Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing my A2 Physics coursework at the moment and have decided to calculate the Young Modulus of copper wire because it is a pretty basic experiment.

I'm doing the whole getting a length of wire and hanging masses off it off the end of a table and seeing how much it stretches each time experiment.

My teacher says this is a bit basic to get a really good mark and told me there was another method of calculating the Young Modulus which I should do as well and then write my report on which is the most accurate. However, he said if he told me the method it would count as him helping me and I'd lose marks. I've been searching the internet for hours to find another way of doing it that i could carry out in a basic school physics room but I can only seem to find stupidly high tech ways of doing it which I would never be able to do.

Does anyone one have any idea what a good alternative Young Modulus experiment would be?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    We had a whole apparatus in our physics room when we measured the Young's Modulus of a piece of wire. It involved hanging weights on the wire (which was attatched to the ceiling) but it had a Vernier scale on the end to measure the tiny incerases... There was another wire next to the first as a comparison.
    The whole thing was named after a scientist who invented it but I can't remember his name! Sorry! It may be too similar to the method you used to count as an alternative anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Cantilever experiment maybe?

http://www.iop.org/activity/educatio...page_3982.html

check out about 3/4 way down the page...

ReputationRep:
    Use two wires with a vernier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spread_logic_not_hate)
    Cantilever experiment maybe?

http://www.iop.org/activity/educatio...page_3982.html

check out about 3/4 way down the page...
    Hi, Could you possibly help me out here I just want to get into that website without paying for registration because I dont really need to use it for that much but just checking out some info from young's modulus. Could you download the file and upload it on mediafire then send me link for it in private please? Thanks!

It's the apparatus in the diagram bottom right.
    It's called Searle's Method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INCEPTI0N)
    Hi, Could you possibly help me out here I just want to get into that website without paying for registration because I dont really need to use it for that much but just checking out some info from young's modulus. Could you download the file and upload it on mediafire then send me link for it in private please? Thanks!
    Sorry I don't have access to that site myself...

ReputationRep:
    Searl's apparatus

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.