Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically I want to get into dentistry but im not really sure of how im supposed to get work experience ... should i do it with the NHS? - and how should i approach them about it?

Any help will be really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Go to your local dentist's surgery then ask the dentist(s) there or send an email or letter to them directly. Go on NHS direct for contact details and addresses.

(Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    Go to your local dentist's surgery then ask the dentist(s) there or send an email or letter to them directly. Go on NHS direct for contact details and addresses.
    my dentist told me i could shadow him but not actually do proper work experience since im not insured .... will i need to be insured for the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright.Inspiration.)
    my dentist told me i could shadow him but not actually do proper work experience since im not insured .... will i need to be insured for the NHS?
    when people refer to work experience they really mean shadowing- no one would insure someone unqualified to practise on people's teeth! the main thing is that you get to see the dentist at work and ask him questions about whats going on

ReputationRep:
    with most unis its minimum 2 / 2 and a half weeks at a NHS practice....any extra is liked but NHS is a definite i think... well thats what im doing anyway ... you wont be allowed to do anything else apart from shadow him, coz i think its illegal for you to nurse unless ur qualified...well thats what i was told...yeah so just got to ur dentsits and ask if you can shadow him for a week

(Original post by overtherainbow)
    when people refer to work experience they really mean shadowing- no one would insure someone unqualified to practise on people's teeth! the main thing is that you get to see the dentist at work and ask him questions about whats going on
    i see, so if i just shadow him it'll be considered an equivalent of work experience?

ReputationRep:
    i see, so if i just shadow him it'll be considered an equivalent of work experience?
    Yeah

(Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    Yeah
    Thanks !
    I've emailed NHS about it, and also im going to do be shadowing a dentist in private practice too

ReputationRep:
    as said above- yep :yep: just make sure you are interested and ask questions and learn stuff from it and youll be fine- i really doubt anyone can get experience where they are allowed to practise

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !
    I've emailed NHS about it, and also im going to do be shadowing a dentist in private practice too
    Thats good, make sure you ask loads of questions, hope you enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Try and get it as varied as possible, and in as many difference practices because it enables you to see lots of different equipment/methods of doing similar treatments.

Try and get some hospital + orthodontic stuff too!

Edit; be prepared for rejection, some places are too busy/dont want to take on work experience people..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.