Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend keeps nagging me about Phy or Phil & Eth for medicine and since I am a MathsyPhysics person I don't know:

Confirmed subjects: Maths Chem Bio Extended Project

Now obviously I would say Phy; Mechanics bit will be easy due to Maths and helps understand energy levels in Chem lol

But Phil shows variation??? ethics can be used in medicine??

Thanks

Rep too lol

ReputationRep:
    this is outrageously easy. physics

ReputationRep:
    I would say philosophy for variation. Whichever she's likely to get better in is probably the better thing to think about though.

ReputationRep:
    Do whichever your like best - you have biol and chem so it really doesn't matter and is hardly urgent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heinsmit)
    this is outrageously easy. physics
    because...

ReputationRep:
    Phil; it can be more easily applied, and it develops essay writing you'd need for thesi/es, right?
    Plus it's a break from the robotic formula learning and gives you space to actually think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight)
    ethics can be used in medicine??
    Is it Philosophy and Ethics? Because the Philosophy I do would be of no use whatsoever. I can see where you're coming from with Ethics coming in useful though, and putting medicine into practice etc. At the same time, Physics is sciencey but I didn't think you needed three sciences to go into medicine. Perhaps you should do whatever one you're best at/will enjoy the most?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloeee02)
    I would say philosophy for variation. Whichever she's likely to get better in is probably the better thing to think about though.
    Thanks. I see you've got extended project; how much does that help?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for Physics. Reason = you say you are a Physics and Maths person and appear to be only considering Philosophy because your girlfriend suggested it. It won't really matter what your 4th subject is, so definitely do the one you prefer, which to me sounds like Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    Is it Philosophy and Ethics? Because the Philosophy I do would be of no use whatsoever. I can see where you're coming from with Ethics coming in useful though, and putting medicine into practice etc. At the same time, Physics is sciencey but I didn't think you needed three sciences to go into medicine. Perhaps you should do whatever one you're best at/will enjoy the most?
    Yup it's P&E...not me my gf bdw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Phil, it can be more easily applied
    But that will help because...

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend keeps nagging me about Phy or Phil & Eth for medicine and since I am a MathsyPhysics person I don't know:

Now obviously I would say Phy + Mechanics bit will be easy due to Maths and helps understand energy level in Chem lol

Thanks

Rep too lol
    ethics is the common sense subject of undergrad medicine - go for physics, it will tremendously enhance your understanding and you will miss out far more from not doing it than philsophy which won't masively help with ethics which is a bit of a joke anyway.. go for physics unless you are really interested in philosophy

ReputationRep:
    a) Which subject do you prefer?
    b) Which subject are you best at?

The answers to those 2 questions should help you decide which subject to take.

ReputationRep:
    Partly for the reasons you've already mentioned (ethics, analysing). I've edited my comment now btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Definitely go for Physics. Reason = you say you are a Physics and Maths person and appear to be only considering Philosophy because your girlfriend suggested it. It won't really matter what your 4th subject is, so definitely do the one you prefer, which to me sounds like Physics.
    No no not me big boy...

ReputationRep:
    Physics is a very well respected subject and since you said yourself that you're a Maths/Physics person I think you know the answer.

ReputationRep:

Now obviously I would say Phy + Mechanics bit will be easy due to Maths and helps understand energy level in Chem lol

Thanks

Rep too lol
    ethics is the common sense subject of undergrad medicine - go for physics, it will tremendously enhance your understanding and you will miss out far more from not doing it than philsophy which won't masively help with ethics which is a bit of a joke anyway.. go for physics unless you are really interested in philosophy.. and next time post in the medicine forum for better and more reliable advice..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Physics is a very well respected subject and since you said yourself that you're a Maths/Physics person I think you know the answer.
    No no not me sonny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    ethics is the common sense subject of undergrad medicine - go for physics, it will tremendously enhance your understanding and you will miss out far more from not doing it than philsophy which won't masively help with ethics which is a bit of a joke anyway.. go for physics unless you are really interested in philosophy
    Thanks I think your argument wins Medicine for her then oOo *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Phil; it can be more easily applied, and it develops essay writing you'd need for thesi/es, right?
    Plus it's a break from the robotic formula learning and gives you space to actually think!
    Na na mikal you have to think a lot in Physics too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.