Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to put forward a debate exploring whether disabled models should or should not be more involved in our fashion industry.

If you have any opinion please express it - it will be very helpful.

I relise my question may be vague but I am looking at having e.g people in shop windows depicted with disabilities, children with hearing aids as models for posters, actual big brands such as Prada lining their fashion on the catwalk and allowing some to be presented by disabled models.

What are your views?

Is it good? Or is this terrible?

ReputationRep:
    idk i suppose it would be nice to see more people brought in, but i doubt it will take off

ReputationRep:
    I think the idea of disabled models is great - we are all equal, etc. However I don't like that all the big brands are featuring disabled models just to show that they're diverse, etc, not because they actually care.
    If you get me?

ReputationRep:
    how would a person with no legs model shorts?

ReputationRep:
    People will focus more on the disability than the clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Most fashion brands are nervous about using anyone over a UK size 12 as they are imperfect size-wise - I really can't see them wanting to use models with disabilities except as a gimmick.

ReputationRep:
    If there was a market for that sort of thing then the fashion industry would already be covering it.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    The whole point of the models within the fashion industry it to advertise their products to the general public. Not a specific group such as those with disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean this at all offensively, but surely the whole point of fashion advertising is to display the clothes in the best possible way? If the best way to market a clothing range was to use models with missing limbs or other disabilities, then I'd be completely in favour of the idea; however, as it stands (EDIT: just realised that this could be construed as a really bad pun ^_^!), the clothes sold by top designers tend to look best on skinny catwalk models (which is in itself a controversial idea). Incidentally, I think the whole *using larger models* debate is a bit silly and politically correct - I completely agree that it's a big problem that some girls may feel influenced to 'starve themselves pretty', but leaving that issue aside for the purposes of this argument, I think that if a tiny model best suits the clothes, then so be it. If it is the case that a 'plus size model' will fit requirements better, then by all means use them .

As for disabilities in other types of advertising - yes, there's no reason why they shouldn't be used, and it would be nice to see a bit more diversity in ad campaigns!

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldnt they?
    Sounds like a bit of a lame topic to debate.
    If they have a market to advertise to they will use people from that market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteFairBeauty)
    Ridiculous idea. when will people learn that if you are disabled or are black/southern asian. You simply cannot be a model.

You do not represent the interests of either the consumer or the designer.

No one wants to see disabled/black/indian models on european and american catwalks.
    What about Naomi Campbell? I heard she was into that modelling stuff :rolleyes:...

ReputationRep:
    Unless they're modelling wheelchairs then I don't see the point. I don't want to look at pictures of deformed people any more than they want to be crippled. Models are chosen for their aesthetic qualities, picking them for social, political or charitable reasons is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabobble)
    What about Naomi Campbell? I heard she was into that modelling stuff :rolleyes:...
    European and american designers dont want black models selling their products. Naomi Campbell is a 'token' black model

http://bossip.com/125751/loreal-we-d...our-cosmetics/

ReputationRep:
    They shouldnt be. I cant stand affirmative action. Somebody is going to eventually do this and claim they're the **** for thinking of thier new, edgy and original idea which aims to challenge and conquer our existing beliefs.

******* art is for a bunch of ***** i wish people were not allowed to talk about it, i dont mind them looking but the conversation inveitabely turns into some psuedo-intellectual *****.

ReputationRep:
    Do disabled people not feel the need to buy clothes at the moment? Or are they just unable to tell what clothes look like without the model being disabled?

ReputationRep:
    Models are there to show off clothes, not to make people feel nice about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcurseofcurvesx)
    how would a person with no legs model shorts?
    I meant people with prostchetic legs, wheelchairs, crotches etc.

Even simple disabilities like hearing aids would be important :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chadz)
    I meant people with prostchetic legs, wheelchairs, crotches etc.

Even simple disabilities like hearing aids would be important :yes:
    You mean that people with crotches are disabled?!?!
    EDIT: You meant crutches. Sorry. I'm a bit slow this morning

ReputationRep:
    Been watching How To Look Good Naked, OP? :rolleyes:

(Original post by RainbowDrops)
    I think the idea of disabled models is great - we are all equal, etc. However I don't like that all the big brands are featuring disabled models just to show that they're diverse, etc, not because they actually care.
    If you get me?
    This.

However, I don't see why there's such an uproar about it. Models are usually able bodied just so the the customer/viewer/whatever can actually see all the clothes that are being modelled, how they fit and hang etc, something that wheelchair bound models can't realistically do completely.

It's not always a discrimination thing, it's just being practical.

ReputationRep:
    This is absolute nonsense and hypocrisy. Those who support disabled models often claim they're doing it for "equality" yet, funnily enough, only the prettiest disabled models will be considered. What's worse, discriminating someone on the way their face/body looks (which they have no control over, either) or on the fact that they have an obvious physical disability, by allowing disabled women/men to be models they're simply shifting the discrimination and "inequality" around. If you support "equality" and "anti-discrimination" then, go ahead, allow everyone from Susan Boyle to Angelina Jolie be a model.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.