Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I take my iphone to a genius bar, I know they'll replace a cracked screen for £140. Will they do a back cover on the spot as well, and do they include it in the £140 charge or is it yet more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    If I take my iphone to a genius bar, I know they'll replace a cracked screen for £140. Will they do a back cover on the spot as well, and do they include it in the £140 charge or is it yet more?
    They can probably do it on the spot.
    It will certainly cost more.

ReputationRep:
    If it's going to be more, I'll just use my insurance claim. The reason I haven't done so far is that they said they'll give me a full replacement but then almost certainly cancel my insurance contract afterwards. If I then go on to lose the phone before my contract is up, I'll be unable to get a new one without paying full price. Plus I won't have anything to re-sell.

ReputationRep:
    If it's going to be more, I'll just use my insurance claim. The reason I haven't done so far is that they said they'll give me a full replacement but then almost certainly cancel my insurance contract afterwards. If I then go on to lose the phone before my contract is up, I'll be unable to get a new one without paying full price. Plus I won't have anything to re-sell.
    Ouch - if I were you I'd use your insurance and then just be super careful with the phone! (unless your contract is going to last a very long time like 3 years or something this will probably be ok. Most likely your contract only has a few months left on it, and you're unlikely to lose your phone in this time).

Hope you get it all sorted buddy
    James

ReputationRep:
    Just checked on the Apple forums and someone said $199 (£139 in the uk) is a flat repair fee, and in fact they might just give me a new phone. I'm a bit sceptical, though, so I'll phone them first to confirm, I think!

ReputationRep:
    Why has your insurance company said they'll cancel the contract if you claim? Seems to defeat the point of paying for insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Just checked on the Apple forums and someone said $199 (£139 in the uk) is a flat repair fee, and in fact they might just give me a new phone. I'm a bit sceptical, though, so I'll phone them first to confirm, I think!
    If there's a self-inflicted problem with your iPhone (or if you're out of warranty), they'll almost always give you someone else's refurbished one unless it's something they can fix on the spot. So as long as the remaining parts (basically, the electronics inside) are salvageable they'll just charge you the one flat fee for repair.

ReputationRep:
    You pay £140 they give you a new phone. My phone had a cracked back, and was in warranty and they just gave me a new one free. They said if it was out of warranty it would be £140, which is a flat fee.

ReputationRep:
    call the warrenty number; it'll take longer but whenever you go to the genius bar; they find any reason to make you pay more money. they said i had to pay £140 for my class ic to be repaired whereas it was free when i called up the number

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    Why has your insurance company said they'll cancel the contract if you claim? Seems to defeat the point of paying for insurance?
    They always reserve the right. It's o2, actually. Basically I have less than 5 months on my contract so once I've claimed they view the amount they're still to make from me as being not worth my continued business. They'll get another £30 odd from me and take the risk of having to pay out for an entire new phone more than once. I'm therefore a liability and they'll be happy for an excuse to cancel! They have to pay out for the initial claim, but they don't have to continue insuring you after that.

(Original post by RightSaidJames)
    If there's a self-inflicted problem with your iPhone (or if you're out of warranty), they'll almost always give you someone else's refurbished one unless it's something they can fix on the spot. So as long as the remaining parts (basically, the electronics inside) are salvageable they'll just charge you the one flat fee for repair.
    Yeah my phone needs a new glass screen, also the touchscreen underneath as it's a deep crack. the damage to the back is relatively minor but it does need replacing because the crack will only get worse. Electronics wise, I assume its fine as the phone works without any problem. £140 for a nicely refurbished one would be fine. The resale value on it will still be more than that in 5 months.

By the way, there's no way I can claim this under warranty. Firstly, it's over 12 months old and secondly it's far too badly damaged to get away with claiming it's defective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Toffy)
    You pay £140 they give you a new phone. My phone had a cracked back, and was in warranty and they just gave me a new one free. They said if it was out of warranty it would be £140, which is a flat fee.
    Ditto. My original iPod Touch had a broken dock connector, so they gave me the option of spending £105 to get a replacement, or simply buying a newer version for £150 minus a 10% discount in return for giving them my original iPod. Needless to say I went for the latter because it was worth paying the extra £30 for a speaker and volume buttons plus a faster processor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Ditto. My original iPod Touch had a broken dock connector, so they gave me the option of spending £105 to get a replacement, or simply buying a newer version for £150 minus a 10% discount in return for giving them my original iPod. Needless to say I went for the latter because it was worth paying the extra £30 for a speaker and volume buttons plus a faster processor.

hmm.. do you reckon that for a bit more money they'd offer me a 3GS? If they did I might actually consider signing a new contract with o2 and keeping the same phone, income permitting.

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. do you reckon that for a bit more money they'd offer me a 3GS? If they did I might actually consider signing a new contract with o2 and keeping the same phone, income permitting.
    No, iPods aren't subsidised by the mobile phone networks on the basis that you'll sign a contract, so you won't be able to get a similar deal for the iPhone. The only way you'd be able to upgrade to a 3GS would be if you paid full price (i.e. £450+ for a new one).

ReputationRep:
    Went in and got a brand new 3G for £139 which I suppose is better than a refurb. Apple, of course, get for free the entirety of my phonebook. God knows what they do with that information, but I have my suspicions.

Oh, and I noticed something interesting. All the staff in the store have iPhones that I'm pretty sure are neither a 3G nor a 3GS. They're smaller, thinner and seem to be a lot faster, but only do certain things, like check customers in with appointments. Interesting...!

ReputationRep:
    I hate teh inconsistency with Genius Bar repairs. Sometimes (for some people in this thread) they give you a nice new one. Other times they **** you over sayinf that because it looks like its been dropped you have to pay. But then someone who posted got a replacement when the back was cracked, which could only really be caused by dropping. Piss me off sometimes. But on topic, I think they just give you a refurb one for the £140, no matter how many things are wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    Went in and got a brand new 3G for £139 which I suppose is better than a refurb. Apple, of course, get for free the entirety of my phonebook. God knows what they do with that information, but I have my suspicions.

Oh, and I noticed something interesting. All the staff in the store have iPhones that I'm pretty sure are neither a 3G nor a 3GS. They're smaller, thinner and seem to be a lot faster, but only do certain things, like check customers in with appointments. Interesting...!
    Theyre called iPod touches??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Theyre called iPod touches??
    Ah yeah that probably is what they were, since they'd only have needed wifi functionality to operate within the store. Makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah that probably is what they were, since they'd only have needed wifi functionality to operate within the store. Makes sense.
    Yeah, sorry if my tone seemed a bit angry, their genius bar randomness annoys me! They wont replace my iPhone!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Yeah, sorry if my tone seemed a bit angry, their genius bar randomness annoys me! They wont replace my iPhone!!!
    Why won't they replace it?

ReputationRep:
    Why won't they replace it?
    say dropped=invalidated warranty

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.