Turn on thread page Beta

Urgent Physics Or Philosophy For Medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry, misunderstood your post. Ask your girlfriend which one she prefers / is best at. It'll make no real difference which one she does.

ReputationRep:
    physics ftw.

ReputationRep:
    There are advantages to both; Philosophy will give you more variety but Physics will link in better. Why not do both and drop the one you least prefer at AS?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is really interesting, the one medic in our class finds it a nice break from maths/science, in terms of school timetable.

ReputationRep:
    philosophy and ethics definitely!!!

i know some1 who got all a*s at gcse and all as at a level but got NO offers for medicine BECAUSE he only had sciences----they def prefer if you have a humanity and because ethics has a medical ethics section, they like that even more! and it gives you things to talk about in depth and with a scholarly background knowledge when it comes to the interview
    good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gopika123)

i know some1 who got all a*s at gcse and all as at a level but got NO offers for medicine BECAUSE he only had sciences----they def prefer if you have a humanity and because ethics has a medical ethics section, they like that even more! and it gives you things to talk about in depth and with a scholarly background knowledge when it comes to the interview
    i did no arts at all... Most medics in my year did similar.. he probably performed poorly at interview.

ReputationRep:
    I do both. If you're lazy, do Physics. I'm not entirely sure about 'Philosophy and Ethics' though (i.e. how universities view upon it), I study just Philosophy. It's time consuming if essay-writing isn't a forte, and worse if you're a bad procrastinator. P&E might be useful if you want to apply to UCL; last time I checked they give a slight preference to those with an arts subject. It may also help with section 3 of the BMAT, though I think physics would be more helpful for section 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight)
    Na na mikal you have to think a lot in Physics too
    Haha I think you already knew your answer tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight)
    Thanks. I see you've got extended project; how much does that help?
    I don't know yet! It's just a little extra that I hope will get me noticed more, but it does give you examples to talk about you doing independent research. I'd say do it if you can but not if it's going to be too much of a hassle.

Physics:
    Forces, elasticity, strength of materials, levers, mechanics
    Med:
    joints, muscles, bones, fractures

Physics:
    Sound
    Med:
    Ear, hearing

Phys:
    Light, optics, lenses
    Med:
    Eye, optics, lenses

Phys:
    X-Rays, gamma rays, radioactivity
    Med:
    X-Rays, radiography, radiotherapy

Phys:
    Quantum theory, atomic theory
    Helps with chem

Phys
    Practical work, measurement
    Med:
    Use of instrumentation, measurement

Philosophy & Ethics:
    writing incomprehensible essays
    Med:
    Writing prescriptions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Oh sorry, misunderstood your post. Ask your girlfriend which one she prefers / is best at. It'll make no real difference which one she does.
    No worries. Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    Philosophy is really interesting, the one medic in our class finds it a nice break from maths/science, in terms of school timetable.
    Yeah thought so...but don't you think they will be put off as in chose P&E cause you wanted a break (obviously not what you say in the interview)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    I do both. If you're lazy, do Physics. I'm not entirely sure about 'Philosophy and Ethics' though (i.e. how universities view upon it), I study just Philosophy. It's time consuming if essay-writing isn't a forte, and worse if you're a bad procrastinator. P&E might be useful if you want to apply to UCL; last time I checked they give a slight preference to those with an arts subject. It may also help with section 3 of the BMAT, though I think physics would be more helpful for section 2.
    Really. Is it just in their website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    Physics:
    Forces, elasticity, strength of materials, levers, mechanics
    Med:
    joints, muscles, bones, fractures

Physics:
    Sound
    Med:
    Ear, hearing

Phys:
    Light, optics, lenses
    Med:
    Eye, optics, lenses

Phys:
    X-Rays, gamma rays, radioactivity
    Med:
    X-Rays, radiography, radiotherapy

Phys:
    Quantum theory, atomic theory
    Helps with chem

Phys
    Practical work, measurement
    Med:
    Use of instrumentation, measurement

Philosophy & Ethics:
    writing incomprehensible essays
    Med:
    Writing prescriptions
    Fooking beautiful!!! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gopika123)

What rubbish. Plenty of people get in for medicine with all sciences. What about his UKCAT, BMAT, interviews, personal statement, work experience? There are plenty of reasons why he could have got rejected. I suggest you stop talking nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I actually have a friend who was actually asked how physics could be applied to medicine specifically during one of his interviews,which he only supposedly knew because someone had mentioned physics and some areas, I think the one he used was optometry, which is siginifcantly more to do with physics than chem or bio, however, philosphy is still a decent a levelto get, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't biased towards saying physics.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.