Turn on thread page Beta

if the Conservaives get into power could they reverse devolution watch

ReputationRep:
    Reversal of devolution would cause an absolute uproar in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quintro)
    Isn't an answer to the question asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Isn't an answer to the question asked.
    Not every reply has to directly answer the question asked in the first post. I was simply commenting on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quintro)
    For the moment, yes, it'd be thoroughly unpopular. I think many people in England, whilst understanding what devolution does, have little idea of the Home Rule movement in Scotland which led to it and how much of a political issue it was beforehand.

Still, I could easily see the Scottish Parliament becoming dissolved at some point in the distant future. If there was another significant war, for example, or a scandal that brought the whole thing into disrepute, or perhaps some form of serious political or constitutional deadlock - which is obviously made more likely by Proportional Representation.

(Original post by Rinsed)
    They are generally in favour of a decentralisation of power though, and it looks likely they'd give devolved governments more powers. Handing responsibility to the Scots over income tax has been discussed.
    Well, what I've heard - straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak - is that the idea of devolving taxation powers in any serious way would be anathema to most of the Conservatives in the Scottish Parliament, as indeed would a lot of the silly 'extra powers' that the Calman Commission recommended, such as the theoretical power to alter the national speed limit.

Conservatives' ideas about decentralising power are quite different to Labour's. Whilst Labour created devolved assemblies, and tried to extend them into the English regions, the Tories would be more committed to giving power to existing local authorities and (I hope) further down to parish level. In many ways, the Scottish Parliament has been a centralising force: at first, powers belonging to local authorities were transferred to it and now successive Scottish Executives have tried to rob them of even more independence in their functions.

A predictable pile of crap, really.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, the Welsh and Scots wouldn't like it very much.

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely hope they do not, I'm in favour of a fully devolved Scotland. An end to England subsidising Scotland, an end to the West Lothian question, and less anti English government imposed on England by Celtic grievance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    I sincerely hope they do not, I'm in favour of a fully devolved Scotland. An end to England subsidising Scotland, an end to the West Lothian question, and less anti English government imposed on England by Celtic grievance.
    Federal Britain?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they would. Here in wales, at least, the conservatives seem to be trying to make themselves more appealing to the electorate and making themselves seem less "anti-welsh", they haven't said that they support the assembly but they're not taking a strong stance against it like they would in the past.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they did get rid of the welsh assembly, I've yet to feel there is any significant purpose to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShaqZigWINNER64)
    I doubt they would. Here in wales, at least, the conservatives seem to be trying to make themselves more appealing to the electorate and making themselves seem less "anti-welsh", they haven't said that they support the assembly but they're not taking a strong stance against it like they would in the past.
    Oh no, the Tories in Wales support it and the extension of its powers.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland should become a fully independent and autonomous nation. The Tories would never initiate this, nor would they reverse devolution - but they would probably like to.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting that I've never come across a single English nationalist who is not an ignorant ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's interesting that I've never come across a single English nationalist who is not an ignorant ****.
    Oh look - someone disagrees with me - I Lib declare them a small minded ignorant ****!

ReputationRep:
    Oh look - someone disagrees with me - I Lib declare them a small minded ignorant ****!
    That I consider some people I disagree with to be small minded, ignorant and *****sh does not mean that I consider everyone I disagree with small minded, ignorant and *****sh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.