Turn on thread page Beta

Complications!!! KCL have stopped my course next year! watch

ReputationRep:
    ARGH!!!!!!!! First of all, UCAS send me an AS2E Acknowledgement letter saying I didn't put my full date of birth. So I phone them up and it appears they did have it afterall! What a waste of credit. It was a 0870 number as well (dunno if that's free or not).

In the letter, it also appears that my course code for Chemistry with a year abroad BSc was incorrect on my UCAS application. I swear I put it right! I phoned up King's College like I was instructed to do and it appears that they will be discontinuing this course next year! I'm not sure about the other Chemistry courses but this has yet added another stroke of bad luck to the most unlucky month I have ever had! My Christmas is so gonna be crap! They have decided to send me a letter with some other UCAS form to change my course and I guess this is a good chance for me to change my choice since I want to do Mathematics more than Chemistry and this course doesn't have a proper Italian option with it.

However, will this affect my chances of getting into my other university choices or not? It says on the acknowledgement letter that my application form has already been sent to the universities I have applied to so there's a chance that it was the 1 course which it will only affect.

God, why does applying for university have to be so complicated!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't worry about it! I'm certain its not going to affect your other courses, this sort of thing is rare as it is, I'm sure it won't happen again. So it's not that big of a catastrophe right? Unless Kings was your first choice, in which case I'm sorry

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to my friend. He applied for chem at Kings, and they sent him a letter saying they aren't doing it anymore! Dont worry..it shouldn't affect your application....in my opinion...you should just apply for the same course but at a different uni.

G

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, it was my 5th choice anyways so I guess it means I have a chance to do a different course now! That was the only course I applied to that was Chemistry anyways. The rest was Maths or Economics. I hope they send it to me quick because I might fall behind the many other applicants and have a smaller chance of getting an offer! But since it's Christmas......it's gonna take a while methinks.

ReputationRep:
    The chemistry department at King's is in big trouble at the moment. It's a tragedy if you ask me But it's because the numbers declined over the years I think, and they're having financial difficulties. It might end up being shut down - if I were you I'd play it safe and go somewhere else rather than run the risk of the department closing halfway through your degree.. But it shouldn't affect any of your other courses - it's a problem at KCL, not anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    ARGH!!!!!!!! First of all, UCAS send me an AS2E Acknowledgement letter saying I didn't put my full date of birth. So I phone them up and it appears they did have it afterall! What a waste of credit. It was a 0870 number as well (dunno if that's free or not).

In the letter, it also appears that my course code for Chemistry with a year abroad BSc was incorrect on my UCAS application. I swear I put it right! I phoned up King's College like I was instructed to do and it appears that they will be discontinuing this course next year! I'm not sure about the other Chemistry courses but this has yet added another stroke of bad luck to the most unlucky month I have ever had! My Christmas is so gonna be crap! They have decided to send me a letter with some other UCAS form to change my course and I guess this is a good chance for me to change my choice since I want to do Mathematics more than Chemistry and this course doesn't have a proper Italian option with it.

However, will this affect my chances of getting into my other university choices or not? It says on the acknowledgement letter that my application form has already been sent to the universities I have applied to so there's a chance that it was the 1 course which it will only affect.

God, why does applying for university have to be so complicated!!!
    I got that letter too, it took them like 2 months just to tell me that they will not be continuing the Biological Sciences course anymore so now I'm going for Biomedical which was actually my original choice but I got a bit scared when it said applicantslaces ratio was 70! I think it actually meant 7 but nevermind. It's not my 1st or 2nd choice so I don't really care anyway. They still haven't replied to me so I don't know what is going on with them cept I ain't impressed! ..and they're not exactly short of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    The chemistry department at King's is in big trouble at the moment. It's a tragedy if you ask me But it's because the numbers declined over the years I think, and they're having financial difficulties. It might end up being shut down
    Yep, the department is being shut down. It's an abomination in my eyes - there's a plaque on the wall outside commemorating Franklin Wilkins' discovery of DNA using x-ray diffraction too... ironic...

Bio-sciences isn't looking too good either - there is serious talk of the department being closed too.

