbh. Have a look for your uni's freshers groups, and you'll always get promoters on there trying to make a quick buck out of the freshers.

(Original post by xmarilynx)
    Oh dear. Prepare to be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Be sure to nick some lemsip from your house before going, mind.

ReputationRep:
    yesss don't forget the lovely freshers flu- my mum sent me off with plasters, things for burns... but nothing for coughy, flu type things! And yes me and half my flat got freshers flu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    yesss don't forget the lovely freshers flu- my mum sent me off with plasters, things for burns... but nothing for coughy, flu type things! And yes me and half my flat got freshers flu
    Why would you get sick though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I got most of my info on the Facebook pages, tbh. Have a look for your uni's freshers groups, and you'll always get promoters on there trying to make a quick buck out of the freshers.

Oh dear. Prepare to be disappointed.
    So it isn't really that fun? I've seen pictures. It looks like a nice thing.

ReputationRep:
    People drinking a lot, going to bed late, getting exceedingly cold and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Well lots of people living near each other- many people catch anything going around. Also too many late nights and not enough sleep, made my immune system weaker i suppose!
    I knew quite a few people that had a cough/permenant cold during freshers week!

ReputationRep:
    So it isn't really that fun? I've seen pictures. It looks like a nice thing.
    Depends what you want, to be honest.

For me, I found that it was full of idiotic, too drunken freshers, all trying to get laid and failing miserably. Everything was overpriced, and there was just so much pressure to go out EVERY night, even when you were knackered and running out of cash.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I hope you like terrible music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Depends what you want, to be honest.

For me, I found that it was full of idiotic, too drunken freshers, all trying to get laid and failing miserably. Everything was overpriced, and there was just so much pressure to go out EVERY night, even when you were knackered and running out of cash.
    I guess I wouldn't mind that too much .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.