Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I have applied for Art Gallery and Museum Studies (or Art Museum and Gallery Studies, depending on the school) at Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, and Leicester. I know Leicester is the top school for Museum Studies, but I'm not sure if living in that particular city appeals to me as much. I haven't been to any of these places as I live in Canada, so if you have any insight on the cities, culture, and museums/galleries, or the program specifically, that would be wonderful! I have been accepted into all but Leeds, which I have an interview for coming up.

Thanks!
    -Michelle

ReputationRep:
    Leeds and Manchester are probably the best of those universities for Art History more generally. Manchester would probably have the most vibrant cultural scene, followed by Leeds, Newcastle and then Leicester. Manchester University also has the Whitworth Gallery and other major cities such as Leeds, Sheffield and Liverpool are accessible within an hour.

All those places would be regarded as 'post-industrial' cities and have experienced significant change in recent times, particularly Leeds and Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I think I'm in a similar boat to you! American student just applied to the same program in exactly the same places! I've been accepted to all (except Newcastle, didn't apply there) and I'm really not sure what to do! Like you said, Leicester seems to be tops academically, but these forums seem to be telling me that Leeds and Manchester have an overall better reputation. Still hoping a UK student will give me some guidance on which would be the best option for living/career options/ reputation!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies!
    Nice to hear someone is in a similar predicament! I have narrowed it down to Leeds and Manchester, as Leicester still doesn't appeal to me as a city and doesn't have a good amount of museums/galleries (funny considering the program recognition).
    Manchester has really great museums and galleries but I'm not sure about the city. Leeds has good resources (but not as good as Manchester, so it appears..), and seems like a nice place, but I'm not sure if the program is as interdisciplinary as I'd like.
    Maybe we'll end up in the same place kdh28 . Do you have any top choices? Good luck deciding!

ReputationRep:
    Leeds and Manchester are fairly similar places on the whole, neither is particularly 'picturesque', Leeds is smaller and quieter but I don't know whether that equates to 'nicer'. I suppose the campus at Leeds is a bit more suburban.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've narrowed it down to Manchester and Leeds as well! It is so strange that Leicester is so well known when the city is so small and lacking in "culture". Between Manchester and Leeds, I'm stuck too! I've been to Manchester quite a few times actually, and I really like it. It is a bit rough in places because it is a big city, but it has a really cool vibe, lots to do and great places to intern! I've never been to Leeds, so thats a bit unfair. I do like the idea of it being a little quieter. What do you mean that Manchester has more resources? As in couseling/career resources? Or their university museums? At the moment, Manchester is in the lead for me, but having talked to the program director at Leeds (as you will too when you have your interview) they sound very art history directed and also very supportive of the thesis. Let me know if you find out anything good!

ReputationRep:
    Also, I'm so glad there's someone else wondering the same things as me. In the end Manchester and Leeds seem so similar! And it seems overall from brits I've talked to that their reputations are the some. I'd love love love any more thoughts on how one or the other is considered in the professional world!

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking Manchester has a better reputation but Leeds has probably been highly regarded in Art Historical circles for longer.

ReputationRep:
    It always seems like there is no clear choice between them! so confused. going to just have to pick one and hope for the best I guess!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the MA at Leicester. I would recommend this course because it's so highly regarded, it is only an hour on the train to London (and if you book train tickets in advance it can be really cheap), and the 8 week work placement can be anywhere in the UK, so although there aren't lots of galleries and museums in the city, you won't really be at a disadvantage. Birmingham and Sheffield are near too. I do agree that in terms of nightlife etc, Manchester and Leeds are better, but overall I'd still prefer Leicester. I went to an open day a few weeks ago and was so impressed by the department and its staff. Good luck with whatever you all do though!

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I have accepted a place on the MA Art Gallery and Mus studs in Manchester. Have any of you formally confirmed your place? I would like to start a forum about accomodation and reading for the course. I am moving down from Aberdeen so it is a big change for me!

Best,
    Eilidh

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.