Turn on thread page Beta

Stop everything for just a minute!/Chemistry Exam watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have transition metal final exam on next week. So, I want to ask questions about small details
    When I drawing the weak-field d orbital splitting, should I leave longer space than the space between eg and t2g in the strong-field. Considering that electrons with low-spin(diamagnetic) have been effected by pairing energy. So that I could have short distance between d orbitals (eg,t2g). On the other hand, with high-spin(paramagnetic)electrons distributed individually in d orbitals which means that I would have long distance between d orbitals.
    Also, I can't stop thinking about how could I say
    Splitting energy > pairing energy
    Giving Long distance between d orbitals

Splitting energy < pairing energy
    Giving Short distance between d orbitals

If so, how can electrons with high-spin made to eg orbital unless if they are closer to each other than the low-spin when the Pairing energy influence electron's distribution, I get the long distance to explain the idea of splitting energy value.
    Now, I'm completely confused about it. Will I have the more stable complex with weak-field or the strong-field?

I already know that complex stability depends on the splitting energy and it goes along with it while it increasing.
    I want to draw triatomic molecules molecular orbital diagram such N-thiosynate, S-thiosynate, Phosphine and Ethylenediamine.
    What's the best book which can instruct me to the right method to do it all alone?
    I have Molecular orbital theory book by
    C.J. Ballhausen
    H.B. Gray

But, I think it’s a little bet complicated to understand without a teacher!
    Please help me.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanouf)
    Hello,

I have transition metal final exam on next week. So, I want to ask questions about small details
    When I drawing the weak-field d orbital splitting, should I leave longer space than the space between eg and t2g in the strong-field. Considering that electrons with low-spin(diamagnetic) have been effected by pairing energy. So that I could have short distance between d orbitals (eg,t2g). On the other hand, with high-spin(paramagnetic)electrons distributed individually in d orbitals which means that I would have long distance between d orbitals.
    Also, I can't stop thinking about how could I say
    Splitting energy > pairing energy
    Giving Long distance between d orbitals

Splitting energy < pairing energy
    Giving Short distance between d orbitals

If so, how can electrons with high-spin made to eg orbital unless if they are closer to each other than the low-spin when the Pairing energy influence electron's distribution, I get the long distance to explain the idea of splitting energy value.
    Now, I'm completely confused about it. Will I have the more stable complex with weak-field or the strong-field?

I already know that complex stability depends on the splitting energy and it goes along with it while it increasing.
    I want to draw triatomic molecules molecular orbital diagram such N-thiosynate, S-thiosynate, Phosphine and Ethylenediamine.
    What's the best book which can instruct me to the right method to do it all alone?
    I have Molecular orbital theory book by
    C.J. Ballhausen
    H.B. Gray

But, I think it’s a little bet complicated to understand without a teacher!
    Please help me.
    Thank you.
    Have you read advanced inorganic chemistry by cotton and wilkinson? they contain pretty much of undergrad inorganic(for me so far)

ReputationRep:
    I'll read it.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely doubt you'll "read it", given that my edition, at least, is nigh-on one-and-a-half thousand pages of pretty solid text.

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely doubt you'll "read it", given that my edition, at least, is nigh-on one-and-a-half thousand pages of pretty solid text.
    Your concern has been noticed. Thanks

I won't read the whole book. I'll find the particular chapter which is related to my questions.
    I'm afraid to let you dawn.
    Sorry!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.