Read this, from our student union web forums http://www.kclsu.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=24

ReputationRep:
    Why is it all closing down? I didn't think King's of all places had lack of funding or anything or lack of applicants..

ReputationRep:
    this sort of thing is rare as it is, I'm sure it won't happen again.
    both durham and leicester de montfort have stopped the courses i applied to

i reapplied to durham cos i really want to go there but i wasn't bothered about leicester de montfort so i applied at my 7th choice, sheffield. have yet to hear from either of them. i was annoyed cos it wasted so much potential choosing time. but hey, it's all sorted now. just get your reapplication form in asap.

ReputationRep:
    This has really messed up my mind at the mo. The only course I really want to do is either Maths with a language or Chemisty with a language, with Maths the preferred course. However, not many unis in London do them kind of courses and hence why I decided to also apply to SOAS to do Economics and Japanese, not exactly what I had in mind since my 1st choice would be Maths and Italian. I have already applied to 2 UCL courses (Maths with Modern Lang. and Chemistry with Italian), 1 LSE (Economics and Maths), 1 SOAS (Economics and Japanese) and 1 Greenwich (Maths and Italian). I'm not really keen on Queen Mary's and I don't think I have the grades for Imperial. Looks like I need a visit to my career's advisor once I return back to college.

I'm really surprised with King's since I went to about 15 lectures last year there as I was interested in Medicine back then and when I saw the buildings, especially 'that glass one', I was like 'WICKED!'. I thought that it was really rich and would never run into financial difficulties. Come on man, this is where DNA was discovered!!! (I think....)

ReputationRep:
    OK, it's seems that I haven't received a letter from King's like they said I would. Should I phone them up again or just wait until next week since it's the holidays? I really want to sort this out quickly so that whatever course I change to, my chances of being offered a place aren't reduced. I'm still having a problem deciding on what to change to though......Italian and Japanese at Cardiff University sounds perfect but I would have to live away from home and I dunno much about Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

Sorry but it's 11 days before the UCAS applications deadline and I have to get this sorted out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    Why is it all closing down? I didn't think King's of all places had lack of funding or anything or lack of applicants..

There's a massive shortage of would-be chemistry students at the moment - it's a national problem. All the sciences are suffering actually. Although that can work in your favour if you ARE one of the few scientists (Sorry about the late reply btw, didn't see this)

ReputationRep:
    OK, it's seems that I haven't received a letter from King's like they said I would. Should I phone them up again or just wait until next week since it's the holidays? I really want to sort this out quickly so that whatever course I change to, my chances of being offered a place aren't reduced. I'm still having a problem deciding on what to change to though......Italian and Japanese at Cardiff University sounds perfect but I would have to live away from home and I dunno much about Cardiff.

Phoning them up may be a good idea because you really do need to sort this out. Do you not want to live away from home? Cardiff's an excellent university and I hear the city's a good place with quite a lot going on...

ReputationRep:
    Phoning them up may be a good idea because you really do need to sort this out. Do you not want to live away from home? Cardiff's an excellent university and I hear the city's a good place with quite a lot going on...
    I dunno. I haven't asked my parents yet...I suppose I could apply first and if I get the offer, then consider it. My parents have asked me to live by myself before since we bought a second house and they asked me to stay behind to look after the house etc....but it never really came to that. Am I the only one who has never had any experience of living alone?

Since it's been the Christmas holidays, they probably don't have many people working at KCL right? Well, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see my careers advisor when I go back to college on Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. I haven't asked my parents yet...I suppose I could apply first and if I get the offer, then consider it. My parents have asked me to live by myself before since we bought a second house and they asked me to stay behind to look after the house etc....but it never really came to that. Am I the only one who has never had any experience of living alone?

Since it's been the Christmas holidays, they probably don't have many people working at KCL right? Well, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see my careers advisor when I go back to college on Tuesday.

I'd never had any experience of living on my own before I came up to uni!! And you'd be in halls for the first year so you would be looked after.

ReputationRep:
    There's a massive shortage of would-be chemistry students at the moment - it's a national problem. All the sciences are suffering actually. Although that can work in your favour if you ARE one of the few scientists (Sorry about the late reply btw, didn't see this)
    Yeah, I was offered BCC for my Physics with Computer Science course at KCL.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.